70cc class saw opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booboo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As I mentioned in another thread, I'm looking for another 70cc class saw and would like a few opinions. I'm assuming that my 372XP won't last forever, it's got a lot of hours on it. My old J'Red 920 is getting unreliable and parts for it are hard to find, plus my local J'Red guy who tinkered with it retired. So....

My leading option is another 372XP, but they're getting a little hard to find around here and pricey. I like the power to weight ratio on it. Never run a 575XP, how do they compare?

Other options are a J'Red 2171. I run the old "pre turbo" J'Reds (670 Super and 920) but never liked the turbos. They seem to rev fast and then die out in the cut. Or an MS441 or MS 460. I had never run a larger Stihl that I didn't like, but did run an almost new 441 a couple of weeks ago and it didn't hold a candle to my 372 in terms of power. I was not impressed. Haven't run a 460.

The saw needs to be set up with 28" bar, running 3/8", .050 chain because that's the chain we use on everything else. It needs to be able to handle a 32" bar on occasion. Price is a factor too.

Opinions are like :censored: , we've all got 'em, so let's hear some.

Thanks in advance.

(If there's already a thread on this elsewhere, someone please point me the way!)

:popcorn:

372 xp enough said. If your gonna do stihl do the 460 the 441 will
just tick ya off if you already have a 372! Of course the dolmar
7900 would be a good option as well I am just biased with two 372's
:hmm3grin2orange:

I have a 575 that usually wears a 20" bar and occationaly a 24" bar. It would probably handle a 28" but that would be about the max. The 575 is an OK saw. There heavier, bulkier, and don't seem to cut as fast as a 372. The 575's got a bad rap when they first came out because they had some oiler probs. But that has been fixed. The Stihl 441 will cut just a hair faster than the 575 with a 20" bar, and about identical times with a 24" bar. Never ran a 460.

I recently bought a 372xp and have been really impressed. We ran an old stihl 048 last year, good saw but unreliable. We wanted something newer and the dealer steered us toward the 372 rather than the new model huskys in that class. We have a 24" bar on ours. Husky dealer gave us a deal and basically out sold the stihl guy.

I recently bought a 372xp and have been really impressed. We ran an old stihl 048 last year, good saw but unreliable. We wanted something newer and the dealer steered us toward the 372 rather than the new model huskys in that class. We have a 24" bar on ours. Husky dealer gave us a deal and basically out sold the stihl guy.

Shhhhhhhhh keep it quiet, Thall and mow will hear yas :laugh:
A 372xp is close to perfect why anyone needs a better 70 cc saw would be beyond my thought capacity! It will serve you long and that is fact :cheers:

The 372 is near perfection for sure. Only other saw I could recommend for your needs would be a 460. I have them both and they are both good. Give the next 441 you see the finger.

amen on the 441.

it's a nice wheel chock.it makes a lot of noise but not a lot of power.

you're familiar with the 372,you can't go wrong.575 is a joke compared to it.the new 575 replacement should be out in september or october if you can wait.

the ms460 is an awesome saw as well,as is the 7900.i can put you in touch with a guy that may ship you a 372xp or 7900.

i'm not sure how many Stihl dealers are in your area.

i know of two in the Hartford area that have an ms440 on the shelf still.

I have run a lot of hours on a lot of saws and the 7900 dolmar is a close first to the 460.

does anybody know where i can get a 372 from a reputable dealer online or by phone. in my area dealers dont carry the 372.

Last edited:
Im not a big Husky fan, and I do talk a lot of smack about them but the 372 is a great saw. Personally I run a MS 460 as the big saw in our outfit. There has never been anything it cant handle. Even really big wet cottonwoods dont stand a chance if your rockin a good full chisel chain and drop your depth gauges down a stroke or two.

Kenn

Im not a big Husky fan, and I do talk a lot of smack about them but the 372 is a great saw. Personally I run a MS 460 as the big saw in our outfit. There has never been anything it cant handle. Even really big wet cottonwoods dont stand a chance if your rockin a good full chisel chain and drop your depth gauges down a stroke or two.

Kenn

At work we've got the MS460 with a 24" bar, 2 066 Magnums with 24 and 32" bars on them respectively, and an 088 with a 41" bar on it, and of all of them, the 460 is by far my favorite. :)

Give the next 441 you see the finger.

lol

I have run a lot of hours on a lot of saws and the 7900 dolmar is a close first to the 460.

both in the high end of the 70cc class compared to the 372xp though. that said all 3 are studs. but if your looking for it too pull a 28 i'd go with the either of the 2 saws mitchell mentioned, probably the stihl though just for parts availability.

At work we've got the MS460 with a 24" bar, 2 066 Magnums with 24 and 32" bars on them respectively, and an 088 with a 41" bar on it, and of all of them, the 460 is by far my favorite. :)

i'd have to say that a 24in bar on the 460 is the perfect combo. but with all the options that you are talking about here i'd be in heaven and have no favorite.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm still leaning towards the 372. Both for familiarity and because I'll have parts available. It really has no trouble with the 28" bar, just keep your chains sharp. There's a guy selling Dolmar near me but I've never been in his shop and know nothing about him or their saws except that they seem to have a good rep and I'm hesitant to run saws from 4 different manufacturers.

JeffL - weren't you looking for work in W.Mass a little while back? Where did you end up? Just curious because I worked for a small W.Mass outfit that ran all Stihls years back, wonder if you're in the same place. PM me if you don't want to put it up here.

Later...

Back