Removing Carb Limiters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAG58

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just had an idea about removing the Carb Limiters on my Jonsered chainsaws and trimmers. I did that and replace them whit plastic tubing

2135T
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Carb Limiters and plastic tubing
attachment.php

:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Now I can adjust the carb whit out the Limiters, and the Plastic-tubing fit tight as the Limiters, and are a bit longer then the jet-screws, so there is no problem to fit a screwdriver perfect when I adjust them....

Why?? the springs hold tension

WHY the limiters are there for the EPA other than that they serve no purpose. If your brave enough to remove them leave them off :monkey:

I got a letter from Redmax stating tampering with carb limiters if up to a $25000.00 fine....

Scott

WHY the limiters are there for the EPA other than that they serve no purpose. If your brave enough to remove them leave them off :monkey:

I got a letter from Redmax stating tampering with carb limiters if up to a $25000.00 fine....

Scott

It's easy whit the Plastic-tubing to find the exact line-up of the jet screw, so no fiddling around when adjusting whit the screwdriver ;)

Now I can adjust the carb whit out the Limiters, and the Plastic-tubing fit tight as the Limiters, and are a bit longer then the jet-screws, so there is no problem to fit a screwdriver perfect when I adjust them....

What's the purpose for the tubing, to keep the jets from turning on their own? If so, that's a good idea.

What's the purpose for the tubing, to keep the jets from turning on their own? If so, that's a good idea.

Yes, just for the safety so they don't turn on their own, and they are a bit longer then the jet-screw so it's easy to to fit the screwdriver exact on them...

Last edited:
but.... that carb has springs that do that...

andy, is this the way a carb on a 310 works? i modded and retuned mine. i was so tickled with the improvement that i forgot to put the limiters back. i noticed the other day that it wants to die when i am coming slowly off idle. it did not do this right after i had it retuned. if i gun it, it revs fine. i was concerned that the jets might have moved a little. i guess not?? will a 1/4 tune or so out, fix the problem?

The limit caps are in place for two reasons to prevent the screws from rotating if the screws do not have springs to hold them in place. Also for EPA reasons to make sure that the engine does not get adjusted any richer than when it left the factory.

Scott

There is no EPA here in Norway or any ting like that yet, so there is no reason to not get rid of them at this time, and for the Plastic-tubing, they are put there for extra safety so the jet-screws are not moving so easily even if the carb has springs do that, and they are a bit longer then the jet-screws so
it will be easy to hit them whit the screwdrivers when tuning the carb...

:wave:

Last edited:
andy, is this the way a carb on a 310 works? i modded and retuned mine. i was so tickled with the improvement that i forgot to put the limiters back. i noticed the other day that it wants to die when i am coming slowly off idle. it did not do this right after i had it retuned. if i gun it, it revs fine. i was concerned that the jets might have moved a little. i guess not?? will a 1/4 tune or so out, fix the problem?

Nope... the 310 needs the caps back in. Slice the tabs off NEW caps (the relacement caps are slightly different to what Walbro ships on the carb - they grip better) and insert.

In your case the L screw has probably moved out (CCW) - richer...

I just fixed an 066 that likely died (melted piston into the bore) because the limiter caps were left out and the scews were very loose (even the little o-rings were toast).

The first equipment I remove the Limiter-Cap and replaced it whit Plastic-Tubing was my hedge-trimmer and pole-saw. Whit the Plastic-Tubing a bit longer then the jet-screw the screwdriver don't jump out of position when I'm adjusting the carb.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:cheers:

There is no EPA here in Norway or any ting like that yet, so there is no reason to not get rid of them at this time, and for the Plastic-tubing, they are put there for extra safety so the jet-screws are not moving so easily even if the carb has springs do that, and they are a bit longer then the jet-screws so
it will be easy to hit them whit the screwdrivers when tuning the carb

:wave:

Looks like a good idea to me!

:cheers:

Nope... the 310 needs the caps back in. Slice the tabs off NEW caps (the relacement caps are slightly different to what Walbro ships on the carb - they grip better) and insert.

In your case the L screw has probably moved out (CCW) - richer...

I just fixed an 066 that likely died (melted piston into the bore) because the limiter caps were left out and the scews were very loose (even the little o-rings were toast).

andy,
i sliced the tabs off the caps when i removed them. i just forgot to put them back. they are on there now. is that sufficient, or do i need to buy the walbro replacement caps? do you have a PN?

Here is some pics from some more equipment, eventually everything whit Limiter-Caps will have them replaced whit Plastic-Tubing....

Partner 420 (Poulan) chainsaw
attachment.php

Partner 420 (Poulan) chainsaw
attachment.php

Husqvarna 232RD trimmer
attachment.php

Husqvarna 232RD trimmer
attachment.php

On some small jet-screws I can't use the original Jonsered screwdriver, but have to use the thinner red one in my small toolbox
attachment.php

:dunno:

Back