woodland Pro or Oregon saw chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wojo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm going to be ordering a couple 20" and 24" saw chains form baileys and I'm not sure if i should buy the woodland pro 30RC thats made by Carlton or if i should get the Oregon 72LGX chain . What do you guys like and what are the pro and cons of both chains? Right now i'm running stihl chain but they are double the price of woodland pro and Oregon. Thanks

Last edited:
I'm going to be ordering a couple 20" and 24" saw chains form baileys and I'm not sure if i should buy the woodland pro 30RC thats made by Carlton or if i should get the Oregon 72LGX chain . What do you guys like and what are the pro and cons of both chains? Right now i'm running stihl chain but they are double the price of woodland pro and Oregon. Thanks

Maybe it's just me, but you lost me when you said your not running Stihl chain anymore! :cheers:

Why not get a couple of each chain, you'll need them eventually and that way you will know and have prof to yourself what you like better?

There is a chance that you will like something about both brands, and would always keep an assortment?

sorry that i didn't explain my self very well. right now I'm running stihl chain, and i need to buy some extra chain and cant afford to spend $25.00 to $30.00 for one chain

I use Oregon too, It's fine.
As for woodland pro chains being slow...................You probably should sharpen it.
As for it not being very smooth...........................It's a dam chainsaw.:laugh:

Andy
Yep It's a dam Chainsaw lol But I really do find LGX to be a great chain and it is smoother fo some reason not noticeable with the 7900 or 2159 but in the Mac Beaver it is smoother than Woodsman Pro. I also never really liked the older Oregon Chain that much I ran it because it was cheaper than paying twice the amount for Stihl but the Newer stuff seems just as good sharpens well and holds a edge for a long time.Call me nut's but Given the choice I think Square cut's smoother no matter what brand it is?

Do you sharpen them before you use them? From the little I have seen of Carlton chain, that is important.......:givebeer:
Good point! I kinda do that with all Chains. Sorry I am out of rep man from Norway.Now a funny story I keep soda straws on my files keeps them clean in the tool box. My brother saw them and said what the hell is that some kind of ceramic or diamond file you have gone over board with keeping your chains sharp!. lol

Haven't seen or used the Woodland Pro chain before but LGX Oregon chain is excellent stuff. Have been using it on my 7900 that arrived about 2 weeks ago and have cut about 10 tonne of dead clean eucalypt (pretty hard) and some Radiata Pine since. I've been running a 20" (72LGX) and a 32" bar (75LGX) and it eats the pine and does a good job on the eucalypt. Stays sharp for ages too.
Can't complain about that chain at all.

Once had an Oregon sales rep explain to me for 15 min. why the Carlton
"seemed" to be longer, then I went to my chain "making" bench and
found a cutter from both, he went silent.

Stihl is a bit longer than the Oregon, but not close to the Carlton.

Tri-link, well, who cares?

Well, it's a whole lot longer cutter...........

Or anyone want to argue the point?
Not me it has a much longer cutter on it, I love the stuff in my little saw's also they sell .325 skip and on a 45cc saw with a 18'' or 20'' bar is just the ticket for the soft wood I cut. You can bury a 18'' long bar and it clears all the chips and does not bog down mind you my little saw's are not Stihls. Had to add that last part:popcorn:

Do you sharpen them before you use them? From the little I have seen of Carlton chain, that is important.......:givebeer:

Certainly do!
I put a better angle on the tooth and hit the drags a little but to no avail.
If you dont lower the drags on a new chain its like the speed of a gear saw but i run an 8 pin sprocket. lower the drags a litttle and it bogs.
Bad tooth geometry i guess!
Just plain slow.

thanks everyone for the replies, I ended up ordering the Oregon LGX chain. I really appreciate all of the feed back. Thanks

I like the Carlton 3/8, .325 chains but not their 3/8 low pro chain. Had to do alot of filing to get it to cut descent. stihl, oregon,sabre or windsor low pro 3/8 from now on.

I just got a K2 from a member here to try - quite dull as it came (new), but that is an easy fix.......

Latest posts

Back