372xp or 575xp or Stihl 441?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrslyer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i am looking to upgrade my current saw which is a stihl 290 farmboss with 20" bar. I am doing 95% bucking firewood with it, i find it hard on my back leaning over with that length of bar, and i want more power and a better saw! I am looking to run a 28" bar on the saw i buy and i will be buying it brand new. Any suggestions would be great on which model you would suggest.

If you can find....

Get you a MS440 new if you can find one....For a 70cc saw,,it aint let me down....I bought mine used frm the PNW and just lucky the man was honest,,and it has no tellin how many hours on it .Still 140PSI compression...I pull a 28 inch bar and no trouble with it..Full wrap,,PNW clutch,,chain cover,,it's the SH*T!!!!!!!

If you plan to mod, the 372. If it will be left stock, the 441.

And +1 on the 440, baddest 70cc around!

Ok, I going though the same thing this guy is and I have found the 441 to be heavy and not as balanced as the 372 so I'm leaning that way. But why would I have to mod the 372 to cut firewood or is this just for pro use?? I have time before I have to buy one so I will wait and see what the new 576 is all about before I buy anything.

I just dont care for the 441...

It looks and feel bulky to me...You can find some new 440's around,,you just have to search and hunt,and at times I seen someone post they found one in a certain place on here....If you cant find one,,yep,,460 would be my next choice.....

This is really preferance question. Your really asking what saw do we prefer. The ones we prefer may or may not be the ones you prefer. Just keep that in mine.
I like the 372xp. But I guess I'm going to be the first to mention it, look at the Dolmar 7900 too. The Dolmar will smoke any of the saws you mention.

Last edited:
+1:agree2:

Hey longwood,

How do you like that 385? How does it compare to the 395 and 372?
I've been thinking about getting one, because I cut with a 395, but I guess I'm getting old, because it starts to get heavy by the end of the day.
My 372 feels like a toy, too small, so maybe a 385 would be a good compromises.

No brainer, 372. 441 is too heavy, 575 is a pile.

LMAO... the same was said about the 038 Mag2... one of the sickest ("coolest, best, most awesome-est" for you ol' fellers... :laugh:) saws Stihl ever made...

The 441 is not "too heavy"... it's a very smooth and powerful saw... fits right in it's class. I love the 372XP... you would be hard pressed to find a better saw. Never ran a 575 myself... but not many are too happy with them...

The only saw I like better than the 372XP is the 044/440...

Gary

Last edited:
441. Mine has outcut a few 372's stock vs. stock. It's got MUCH beefier mounts and the filtration is just as good. It's also got quite a bit more torque and uses a bunch less fuel.

If the ~1lb difference is enough to sway you one way or the other, then you shouldn't be using a chainsaw.

That being said, I'd wait for the 576xp also.

I might as well be the first...

Forget all of the above, get a 7900. Same weight or lighter, it will lay a spanking on all of the saws mentioned, and it costs less. :cheers:

Hey longwood,

How do you like that 385? How does it compare to the 395 and 372?
I've been thinking about getting one, because I cut with a 395, but I guess I'm getting old, because it starts to get heavy by the end of the day.
My 372 feels like a toy, too small, so maybe a 385 would be a good compromises.

I like the 385 and would describe it as a "smooth and nimble big saw". It is a nice step between the 372 and 395 that I wouldn't want to be without. It pulls a 24" bar in hardwood as good as the 372 pulls a 20" bar. You might also want to consider a 390xp. :cheers:

No brainer, 372. 441 is too heavy, 575 is a pile.

Forget the 575xp, it should be history by now - the only true alternative to the 372xp is the 576xp, which should be out by now.

...or go streight for the Dolmar 7900 - more cc and more power than both Huskys, and weight right between them (but read the on-going thread about its air filtration first).

Last edited:
wow lots of feedback, thank you. I see that a lot of it is about personal preference i dont have any experience with any of the above mentioned saws so i think it may be a tough decision! I have not seen the 576xp at my local shop maybe i will ask them about that saw

Back