Tree Fallin' Vids at www.expertvillage.com

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was pretty bad to say the least. I watched all those vids they all promoted bad and unsafe ways to fell a tree even it was a small one. I'd like to see this guy tackle a real tree. You tube stuff I can see but this expert village or whatever it is giving out false and unsafe information. People watching this who don't know better are going to think this is the right way because it is linked to with this so called expert label attached to it.

Where does this angled back cut stuff come from anyway?? Now we have some idiot on the net promoting the practice trying to pass himself off as some kind of self proclaimed expert.

What really got me was the safety vid that was basically saying if you wore chaps you won't cut yourself. This is not true. Chaps will slow a saw down but won't prevent the chain from going all the way through the material and cutting your skin. Chaps will only lessen a potential saw cut but they are not armor and an accident can still happen.

I guess it is all about money for the owners of the site judging by the amount of commercials I also seen before the vids were aired. I don't think the owners either know or care what info is being passed on as long as the sponsors pay and they had some heavy hitters for sponsors.

Last edited:
:dunno: In addition to the poor techniques, I really like the technical explanation. "Well er...you cut it a little on this side and er...a little on that side and er...well, lookie there, it fell right where we wanted it to." I felt, strangely, like I was watching an episode of Red Green

What really got me was the safety vid that was basically saying if you wore chaps you won't cut yourself. This is not true. Chaps will slow a saw down but won't prevent the chain from going all the way through the material and cutting your skin. Chaps will only lessen a potential saw cut but they are not armor and an accident can still happen................

Larry,

I could not agree more. The chaps only lessen the effect not prevent it. I have the pictures and chaps to prove that it does not even take a chain to cut through chaps.

Bill

:dunno: In addition to the poor techniques, I really like the technical explanation. "Well er...you cut it a little on this side and er...a little on that side and er...well, lookie there, it fell right where we wanted it to." I felt, strangely, like I was watching an episode of Red Green

:laugh: :laugh:

I've watched several of this guy's vids on youtube, and he really is something. He has one video where he tries to describe how a chain brake works. Not only does he seem to have only a vague understanding of how it actually works, but he can't seem to recall which way to move the guard to engage the brake. He stutters around about it for a bit and then continues with his "expert" instruction.

Red Green and/or Yule (Euell) Gibbons...

Last edited:
The site says the Goober doing the demo is a Mechanical Engineer.

I hope not in a field where anyones safety is involved...

Tree starts going a way you don't want it to go, just wrap the cut with some duct tape and start over again:hmm3grin2orange:

Seriously though, that guy on expert village shouldn't be doing vids like that. Stick to electrical, that is your area of (supposed) expertise.

I bet he's an expert on chain sharpening too...did anyone else notice sawdust on his chaps? :monkey:

Larry: Here's a pic of one of his stumps:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Not to mention it looks like his backcut ended up below the notch.......good thing that was a small tree......

Casey

never underestimate small trees - most falling and tree related accidents happen with trees 10" DBH and under

Where's the helmet??

Why I always wear a helmet.

I was knocking down a little 10" Alder oblivious to all but my task. A teensy branch came down tip first and it felt like it drilled through the top of my head. Made me want to :cry:

Now I don't care who laughs at me, but the helmet goes on before the tree comes down.

My question is: Does anybody really look at this crap? There are so many instructional sites in the net. I can't believe that this guy gets a lot of traffic. I do agree, his technique sucks.

I have seen these vids on youtube, so if someone typed in tree felling instruction, they would probably get these on the list first.

Latest posts

Back