Old chain saw mix oil specification...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patallen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i know i may beat a dead horse, sorry i did seach and didnt found anything.

Is there anything that can be done to soup up an old chain saw with the mix oil mixture ?

it is for my EZ, it ask for 10:1 with sae 30...looks to me quite heavy !!
with more ''modern' oil technology, i was hoping that i could use normal 2 stroke oil with a slight different mixture...

thanks for any ideas

The newer oils are very different from the old stuff. I use Husky 50:1 mix in all my old and new stuff. It works fine. If this oil was around when your saw was made, the 50:1 mix would probably have been the recommended use for it.

I put 50:1 synthetic mix in everything...

At 10:1, the old saw would make a great mosquito fogger.

Last edited:

indeed, ask me how i know !!

thanks for all the replys guys, i realy appreciate !!

now i have to make this saw work again...and find a longer plate.

i am working out something with baileys, it offers me ORPM18CJ50, OPL1872LGX64 but i think its only 18"...
i need at least 22"

ORPM24CJ50 seems to exits...

thanks !!

Just remember... those 10:1 or 16:1 oil ratios were made for ancient 30wt motor oil to be mixed with the fuel...

Moder 2 cyles oils at 40:1 or 50:1 will not hurt your old saws...

I run an old Homelite Zip, and a 770G on 50:1 Stihl synthetic... no problems.

Gary

Any of the newer quality 2 stroke oils will be fine @ 50:1 but keep in mind that going from 10:1 to 50:1 is going to richen the fuel mixture considerably. You will probably have to lean the high and low mixture screws some to get the saw back to a proper tune.

Any of the newer quality 2 stroke oils will be fine @ 50:1 but keep in mind that going from 10:1 to 50:1 is going to richen the fuel mixture considerably. You will probably have to lean the high and low mixture screws some to get the saw back to a proper tune.

noted.

the saw is all apart now for a deep cleaning and carb overhaul. ill tune it with fresh gas and proper "modern" mix :biggrinbounce2:

I run 25 to 1 in all mine,old and new, not to paticular on brand, I just look for air cooled 2 cycle mix from reputable manufactors. I don't have any oil related problems,but I do keep my air cleaner serviced and I am sensitive to the carb adjustment which I take care of promptly if things don't sound excellant. A little smoke at start up after choking it ,but after warm up it doesn't seem a lot differant then the saws I run at 40 and 50 to 1 when I work for tree services.

Just remember... those 10:1 or 16:1 oil ratios were made for ancient 30wt motor oil to be mixed with the fuel...

Moder 2 cyles oils at 40:1 or 50:1 will not hurt your old saws...

I run an old Homelite Zip, and a 770G on 50:1 Stihl synthetic... no problems.

Gary
Well there you go. You heard it from a man that most oil threads make him want to puke. Gary I know it had to make the old stomach churn just to take part in this thread. My hats off to you brother.:hmm3grin2orange:

40:1 in all my stuff, reason is my father-in law believes 16:1 in everything no matter what it is. Some of the things I run are his and 40:1 is on the label of his stuff, so that is what I run.

about 5 years ago i was givin an old pioneer and not knowing any better at the time was mixing it for what it called for 16:1.you could hardly see through all the smoke.my sachs 113 i mix 40:1 but it calls for 25:1,the old guy i bought it from said he never heard it run so good.another old forestry guy was telling a few days ago he was givin a jug of 50:1 pre mixed and was wonrdering how much more oil to dump in to get down to 20:1 for his husky 346 and 254.he claims that neither saw smokes:hmm3grin2orange: i guess it's hard to change some peoples way of thinking.

It can also be used as a rescue beacon if it is not too windy, if you are prone to getting lost in the woods.....:monkey:

Well there you go. You heard it from a man that most oil threads make him want to puke. Gary I know it had to make the old stomach churn just to take part in this thread. My hats off to you brother.:hmm3grin2orange:
Attaboy, Gary! Way to take a hit for the team! Go AS!:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back