Husky 346XP NE vs. Stihl MS 260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedNeckWrangler

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new here. Been reading this site for weeks. This is my first year cutting and burning wood. I've got an old Stihl 034 AV Super that was a hand me down. I've been cutting Oak and Maple. The largest ones about 16" in diameter. I'll cut about 5 cords per year. I'm looking to buy a new saw I think I've narrowed it down to two. The Husky 346XP New Edition or the Stihl MS 260. Which would you recommend? Thanks.

The 260 is a great saw I own two 026's and they both run flawlessly. Troll will school on the virtues owning a 346 shortly. Most people on here will try and get you to buy a MS361. Buy a saw from which every dealer treats you the best, and is willing to go the extra mile. Both saws will handle the job you look to accomplish very well. I use my 026's more than I use my other saws since most of my cutting it stuff 8-16 inches and with a 16" the 026 is very nicely balanced, but get gets awkward with a 20".

You will miss the power of the 034 Super, the newer saws have their features but you have one of the best saws ever made! MS260 is a proven machine the other is not, just my opinion!

Hi everyone I'm new here. Been reading this site for weeks. This is my first year cutting and burning wood. I've got an old Stihl 034 AV Super that was a hand me down. I've been cutting Oak and Maple. The largest ones about 16" in diameter. I'll cut about 5 cords per year. I'm looking to buy a new saw I think I've narrowed it down to two. The Husky 346XP New Edition or the Stihl MS 260. Which would you recommend? Thanks.

Is something wrong with your 034........or do you just have the want's for a new saw?

If you were happy with the 034 then why step down in performance? I think you'd be happier with the 361 cutting 16" hardwoods. Neither the 260 or 346 will keep up with an 034 or 361.

Or throw a new 036 jug and piston on your 034 as long as the bottom end is good. The 034 is a great saw and worth a new lease on life.

Last edited:
Alton Bog huh? On Rte. 16? I have noticed a lot more woodpiles this year in our area.

Where would you be purchasing the Stihl? I imagine you would get the Husky from Snow's? Sometimes its nice having a dealer close by. I bet you would be happy with either saw.

I would rebuild the 034 super and keep it rather then buying a new saw they don't make them like that any more. I like my 036 so much better then my new 361 I sold the 361 and rebuilt the 036. The 036 is the same saw as your 034 super. :)

I've been wanting a new saw. But you guys are saying my 034 super is a good saw. I actually runs pretty good. I certainly don't want to down grade. Which saws should I be looking at that are comparable or better?

If you want a big noticeable difference get a 066 or a MS 660. That will get your attention.

:)

A 034 with a ported 036 topend? They wood never know what hit 'em!:chainsaw:

I say if you like the 034 so much, rebuild it like mentioned. I know where a 036 cylinder "was".....

Then again, you may love a 260 or 5100....

034 super is about the toughest saw there is,at five cords a year,you will probably never wear it out.
if you want a saw to replace the old girl,the 260 is lighter and smoother,the 346 is also lighter,smoother and nimbler to use and a real nice package.
neither the 260 or 346 will keep up with the 034 cutting 16" hardwood.

If you like cleaning your filter a lot, I'd say go ahead and pick the 260.

On the other hand, if you like going home with your hands buzzing from all the vibes, well then a 260 is the way to go.

Of course, if you like sawing a lot, so much so that you don't mind a saw with less power cause that means you can sit with your finger on the trigger a lot longer...get a 260.

If those things aren't your cup of tea, I'd say the 346 would be a better choice.

I'm just sayin' is all... :D :D :D

If you like cleaning your filter a lot, I'd say go ahead and pick the 260.

On the other hand, if you like going home with your hands buzzing from all the vibes, well then a 260 is the way to go.

Of course, if you like sawing a lot, so much so that you don't mind a saw with less power cause that means you can sit with your finger on the trigger a lot longer...get a 260.

If those things aren't your cup of tea, I'd say the 346 would be a better choice.

And If you want to get the job done with the better choice get the ps5100s...

Also at a better price......

Last edited:
And If you want to get the job done with the better choice get the ps5100s...

Also a better price......

But if you want to get the job done with the BEST choice, well then...step all the way up to a 2153!!

C'mon Ultra...you keep pitchin' em low and outside like that, and I'll keep parkin' em.

I'm just sayin' is all... :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

But if you want to get the job done with the BEST choice, well then...step all the way up to a 2153!!

C'mon Ultra...you keep pitchin' em low and outside like that, and I'll keep parkin' em.

I'm just sayin' is all... :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

346ne/2153 Way over rated and over priced......

I'm just sayin' is all... :) :) :) :)

I've been wanting a new saw. But you guys are saying my 034 super is a good saw. I actually runs pretty good. I certainly don't want to down grade. Which saws should I be looking at that are comparable or better?

MS361, MS440, MS460, MS660. In increasing order of performance at the expense of weight.

IMHO the 034 was one of Stihl's most underrated firewood saws. Lightweight, powerful, reliable and a wonderful saw to use. If you want to see that shiny new plastic then get new shrouds. You won't find a better firewood saw without shelling out $600+ clams.

Back