Check my plug color

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About right if you ask me...but I don't know much about saws.

Although it is possible to adjust the H screw by ear, I prefer to use a tach. If you don't have a tach, a local dealer may tach and adjust it for nothing provided they aren't real busy. The plug should be tan in color, which in your photo, looks like it is.

I say it looks OK,,,,

Does it idle well and accelerate well?????:cheers:

It will idle forever, but sometimes, if I set it down, it will quit the second I touch the saw to pick it up(literally as soon as I touch it).
Good acceleration and power.

Although it is possible to adjust the H screw by ear, I prefer to use a tach. If you don't have a tach, a local dealer may tach and adjust it for nothing provided they aren't real busy. The plug should be tan in color, which in your photo, looks like it is.

When you tach it, do you do it WOT out of the cut? How long can I run it this way without doing anything to hurt the saw. I am extra cautious about these saws since original p/c are NLA. I know I can make other p/c work, but this is easier.

Looks good to me, what oil mix, octane rating, and oil brand are you using?

Jonsered oil, 40:1 mix with 91 octane 10% ethanol blend(no choice up here in MN).

Most of my stuff runs darker than this(probably too rich). The fuel is about 3 months old, so I know I am at the end of its life. It was the last mix I had. Fresh stuff next time.

Since it looks good, I will try to get a tach on it and see where I am at. What about the carb spitting fuel into the air filter? What does that indicate or is it normal on some carbs?

Last edited:
I'm going to go against the crowd here and say that looks lean to me. That is not the cocoa brown I've always been taught to look for in a properly tuned 2-stroke. I'd call that a tan. I ran a highly modded Yamaha Banshee for years and would never run a plug that light colored, nor would my buddies. What's your WOT RPMs?

I'm going to go against the crowd here and say that looks lean to me. That is not the cocoa brown I've always been taught to look for in a properly tuned 2-stroke. I'd call that a tan. I ran a highly modded Yamaha Banshee for years and would never run a plug that light colored, nor would my buddies. What's your WOT RPMs?

Haven't tached it out, yet. How long do I safely run at WOT. I have a cheapie tach, so I don't use it much, but it does give a semi-accurate reading, but you have to wait a few seconds. I don't want to burn it up getting the reading.

I looked on Mike's site and all the info it gives is 10,000 operating. I need to find out what it is out of the cut. I am guessing around 12,000-12,500??

When I tach a saw, I crank it and let it warm up for at least 2 minutes.

Then give it a few wide open burts, short, then back to idle.

Then hook up the tach lead, and get a good idle reading.

With the chain/bar on, and tensioned, I go wide open till the rpms stop climbing.

If I see it is going to exceed the limits of the engine, lift off, back to idle.

Make an adjustment to richen the H mixture, then go again. If it still revs too high, I give it another adjustment to richen the mixture.

If it still doesnt respond I know I have a fuel delivery problem, or an air leak, and go from there.

If it responds, and you are able to capture a WOT rpm, tune from there.

When I assembled my Husky 350, It tached out initially at like 11,000 or so. I put the screw driver on the needle and held it wide open, slowly turning until it settled at 13,500.

I let it idle, then pulled it wide open again and it was at 13,500 +/- 50.

Best to start rich, and tune it leaner.

We use a PET-1100 tach.

http://www.echo-worldwide.com/products/lineup.html?cate=cate.tachometers

I ended up with about 12,500...give or take a few hundred. Plug is darker, now. More like cocoa. I opened up the H another 1/8 turn or a little more. My "four stroke" sound might have been slightly too lean for my taste.

I need a better tach(for sure), but there is no way that I can get it until I get rid of a few saws. I had to hide the last two and I don't like doing that. Maybe this summer, I can upgrade.

I ended up with about 12,500...give or take a few hundred. Plug is darker, now. More like cocoa. I opened up the H another 1/8 turn or a little more. My "four stroke" sound might have been slightly too lean for my taste.

I need a better tach(for sure), but there is no way that I can get it until I get rid of a few saws. I had to hide the last two and I don't like doing that. Maybe this summer, I can upgrade.

Dont go by plug color until you've loaded it.

Find a good thick log, crank the saw, let it warm up.

Make 1 cut, 2 cuts, 3 cuts, 4 cuts, halfway through the 5th cookie, kill the motor with the kill switch.

Now read the plug....

Back