Another Homelite Followed Me Home...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GASoline71

Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sorry for my absense you'se guys... Been extremely busy with a new job, kids, and girlfriend.

Anyways... An old Homelite Zip, in very, very good condition followed me home today. The pics you see were all from just a brief wipe down and a shot of compressed air. Cleaned up really nice.

attachment.php

attachment.php

It has the original bar on it, which is in excellent shape (bonus!). Not sure about the chain size but Mike's site is calling for 7/16th. The chain on it is brand new and looks to have never never been filed or cut with. The clutch sprocket shows hardly any wear.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The story goes... the lady I got it from said it was her father's. It was bought brand new in the 60's, and was used for about 8 years to cut about 5 cords of fire wood with. It was never used again because her father suffered a serious stroke and was not able to cut wood with it anymore. So about 20 years later it ended up with the gal i got it from. Her father gave it to her husband. Well she has had the saw ever since sitting in her barn. She and her husband had divorced and the saw just stayed with her unused.

So this thing has been sitting around since the 70's unused. It has a nice big fat blue spark, and good compression. You can see the piston looks really good. Some carbon buildup in the exhaust port... but that is expected for a saw this old with the oil it was ran with back then. The bar is bent, but no big deal.

Needs a muffler, a carby rebuild, and a fuel filter and it should fire right up... I will let you guys know of the progress... :)

Later,

Gary

Last edited:
Nice score! Sweet looking old timer, man do they make a racket when you fire em' up. You'll know in short order, I'm sure. I've got a Super Wiz that's not near as good looking but runs like a top. Keep us posted.:clap:

Gary screw the homelite...can we see pics of the new girlfriend ? ;) j/k

BTW: Nice looking old saw.

Sorry Brad... no pics of the girlfriend on here yet...

I'm going to stick with maple syrup for mix... LMAO...

Oh yeah... the best part about it... is what I paid for it...

Zip, Zero... Nada...

Freebie!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gary

maple syrup

Zip, Zero... Nada...

Gary

maple syrup?
is that biodegradable mix?
i thought that was a myth:)

nice beast! enjoy it as it chews slowly and unstopably through the wood!!!

very very nice. im getting into vintage saws lately bought two a couple of weeks ago. a mono mfg and an old sears and they both run and look great. theyre awesome to look at. god forbid i atempt to use them being they almost weigh as much as i do ha ha

a MONO saw =Good. OK the one Ultra has is good, very noisy, and needs a new starter rope. But I would not know anything about that.....OK maybe I do know something about that.:hmm3grin2orange:

Nice Zip Gary. I think that is all the muffler they put on those saws. Your Zip has the sparkplug cover that mine lost some time ago. I had to rebuild the carb on mine but she runs great. It has 7/16 chain also
attachment.php

attachment.php

OH man

Zip, Zero... Nada...

Gary

you ole' salty dog you... Lucky friggin duck...

:bowdown:

Geez, Gary gets all the good finds around here!

I found this one down towards Coupeville, on our Island mang! :)

Nice Zip Gary. I think that is all the muffler they put on those saws. Your Zip has the sparkplug cover that mine lost some time ago. I had to rebuild the carb on mine but she runs great. It has 7/16 chain also

Are you sure about the muffler? It's just a gaping hole that you can clearly see the piston through. Even my big 770-G and my C-51 have mufflers that you don't see the piston through. Just wonderin'...

Gary

Are you sure about the muffler? It's just a gaping hole that you can clearly see the piston through. Even my big 770-G and my C-51 have mufflers that you don't see the piston through. Just wonderin'...

Gary

Oh, mine has a perforated steel plate over it to keep debris out, but no muffler. My old Mono has the same thing

Hmmm... mine must be missin' the screen.

I know my C-51's stock muffler really isn't a muffler at all... just a hunk of metal to keep crap out of the cylinder. I'm sure the 770G is the same... just never took it off.

Thanks mang!

Gary

I've seen some old Homelites like Gary's, from what I remember about the muffler, there is a screen with a heat shield/diverter covering the whole thing.
A fun thing to do is fire up an old Homelite with just the bare port and watch it run in the dark, way cool.

Ray

Back