Stihl vs Makita

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt008

Reaction score
Saw Suggestions

I am looking for some advise as to which saw to purchase. I moved from the city to the country 3 years ago. I cut, split and burn about 6 face cords per year. I purchased a "superstore" saw 3 years ago and it's inadequate for size/volume I need.

I am currently looking at a Stihl, Makita and Husky. All are mid 40 to mid 50 cc with an 18-20 inch bar

Cost is an issue
I welcome any input from the "field" and experts

Thanks for your time
Steven

Last edited:
Makita is made by Dolmar (a good thing). Do a search on Stihl 260, Husqvarna 346XP and Dolmar 5100. Those are the most highly regarded saws in the size you're considering. You'll find TONS of info.

Last edited:
A refurbed Makita 540 or 6401 from toolking.com might be just the ticket. They come in stock periodically, if you can play the waiting game. I got a 540 but have not had a chance to try it out though. Based on feedback in threads here, they are a good saw.

2Door

Best bang for your buck...

Pick up a 6401 on ebay, you can get a new or refurb for $300-$350. A lot more saw and Stihl or Husky have nothing that will touch it at anywhere near this cost.

Pick up a 6401 on ebay, you can get a new or refurb for $300-$350. A lot more saw and Stihl or Husky have nothing that will touch it at anywhere near this cost.

Yeah, that's where it's at. Or the 5100. Bought both of mine brand new off ebay, the 5100 for a touch over $250, and the 6401 for $389. Both are great saws. Plus, with the 6401, you can upgrade it if you ever want to.

I like my firewood saws, a Husky 372XP and a Makita 6401 (Dolmar 6400 in blue). $299 minus $10 internet discount. What a bargain!

A refurbed Makita 540 or 6401 from toolking.com might be just the ticket. They come in stock periodically, if you can play the waiting game. I got a 540 but have not had a chance to try it out though. Based on feedback in threads here, they are a good saw.

2Door

The 540 is a nice saw, but if it came with that :censored: Vanguard chain, throw the chain in the trash and get a real chain.

Latest posts

Back