MS260 vs. Dolmar5100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm confused again. In a past thread I was trying to decide between the MS290 and 5100, but aren't the 260 and 5100 more comparable saws? They're both 50cc saws and the 260 is about a pound lighter. I know the 260 is a pro grade saw and the Dolmar is considered pro grade by some, so what's the scoop? I've visited the Dolmar dealer who is an awesome guy, but I've also got a really likeable Stihl dealer fairly close as well. Honestly, I'd love to have a 361, but I don't know if I can shell out $600 bones on a saw. For those of you I haven't irritated before and to recap my usage, I'm a firewood/farm cleanup user, anywhere between 5-10 cords a year depending on time, max. diameter is in the 24" range but mostly 12-16" hardwood (oak, hickory, walnut, locust). Would the 260 be another one to consider? I apologize for beating this thing to death, but I want to make a wise decision here. Thanks.

I think you'd be better off with something a little larger, especially since you will be working at the recommended max for the 260 of 16". A good 65cc saw, although heavier, would make the work quicker all around.

6 of one, half a dozen of the other...

theyre both 50cc pro saws. the 260 is old technology (but also proven technology) the 5100 is a little hot-rod with a good following here for good reason.

you are in the priviledged position of having a good dealer for both nearby, go and handle them both and decide what feels better to you...

either way, you cant go wrong, it comes down to personal preference

all the saws you mentioned are good saws, best saw dollar wise is the 5100. It'll be perfect for you especially when you have a good dealer close by.

The 026/ms260 has more torque and is more expensive, lighter. Pund for pound the husqvarna 353 is a much better saw than the 5100, weighing the same and with a lot more power. Just my .02

That must be after you have modded them - stock the 353 barely beats the 260, and the 5100 (and NE346xp) is way above both - but still far from the MS361.

The 260 looses by some margin on all acounts, except weight, to the 5100.

....but I prefere the NE346xp to the 5100S for several reasons.....

Last edited:
I'd go for the 5100 based on your usage. (ie 5-10 cords, hardwoods, etc) The extra power would be beneficial.

361 would be ideal though if you can scrape together some more clams.

Pund for pound the husqvarna 353 is a much better saw than the 5100, weighing the same and with a lot more power. Just my .02

Yea OK if you say so............ I ran a 350 and a 353 yesterday and Ill Keep running the Dolmar PS5100 thank you. IMO the 350 was built like crap sheetmetal screws and jesus clips to hold it together and the air injection LOLOL what a joke that was espically with the one I ran I had to remove the 48 room mudwasp condo in the air injection path lol. I can see use for the 350 style saw in SOFT woods wearing a 13" bar the one I ran had NK .325 x 18" and when I set it on a 8" dry White Oak with a sharp chain I had to hold it up. If I let the weight of the saw do the cutting the chain would STOP. What a gutless wonder IMO

All I can say is I have MANY MANY happy PS5100 users.

My .02 Now the husky heads can bash me for the night LOL

Scott

I never said it was a bad saw. If price is your concideration then buy the 5100. If power to weight ratio is your concern and you like torque then buy the 026 If power to weight ratio is your concern and you like RPM then buy the Husqvarna. If you want the most power for the weight and dollar spent then buy the Husqvarna 353xp. I am not a dealer and I do not have a horse in this race. So my objective opinion is just that.
Yea OK if you say so............ I ran a 350 and a 353 yesterday and Ill Keep running the Dolmar PS5100 thank you. IMO the 350 was built like crap sheetmetal screws and jesus clips to hold it together and the air injection LOLOL what a joke that was espically with the one I ran I had to remove the 48 room mudwasp condo in the air injection path lol. I can see use for the 350 style saw in SOFT woods wearing a 13" bar the one I ran had NK .325 x 18" and when I set it on a 8" dry White Oak with a sharp chain I had to hold it up. If I let the weight of the saw do the cutting the chain would STOP. What a gutless wonder IMO

Scott

Scott

Kinda like the 681 is crap huh Scott.:dizzy:

Kinda like the 681 is crap huh Scott.:dizzy:

I never said the 681 was CRAP......... I have them in stock I personally would rather run the 7900 it feels more comfortable to me and its less money. The 681 is heavier than the 7900 and I dont like a few items like the chain adjuster, AV springs too small of spike bars weird shaped plastic hoods and recoil etc. I had members ask me if the 7900 full wrap will fit the 681 YES IT WILL but the air filter cover need a trim to clear the cylinder AV spring clamp and the cylinder mount has to be swapped to 7900 style as well. If the 681 is such a hot rod how come I still sell lots more 7900's than 681's????? could it be people do not want to spend more money for a heavier saw with basically the same performance standards?? Also while you waited how many WEEKS for your 681 to show up I had them in stock collecting dust LOL

Scott

I never said the 681 was CRAP......... I have them in stock I personally would rather run the 7900 it feels more comfortable to me and its less money. The 681 is heavier than the 7900 and I dont like a few items like the chain adjuster, AV springs too small of spike bars weird shaped plastic hoods and recoil etc. I had members ask me if the 7900 full wrap will fit the 681 YES IT WILL but the air filter cover need a trim to clear the cylinder AV spring clamp and the cylinder mount has to be swapped to 7900 style as well. If the 681 is such a hot rod how come I still sell lots more 7900's than 681's????? could it be people do not want to spend more money for a heavier saw with basically the same performance standards?? Also while you waited how many WEEKS for your 681 to show up I had them in stock collecting dust LOL

Scott

I remeber rougher, not as smooth, less POWER. Remeber those comments. Weigh both PHO and tell me how much that couple of oz are. And mine came to my door with a 20inch bar and chain for less then your PHO. LOL

I remeber rougher, not as smooth, less POWER. Remeber those comments. Weigh both PHO and tell me how much that couple of oz are. And mine came to my door with a 20inch bar and chain for less then your PHO. LOL

With EQUAL bar and chain combos weight is 4 tenths of a pound heavier for the 681. You forgot LOUDER, AT LEAST I STOCK SAWS for sale...

Scott

The 026/ms260 has more torque and is more expensive, lighter. Pund for pound the husqvarna 353 is a much better saw than the 5100, weighing the same and with a lot more power. Just my .02

Respectfully disagree Dean. The 5100 I've tried had as much torque (or more) than a 260 and was faster reving and more power. I was running an 18" bar with 3/8 chain too. Actually the 353 seemed comparable too the 260 and less money. The 5100 regardless of price (It's less) outperformed both those others. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back