Bars ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i really seem to like the windsor speed tips they hold up well for me and i like the idea of the replaceable tip

I Like Stihl Bars The Hold Really Well. The Tips Are Way Better Than Any One Elses. I Would Like To Try A Cannon Though. I Use Oregon Bars On My Huskys.

I like Stihl and GB (orange), except for some reason the 28" GB right now on the modded 660 keeps getting the oil hole plugged up with chips. It did it 5 times in a row (less than 20 minutes). I'm going to take a carbide endmill and drill it out like Stihl's.

The GB's have always been the best bang for the buck I think, and they wear as long if not longer than Stihl's bars, for cheaper.

My opinion,

Sam

The best bars I've owned are General bars [ Roseburg Oregon] They are long out of business now , probably because their bars don't wear out.

German made Stihl bars are about the best you can buy now.

The best bars I've owned are General bars [ Roseburg Oregon] They are long out of business now , probably because their bars don't wear out.

German made Stihl bars are about the best you can buy now.

Oregons are perfectly OK with me, but Norwegian made Husky bars are better, and German made Stihls a lot better (but also cost at least 2 times as much) - mostly no other choises, except some really crappy ones, here.

I have used the cannon bar sence 1998, I used the old windsor till that time when they went to sandvic, did I spell that right? From there they went to junk ! I would be lucky to get 2 wks out of them. The first cannon I used I got almost 4 mo's out of it, and that is heavy cutting every day. They are about 1 lb more then the 30 " windsor which by the way is a very good bar again. The tip does not hold up as well as the windsor with its 5 rivets but change out fast with a single rivet. I tried a GB and they are ok but they don't make a 30 " . Baileys sell the cannon only they call it the woodsman or now woodland pro.

Made in Norway......Must be short bars.......Also must be lite bars.......:cheers: :cheers:

LOL, yeah I used to think that too but I changed my mind after I went to Norway a few years ago and took a history lesson. I saw conifer trees along the Norwegian coast 10 feet in diameter at 20 ft. up, not breast high dia. They have or had trees as big as any tree in the P.N.W. outside of California.Stories go that over the last 100 yrs or so generations of Norwegian loggers found that working in the P.N.W. wasn't much different then working back in Norway.

The Swedes are the ones with the short bars LOL.

Willard.:cheers:

I have a few Cannons in the 28 to 36 inch range and have quit buying them because they are so heavy. They are great, though, and last at least twice say an Oregon (which I have probably 12 of). But for example my 395 with a 36 inch Cannon is hard on the ol back after a long day.

Having said that, I have two newish Cannon 50 inch bars and I love how they are very stiff both because the steel and because of the extra wide belly. Realy nice in the cut. Bugger packing them around in the brush with my 3120 or 880, though.

For my Stihls I can get ES bars just as cheap as Oregon PM, so that's what I get because they are IMO a much better quality bar than Oregon PM so why not (besides prettier).

Never ran GB although I have run some of the "Carlton" pro bars from Baileys and they seem very nice for the money. Nice steel, not sure about the noses yet.

One thing about the Oregon/Husky bars (which are still a good bar for the money for Husky and Dolmars) is that there is great variability in how well the paint holds up. Some of mine the paint holds up well, others it sort of just fades away. Like it is dissolving. The ES paint holds up well, and the Cannon bars you can't tell so well because it is black.

Last edited:
My favorite bars are the L&M Firehouse Tavern, and the Timber Tavern in Orting, WA. Also the Firehouse and D-Jon's in Enumclaw, WA. The Oak Harbor Tavern is still a cool place to hang once in ahile for a beer and pool on Whidbey Island...

Oh wait... You meant bars on saws... :)

Stihl ES... :clap:

Gary

You have to be careful buying some of those cheaper bars you may find "Ford" on it when the paint comes off.

Last edited:
I preffer Harry's Uptown bar and grill myself, good folks, decent food, and great prices!!!!!

Never ran a Canon, but for the price they better be outstanding!!!! I've heard good things about Tsumnara (sp?) bars as well.

Myself, Stihl ES is hard to beat!!

Next would be the GB titanium's.

The Reno Club in Elk City. I don't even drink. Good local entertainment.

I'm liking the lightweight Oregons pretty well. The reduce the weight of my wallet pretty well too. Only bent the crap out of one so far, and in that case it wouldn't have mattered what kind of bar I was using, it'd have been effed.

good

They're all good in my book. But I like GB, Stihl ES, Oregon powermatch plus, windsor speedtip, cannon(woodsman pro, woodland pro).:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Lightweight Bars

I like the lightweight bars from Oregon. I don't know if they are the longest wearing bar, but they make the 046 much easier to haul around all day.

chain saw bars

one of the things cannon did to help the bar last long was heat treating the rail and the metal is much better then most, harder, that is why the paint will not stay on. Take the cannon and hit lightly with a falling axe then hit some other bar and you can tell by the ring that cannon is better metal. They are spendy!

Back