Another Gar-darned oil question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian S

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
And not even chainsaw related.. Really, kinda..

I am trying to find out if Bailey's Woodland pro synthetic oil is equivilant to Stihl Ultra. I bought a new BR-550 blower back in June or July and I've run almost 5 gallons of premix made from Stihl Ultra through it. I'm about to order some other stuff from Bailey's and I thought I would get some of their synthetic for the sake of economy. (My Stihl dealer is dinging me for 3.33 per bottle on the Ultra, even buying the 6 pack.) The reason I'm asking is that there seems to be a stone tablet somewhere that says the 4-mix Stihl's will only run right with the Ultra oil. Does anyone have any insight into this? I use the blower a lot more than I thought I would and it's getting used even more now due to the leaves falling!

Thanks in advance!

Not sure about the Bailey's stuff.
Last time I was at the Dolmar dealer, he wanted $8 a six pack for the 6.4oz synthetic, and I think that stuff is equal to Ultra. I quit thinking about other oil choices after I saw that. Bought two six packs, afraid that the price would go up later.

You may save a little and be doing serious damage to your blower.
I think that's a bit dramatic.

I read the instruction manual for the BR550 and Stihl recommends their own oil, or a high-quality equivalent. They make no mention of using Ultra exclusively or at all, which means to me they think any of their own product would be suitable.

I've been running Bailey's synthetic in all my tools and the Dolmar 5100 is running slicker than snot on it. If the blower were mine I'd run the same mix through it without worry (this coming from a board certified Anal Retentive). :cheers:

Edit: Congrats on the blower. It's working out pretty well for you? I think a backpack is gonna be my next toy. Raking is for the birds.

Last edited:
Edit: Congrats on the blower. It's working out pretty well for you? I think a backpack is gonna be my next toy. Raking is for the birds.

I got into this blower from an 8-10 year old BG-70(?) Hell I can't remember but it was the cheapest handheld when I bought it back in 1998-1999. The BR-550 is 3 or 4 times more powerful, easier on the body and comparing the amount of work accomplished I think it is more fuel efficient. I really couldn't be happier with it. I remember paying something like $150.00 for the old BG blower from a now defunct stihl dealership in town and after I got the BR I sold it on Ebay for somthing like $90.00, that was a great deal considering the useage I got from it. I do regret selling it though because it was just the ticket for blowing the patio and patio roof off (hindsight!). I have to get on the patio roof about once a month to clear leaves and debris off and the backpack is a bit more of a balancing act to get up there. I was a little iffy on spending the money but now that it is spent I would do it again in a heartbeat. GREAT TOOL, buy one!

I think that's a bit dramatic.

I read the instruction manual for the BR550 and Stihl recommends their own oil, or a high-quality equivalent. They make no mention of using Ultra exclusively or at all, which means to me they think any of their own product would be suitable.

I've been running Bailey's synthetic in all my tools and the Dolmar 5100 is running slicker than snot on it. If the blower were mine I'd run the same mix through it without worry (this coming from a board certified Anal Retentive). :cheers:

I'm not the smartest when it comes to which oil to use so that's why i said stay with what works. But how do you know if your getting the equivalent of the stihl ultra.

I'm not the smartest when it comes to which oil to use so that's why i said stay with what works. But how do you know if your getting the equivalent of the stihl ultra.

And that is my point of concern too. I'm not an oil snob and not particularly educated when it comes to oil. Before I found this site I used to think the Wild Thing was a good chainsaw and Echo power blend was the best two stroke oil ever made! Live and learn..

I guess wouldn't even be concerned about this issue if it weren't for all the bad feedback on the 4-mix engine when run with anything but the Ultra. Both of my local Stihl dealers were insistent on the Ultra when talking about the 4-mix engines..

I don't even know why I'm bi-chin about the cost of the Stihl oil, its not like saving $10-20 a year on oil is a big deal but I'm feeling the pinch like all of us!

I guess I'll stick to the Ultra, the guy at the Stihl parts counter is a good guy and I shouldn't feel bad about sending some more $$ his way...

Thanks for the advice.

I use regular Stihl orange bottle (6-pack) with 89 octane and stabil with no problems in my BR600.

Last edited:
GREAT TOOL, buy one!
Sounds nice. More power is exactly what I need.
According to Stihl, any good 2-cycle oil will do. Generally speaking, any synthetic oil of today that meets the ISO and JASO specifications should be consistently quality and work better than the stuff people have been using for decades.

Edit: All that said, though, Stihl makes quality products and I'm sure their Ultra is right up there as the best stuff available. If it gives you peace of mind then buy it and be happy. I would if there was a dealer nearby.

Last edited:
I see that Bailey's synthetic oil meets ISO-L-EGD and JASO FD specs. Those are the highest current ratings so I'd say that it's fine in any 2 stroke.

Ian

I use regular Stihl orange bottle (6-pack) with 89 octane and stabil with no problems in my BR600.

You will have problems...

I tune up several BR600's and 550's a week... Those run on Ultra are clean as a whistle inside... and the valve train on Dino-oil consuming machines are covered in thick black charred crap - like the sump oil in your car.

Valves on the ultra engines don't need adjusting; those on dino mix require EDTA treatment, and a lot of adjustment...

I guess it depends on whether you want 500 hours or 2500 hours from your engine...

I tune up several BR600's and 550's a week... Those run on Ultra are clean as a whistle inside... and the valve train on Dino-oil consuming machines are covered in thick black charred crap - like the sump oil in your car.

Valves on the ultra engines don't need adjusting; those on dino mix require EDTA treatment, and a lot of adjustment...

I guess it depends on whether you want 500 hours or 2500 hours from your engine...

Thank you Andy for the info! I won't get 500 hours on mine for a loooong time, but I still want it to last.

What about the Stihl HP Super oil? my dealer said it would be fine, but I've been using ultra so far in my BR600...

HP Super will work fine but obviously not as well as Ultra. Might as well just use the Ultra. Better performance, keeps everything clean longer.

I love the guys that buy some Ultra when they first get the blower, then revert back to dino oil and when they have problems they drain the dino mix and put some Ultra mix in there to complain that the blower sucks. "You see! I used the expensive oil like you told me and it's still having problems!" Hit `em hard with the bill for being a lying bastard. If you don't want to spend the money on Ultra or an equivalent full synthetic, then you can't afford a 4-mix blower. Get somethin' else.

What about the Stihl HP Super oil? my dealer said it would be fine, but I've been using ultra so far in my BR600...

In my opinion, "super" is o.k. but marginal in 4-mix blowers. Weedeaters thermally cycle often and it works fine in those, but blowers tend to be run at full power for long periods - that tends to build up more.

The super/ultra price difference isn't great so I don't bother with super.

Last edited:
I'd use it but it cost way too much here. What do you guys pay for it?? I think its like $8 per little bottle here.

Little as in 2.6oz? LOLOL you're getting screwed - sorry...

Our big customer now buy it in 12.8oz or 1 gallon.... It's about $60'ish a gallon, but that makes 300 gallons of gas.

Little as in 2.6oz? LOLOL you're getting screwed - sorry...

Our big customer now buy it in 12.8oz or 1 gallon.... It's about $60'ish a gallon, but that makes 300 gallons of gas.

Ya, I think so. I'll recheck and report back. I think it might of been the next size up from the tiny one. I'd buy it for $60 a gallon. I use Amisoil Sabre professional, for $13 per liter. I really like that oil, seems to run clean.

Back