Tip Greasing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a question for you guys? I always read on the back side of bar sleeves about keeping the tip greased and if you followed their reccomendation's you would stay pretty busy greasing that thing throughout the course of the day. Am I missing something here but it seems to me that the hot oil would only dissolve the grease you just got done pumping in their. Doesn't the oil serve as a lubricant as well? I always grease my bars if they are going to be hung on the wall for a while or put into storage. What do you guys think?

Lately I have been greasing my tips every time I refuel on my new Cannon bar. Cant hurt and it only takes a few pumps from a palm operated grease gun. That said the Stihl bars I have never get greased as they do not have any grease holes.

Seriously,
Stihl used to have grease holes on their bars, but then they
came out with a new "special" chain that carried more oil
to the tip, so it was no longer needed. They have changed
the design on the drive links several times, but have left the
grease hole off of the bars anyway. So the subject of greasing
the tip is likely a non-issue that has little effect on sprocket
tip longevity. The people that recommend using a grease gun
and grease the tip all of the time, also sell a grease gun and
grease packets. It is called suggestive selling.

You want fries with that?

I had an Oregon bar that I never greased and it lasted 2.4 years, and another that I greased religiously and it lasted 2.6 years, so there

If you want to talk about something important, lets talk about octane
:D

Stihl bars do not have any grease hole

Ben,
Steve here...
Your right, the new Stihl bars don't have grease holes, but the old one's do. Here is a pic of one of my old bars that dates back to the early '80s.Sounds so long ago...
It not only has the grease hole that we all long for, but it also has the six rivet heavy duty sprocket nose, like the long bars come with. This bar is only 17".
Steve

<p>Howdy-<p/>
<p>An ornery old log cutter from Sawyer's Bar, Ca. told me the rule of thumb is....If you grease your tip, do it religiously, if you don't grease your tip, never do it at all. If you only grease once in a while you're going to attract dirt and grit. I dunno if women go for men that grease their tips.<p/>

In Canada they use JBWELD but down here we use a good quality grease...All my bars have grease holes...Maybe shorter bars can get away losing there holes.

The instructer at The Game Of Logging, said never grease a bar tip, it will only attract dirt and contaments. Wearing out the bar prematurely.
Ed

Crowe, just continue doing what you're doing. According to Stihl, they quit putting the grease hole in bars because most people used them at the wrong time, you are doing it the right way.

If they are to be greased it is after using, prior to storing, to flush out contaminants. While in use, enough bar oil gets to the bearings to take care of it.

Back