Grease fitting for bar sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reaperman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a fitting that can be purchased to fit on a regular sized grease gun that is reduced down to the small point that can grease a bar sprocket? Or is the only option, to buy a small gun with the small pointed fitting already on.

I tried fitting my grease gun with needle fitting and it just makes a mess. I have an extra grease gun that comes with the husky saws that you could have for (free! - just send me a pm with your address). It is made for greasing the sprocket (and some husky bearings with hole in the shaft) and works real well
At least two of this sites sponsors carry a heavier duty (and inexpensive) gun made for sprockets, etc.:

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=17225+01&catID=341
http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Dualco_Chainsaw_Grease_Gun_p/dualco grease gun.htm

Buy the needle fitting (Napa, Autozone, etc....) then ask for a zerk fitting with the proper threads to fit it , screw the zerk into the needle fitting. Now all you have to do to use it is connect it like a regular grease fitting to your grease gun, when you are done pop it out, no tools needed. Keep it in a zip lock baggie to keep dirt off it and grease off everything else

:cheers: :biggrinbounce2:

nose grease

Reaper, there is a needle greaser attachment available that comes complete with the zerk fitting already attached.I bought mine at TSC.Any auto parts store should have this.In response to SawTroll, I must agree, especially the Stihl brand bars, the ones I've seen don't event have a grease port and Stihl says they're life-lubed.I have one that has spent its life cutting telephone polls with creosote and shows no sign of slop or bearing wear, it has consumed over ten chains so far though the bar rails need to be filed.

thats what i always thought sawtroll but i remember watching a husky video and they said that the grease wasn't really for lubrication. it was more for forcing out debri from the tip and keeping the roller clean.

Does anyone know if there is a fitting that can be purchased to fit on a regular sized grease gun that is reduced down to the small point that can grease a bar sprocket? Or is the only option, to buy a small gun with the small pointed fitting already on.

We sell those tips, I'll get them up on the web tommorrow.

Thanks for the replies, the reason I ask is I now own a second saw. A husky 137, which I got thru a promo at NT when I bought a new splitter. This saw has the grease hole for the sprocket and didnt come with a greaser. I wanted to buy a small grease gun at NT but they didnt have one. I was at a hardware store this weekend and the only grease gun they had for a chainsaw was some little POS for $25! It was then when I first thought about a different fitting for a regular gun.

Thanks for the offer Wildbio, very generous, but I'll decline, I'll just pick up one of the needle fittings. Thanks

Yup, put the needle on it. I have one I had to buy for the U-joints on my front axle and it also greases the bar sprocket. It will also shoot grease 50 feet away if you're in to that kinda thing...

I don't care - I believe the bar oil lubes it well enough.....:)

I would agree.

If you are hell-bent on greasing, I've tried greasing by just holding the grease gun up to the hole. Assuming I am holding the gun to the bar tight enough, plenty of grease goes in. The rest can be wiped off or smeared on the bar or whatever. Looking down into the sprocket nose after doing this, it looks like plenty of grease got in there.

We have them listed: http://www.amickssuperstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Grease+Gun+Adaptor

Grease%20Gun%20Adaptor-2T.jpg

Cost of taxes and shipping?.
I may buy another one. You can't wear them out. I use a Wallyworld mini gun. The HF one developed internal leaking and grease by passes the plunger. Sure beats those plastic things for 5 bucks and you choose what grease you want. High Temp for me.

I have the needle fitting for a full size grease gun and I also have a micro grease gun I bought from Bailey's. The micro gun is much easier to use, can be filled either with cartridges or bulk. I like to turn the sprocket while I'm injecting grease and the micro gun makes this easy. I paid about 5 bux for it from Bailey's 5+ years ago, 1000psi, thumb press.

Those plastic turkey baster looking things are for THAT Guy who uses his saw once in a while. THIS guy needed the minigrease gun and adapter. My Three Brothers can get by because even though two of em are younger I'm the die hard heck no ain't gonna stop at my age Guy. I work and even Ride a Bicycle everyday. I'm trying to be an old Elk. When I do go down I plan on staying down. I'm a chicken now. As badly as my mind beggs I've stopped climbing. Don't mind dropping and bucking. Dragging limbs and such but guys my age don't bounce well. Have a great day.

I tried fitting my grease gun with needle fitting and it just makes a mess. I have an extra grease gun that comes with the husky saws that you could have for (free! - just send me a pm with your address). It is made for greasing the sprocket (and some husky bearings with hole in the shaft) and works real well
At least two of this sites sponsors carry a heavier duty (and inexpensive) gun made for sprockets, etc.:

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=17225+01&catID=341
http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Dualco_Chainsaw_Grease_Gun_p/dualco grease gun.htm
Thats what i love about this site. People like you helping out with things. I put a W.T.B a old stihl log badge and a dude sent me one for free! Wouldnt take money for it either.. good ****..cheers!

Latest posts

Back