Brands of sawchain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxeye

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Is there really any one brand of chain that is better than another? I am not comparing big box store types to pro grades,. but in general, Oregon vrs Carlton vrs Stihl vrs Woodsman etc etc. I seem to lean to Carlton first and then Woodsman.

Though 90% of how well a chain does is in the hands of the filer, I havent heard another manufacturer claim to have better alloys, design, or quality than Stihl. Some places it is considerably pricier than others but locally the same as Oregon. Unless I need something quick I save a bit by ordering the Carlton chain advertised as Woodsman or Woodsland Pro from BaileysOnline.com

The biggies are as you mentioned, Stihl, Oregon, and Carlton. Oregon has some new stuff out that I have not tried, supposed to be harder teeth, more like Carlton. Carlton makes chains for a lot of different people under a lot of different names, but is very good chain.

So, in my experience, Stihl chain holds up better but is pretty expensive. Carlton is where I usually go, usually under the Carlton brand or Woodsman Pro from Bailey's. The old Oregon chain was pretty soft comparably, but the new stuff is supposed to be better in that regard.

That's all I know.

Mark

Stihl #1 holds an edge better than anything I've tried.

Carlton/Woodsman pro (ahh the power of perception) #2 Not as hard as Stihl, not as soft as Oregon... a good compromise for the money.

Oregon #3 Oregon is soft and does not hold the edge nearly as long as the others, but it is easier to sharpen. It's what I recommend to someone who is learning to file because it's easy to change angle's and they can get a good edge on it easy too. I have not tried the new LGX from Oregon but have heard good things about.

Chain

Lgx Is Prettty Good Chain. Stihl Is Probly Still Beter Though.

Have to cast my vote for Stihl as well. Take any chain out of the box and try to compare it to Stihl.....no contest.

Seeing that I am overwhelmed with Stihl chains and not purchased any new in a long time, are the chains made in the USA yet or still overseas?

I touch up the chains pretty often, well before they get really dull, so the difference in ease of filing is a moot point, unless when I hit something hard..........:censored:

You could say the ease and the frequency of filing more or less compensates each other.

I prefere Stihl chain when I can get it in the right configuration (gauge usually is the problem here), mostly because they last longer (see para above).

Oregon "X" is very promising, but I find regular Oregon just fine as well.

I guess 99.9 of my wood is clean and green, except for some (very few) stump cuts close to roads and houses, and that may make a difference in favour of regular Oregon....:biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
Have to cast my vote for Stihl as well. Take any chain out of the box and try to compare it to Stihl.....no contest.

Seeing that I am overwhelmed with Stihl chains and not purchased any new in a long time, are the chains made in the USA yet or still overseas?

It's been said that Oregon LGX will cut just as good as Stihl chain out of the box, but the Stihl may hold an edge a LITTLE bit longer.

Vote for Carlton

I have used Carlton since my first new Jonsered 621 in '81 and I am convinced that for the firewood cutter (for home use mind you) I can't do better that Carlton. I like the File-O-Plate and find I can do a pretty good job of keeping them in very good condition with just a couple of files. I have several Stihl chains and think they work better on the 036 only because the have the oil groove to lube the sprocket nose. I am not as proficient at sharpening them so they don't always perform as well as the Carlton. I have never had good success with Oregon. A lot of the old McCullochs I have been getting are coming with original McCulloch chain (not very durable) or Oregon (not much better), and these are just for fun.

Quite honestly, for the firewood cutter (not a professional) I can't understand why Carlton is not a lot more popular. It is just so easy to keep up.

Mark

E&e

I bought a "won" a couple of items from Edge & Edge and paid for both with shipping via automated PayPal, they are refunding a portion of the shipping due to a discount for combined shipping. Didn't have to do that but I appreciate the fact that they did.

Mark

Brands of chain

Who makes Husqvarna chain? I bought a loop recently from a Husky dealer and it was branded Husqvarna...it cuts well, for sure, but time will tell.

Mike

I like the Stihl chains first,,Oregon second...All I ever used,,but if it works good why change??? Guess it comes down too,,you get what ya pay for,,might be alittle more in price,but be worth it in the long run....

I like the Stihl chains first,,Oregon second...All I ever used,,but if it works good why change??? Guess it comes down too,,you get what ya pay for,,might be alittle more in price,but be worth it in the long run....

From what I understand from several posts on this site there is some very substandard Chinese sourced chain being sold at Home Depot for more $$ than I pay at Amicks or Baileys for LGX or Woodland Pro. So often you don't get what you pay for, you get screwed.

I'v not tried LGX but it seems I'v heard it's selling point was it's a thicker and heavier chain. Anyone know the scoop on it??

Back