?Another Chain Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjdtexan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
¿Another Chain Question

I have been going through the Baileys website and I noticed that there are different types of chains and pitches. I think the chains and pitches are related but I dunno.

I noticed

1 Chisel Chains
2 Semi-Chisel Chains
3 Harvester Chains
4 Ripping Chains.

What are they all about? Which is best for me as I want to cut through the logs as fast as possible with my Husky 455 Rancher? Do I need to change the bar to run a different pitch chain? Does the bar have to come from Husky?

Yes I did read the post about that particular saw and saw that the proffesionals here would not have bought that saw. I already have it though and it is what it is. I do cut wood kinda frequently though as I like to season my own wood. I am into competition BBQ and I keep all kinds of pecan and oak around. The saw I had (still have) before the hurricane hit us is the Poulan Pro 46cc PP4620AVX. The Husky is much more aggresive.

Ok, I've noticed (from the Bailey's website) that to run a different pitch chain, you must be running that pitches sprocket and bar. Is that accurate?
Can the sprocket be changed on the Husky 445 Rancher?

Use chisel in clean wood, and semi- in dirty wood.

With different pitch and/or gauge, you need a different bar.

For different pitch you need a different drive sprocket as well.

Use chisel in clean wood, and semi- in dirty wood.

With different pitch and/or gauge, you need a different bar.

For different pitch you need a different drive sprocket as well.
Thank You for that information.

Can I fit a different drive sprocket on the Husky 455 Rancher?

I will assume you're running 3/8" chain on your 455. There is a widewr variety of chains available in 3/8", but your saw would cut faster if converted to .325. 3/8 chain draws more horsepower and really doesn't work well on saws under 55 cc's, unless you're running a 16" bar.

I will assume you're running 3/8" chain on your 455. There is a widewr variety of chains available in 3/8", but your saw would cut faster if converted to .325. 3/8 chain draws more horsepower and really doesn't work well on saws under 55 cc's, unless you're running a 16" bar.

:agree2: :agree2: :agree2:

The weird thing is that Husqvarna's website says it runs the 325 but all of the aftermarket bars and chain sites I am looking at says its 3/8.

Can I convert the saw to .325 and if so, where do I look for the parts.

The weird thing is that Husqvarna's website says it runs the 325 but all of the aftermarket bars and chain sites I am looking at says its 3/8.

Can I convert the saw to .325 and if so, where do I look for the parts.

There is a wee bit of confusion regarding this. The older version of your saw, the 55, ran .325 and your model is set up at the factory to run 3/8. You have to find a real Husqvarna dealer or saw shop and have them convert the drive sprocket to run .325, and also get a quality .325 bar and chain from them. If you are in a box store looking at model numbers on a package it ill tell you what the saw originally came with, and few box store sales people have a clue about chain pitch and gauge.

There is a wee bit of confusion regarding this. The older version of your saw, the 55, ran .325 and your model is set up at the factory to run 3/8. You have to find a real Husqvarna dealer or saw shop and have them convert the drive sprocket to run .325, and also get a quality .325 bar and chain from them. If you are in a box store looking at model numbers on a package it ill tell you what the saw originally came with, and few box store sales people have a clue about chain pitch and gauge.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. There is no chance I can do the conversion myself?

Yeah, just get the new sprocket, bar and chain and change it over. I think just a nut holds the sprocket on.

Ok. Do I just tell the Husqvarna dealer that I want a 325 sprocket for a 455 Rancher and he will know what it is I am trying to do or is there a specific part number I need to tell him?

Is it not available aftermarket?

By the way, Thank You very much for the help and information.

Just go for it.

Baileys has everything you need.

sprockets, clutches, chain, bars, everything you could want is there.

With the 455 I would consider going to the .325 and a 18" bar. Makes a very nice combination. 72DL if I recall correctly.

-Pat

If you do change out bar & chain for a different pitch, Bailey's has a great deal on a bar & chain combo for $16.95

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=BCC 17 SJ58&catID=112

That 17" bar would do well on that Rancher.

JQ

I looked on Baileys site and couldnt find the sprocket I was looking for, that does not mean it aint there, I just dont know what I am looking at yet. I sent them an email asking them if they have what I need and how much will it be. More than likely gonna do it ifin it can be done. I want a better cutting saw. Probably call you early next week on that chain sharpening. Kinda dont want to deal with the language barrier with my neighbor.

I run the narrow kerf bars & chain on my smaller saws....

Bailey's has a great package deal on these...

I like the 20" bar with 78 drive links of woodsman pro NK semi-chisel.

Didn't care for these little bars when first introduced...but they've really grown on me.

Will really wake up your rancher.

Not sure, but the 455 might not come with the replaceable sprocket type clutch drum. In which case you'ed have to replace that also. The kit comes with a drum and sprocket and may require a clutch removal tool to install. Be sure to specify the pitch of you're b&c and tooth count you want.

Kerf would be the width of the cut in the wood...

Secondary meaning...the by-product of sawing or cutting...chips of wood or blades of grass...

The 455 is 56cc and has loads of torque mine pulled a 20" bar with 3/8 full chisel chain buried in in a 40" beech without any problems.
I didnt think the 036 was much better until it was muffler modded.
Its an outboard clutch also, So you need to take the plug out put a bit of rope in to stop the piston ( dont have the piston far down the cylinder or you will trap the rope in the exhaust port and could do some damage) I just used a flat screwdriver in the notch of the clutch and gave it a sharp TAP with a light hammer to unscrew it. The notches are made for slackening only so its easy to know which way to turn it.

Back