Back Injuries Suck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GASoline71

Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Well fellas, and ladies...

I sustained a non saw/wood/work related back injury last year in October. Needless to say, my back is a mess... with tha being said...

I will no longer be competing in the Unlimited Hot Saw class with my V-8 (The Termite) at the Logging Shows here in Washington State. I will try to get out and attend to root on my fellow competitors... but I will be sidelined. I had thought about building a Stihl 084 to compete with... but my back won't even handle that. It's gonna take awhile for the healin' to be over to get back in the game. So maybe next year I can get on that 084... ;)

The saw will be run by 2 other gents from Buckley, WA this year... so if you attend... wish them luck. ;)

Anyways... I'm pretty much workin' on saws more than I am usin' them nowadays... hence the HL rebuild thread. So you can expect to see some more threads like that on other carbs and saw related items to come. I've got a lot of "irons in the fire" so to speak... so I will get more up when I can...

I just enjoy hangin' out and playin' on the forums... I ain't goin' nowhere... just not gonna be liftin' 500 pound V-8 saws anytime soon... :laugh:

Later!

Gary

That sucks to hear, and I understand as well. Im 29 years old and have back problems from a car wreck in 2002 that shoved my spine 2 inches out of line, busted several ribs, and broke my collar bone on the left side tearing all the ligaments with it. i enjoy physical labor, but I have a lot more limitations ever since then. Good luck to you and hopefully you can make a full recovery. In the mean time we all look forward to your threads. Threads like that make this site awesome, so much fun and information!!!

My back hurts really bad even when I just walk - but the pain doesn't keep me from running saws - but the scrap iron from a rusted out Russian trawler, that I have in my foot, does....GRRRRRRR :sucks:

I'm hitting the half-century mark this year, and I've fought degenerative disc problems aggravated by a freak football injury in school. My bride of 27 years has a congenital back problem that she's lived with for years that was REALLY ramped up by a skating rink fall when we were newlyweds. It's a task for her to get out of bed each morn. So yes, Gary, you are correct. Back injuries SUCK!! I wish you the best. You're a good man. I'm just glad to finally find our why you're so dang ornery.;)

I feel for you. I have had 3 back operations since I broke the dang thing. No one knows how much a back injury can slow you down until they experience it.

I hope the healing proceeds smoothly Gary. But in the meantime, I will start some oil threads to keep you busy on here...just 'cause I like your responses to them so much:hmm3grin2orange:

Yea I messed my back up at work when I was about 20... Never been the same since.. One thing I got a couple years ago is an inversion table... They are cheap and work really well. I would say my back is better now than when I was 25 for sure.. 20-25 was pretty rough, young and dumb. now at the ripe old age of 35 I have become wise :) So if you get a chance try out one of the inversion tables. Its the only decompression therapy I can afford.

John

My back hurts really bad even when I just walk - but the pain doesn't keep me from running saws - but the scrap iron from a rusted out Russian trawler, that I have in my foot, does....GRRRRRRR :sucks:

Hey ST Cmon explain! What did you do to yourself?

I used to be bothered with my back, Then i started using strimmers 10 hours a day it strenthened my back and i havnt had any major problems for years.
I still pull the occasional muscle but the side to side swing of the strimmer worked wonders:cheers:

Totally understand Gary.

I was in a car wreck in 2000 that messed up my back - still have problems to this day and will probably have arthritis sometime down the line. I also have an issue with my neck where 2 discs slide in and out and cause migraines. Oil filters and such are a bear to get off as I can't "give it all I got" because it will cause them to slip out and I can't move my head for days. Oh the fun.

Take it easy man.

Well, I have several (5) vertebrae in the lower back, that are vedge-shaped, instead of about as high both front and rear - no-one can explain what happened, or if I was borne with it, or not....

..and then there is the damaged foot.....:censored:

I have had degenerative back disease since I was 30. Been through several hundred sessions of physical therapy, and to more types of doctors and prescriptions than I can remember. L4/L5 & L5/S1 are compressed disks, with bone spurs and whatever else. Also bilateral sciatica in my legs. I was offered spinal fusion over 10 years ago, but I declined. That is pretty radical surgery, and just puts more pressure on the non-fused vertibrae around it. I had to stop playing tennis and stop sailing catamaran Hoby Cats. No sports that require twisting or stressing my back. No more tree climbing either. I sympathise with Gary's not being able to run his V-8 saw or hotsaws in competition. It really sucks to not be able to participate in what you are passionate about.

Good luck with your back there, and I hope that you recover so that you can run the Termite again Gary. O/w, you will have to become the Godfather of oil threads on AS... :greenchainsaw:

Maybe there is some special OIL that you can rub on your back that will magically promote healing.

All kidding aside, sorry to hear that you are temporarily down and out. Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery.

Well, you are right there. If he had drank the premix oil instead of putting it into his saws, his back would not be the problem! :popcorn:

Sorry, I had to say it!

Back