Efficiency Of Newer Oils!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadow745

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been running Opti-2 multi-ratio 2-cycle oil in everything 2 stroke for 7-8 years now. I mix it around 40:1 just to make sure there's enough oil in there. I've had my Husky backpack blower close to 2.5 years and usually use it a few times weekly for driveway cleanup and then almost daily during the dreaded fall season. We own 2.6 acres with most of it being hardwood and try to keep about 1/2 natural and the other 1/2 cleaned pretty good. I'd say I've put maybe 75-100 hours on it by now and haven't had to do anymore than change the plug once and keep the filter cleaned as needed. I decided to strip it down a bit to see how it's holding up. Took the muffler off and there's not one bit of buildup in it, nothing in the spark arrester and nothing to speak of in the exhaust port. Never owned a 2-stroke that runs this clean. Piston/cylinder looks great as well. I'm assuming the engine is in great shape because of proper maintenance and I'd say a great deal of it has to be because of using fresh fuel and a good lubricant.

BTW, I noticed several of the bolts I took out have what looks like Red LocTite on them. I don't have the red onhand, but have plenty of blue. Should be fine, right? Later!

Sounds like you are having good luck with Opti-2. I think it is good mix if used consistantly, I usually recommend it mixed at 50:1 vs. 100:1.

The red you see on some of the bolts I do not believe is true "red" locktite but another type of thread sealant. Blue locktite should work fine when you put it back together.

i have been using that opti-2 oil for about 7 years now. my spark arrestors have never been cleaned and dont need to be. its good oil, i have run 100:1 with it for a while and every thing whent fine but now i run it at 75:1 just because it makes me feel safe.

So you guys run ratios that high??? The container recommends using 1.3 oz. per gallon. Exactly what ratio is that? I usually add a little extra just to make sure, maybe 1.5 oz. or so. I do know that it is a great product. My equipment runs great, stays super clean internally from what I've seen and produce no smoke. Thanks for the replies. Later!

A bottle of Stihl oil to mix with a gallon of gas is 2.6oz and the ratio is 50:1. Sounds like you are at 100:1

You need to ask Gasoline71 about this. He is the oil expert here! Just ask him. LOL

Just messin with ya, welcome to site, and don't ask gasoline71 about oil! He will blow a gasket!

LMAO... Woo-Hoo! My favorite... :laugh:

All I can add is that... using anything other than the manufacturers oil, at the manufacturers recommended ratio for your particular saw is crazy...

Gary

Last edited:
Thanks for that bit of info. I'd say by adding a little extra it's probably around 80:1 or so then. Hard to believe that engines can get by on that little bit of lubricant..... Later!

LMAO... Woo-Hoo! My favorite... :laugh:

All I can add is that... using anything other than the manufacturers oil, at the manufacturers recommended ratio for your particular saw is crazy...

Gary

there are standards set for oils these days. the ISO-E-GD standard is the highest performance rating a 2-stroke oil can have and Opti-2 exceeds these standards. so i dont think using it in a saw is all that crazy.

there are standards set for oils these days. the ISO-E-GD standard is the highest performance rating a 2-stroke oil can have and Opti-2 exceeds these standards. so i dont think using it in a saw is all that crazy.

I agree 100%. I haven't been running saws very long, but Opti-2 is the only thing I'll use in ANY 2-stroke. I've put it through many different engines over those 7-8 years and not a single problem. Saw included..... Later!

... I've put maybe 75-100 hours on it by now and haven't had to do anymore than change the plug once and keep the filter cleaned as needed. I decided to strip it down a bit to see how it's holding up. Took the muffler off and there's not one bit of buildup in it, nothing in the spark arrester and nothing to speak of in the exhaust port. Never owned a 2-stroke that runs this clean. Piston/cylinder looks great as well. I'm assuming the engine is in great shape because of proper maintenance...
What's the expected lifetime of that sort of equipment?
Is a visual inspection after only 100 hours (after break-in?) a good way to judge the quality of fuel, oil, maintenance etc.?
Wouldn't the cheapest 2-stroke motor, running on the cheapest oil still be in perfect shape after only 100 hours?
Why did you have to change the plug?

I think the 100 hour point would be a good indicator of overall maintenance. Now if something like a blower is being used every day for hours at a time then that time would be met rather quickly and equipment used constantly wouldn't really have time to cool off, much less gunk up. For me to use it like I have for close to 2.5 years and it still look like new internally has to say something positive.

I have no idea what the useful life for most good blowers. I think Echo puts a rating of 300 useful hours on most of their stuff, so if that's any indication I do expect a long life from mine.

I didn't HAVE to change the plug, but did so just because it was about 2 years old at the time.

If you don't think fresh fuel, a good multi-ratio oil and proper maintenance is necessary consider this. My dad bought a 38cc brushcutter from Sears back around 1992. Don't know who made it for Sears, but it's well built having the usual stainless shaft supported by many bearings, a Mikuni sidedraft carb, etc. Back then he used something like OneMix in it and ran it for years. He used it from 1992 to when he gave it to me around 2000, never did a thing to it except clean the air filter. When I aquired it I made a new air filter for it, greased the head and oiled all the bearings I could get to and changed the plug. I did try running a conventional 2-stroke oil at a 16:1 ratio like the manual recommended and that thing smoked like no tomorrow. Soon after that I found the Opti-2 and started using it and have never looked back. I'd say that brushcutter has had hundreds and hundreds of hours put on it, usually getting maybe 50 or more per year cutting grass, honeysuckle, all sorts of brush, pampas grass and even a few small trees with the blade and it still runs like new. Nothing other than the plug changes, air filter cleaning and greasing/oiling necessary areas has been done and it's been going about 16 years. I've taken the muffler off it and no buildup to speak of after all this time. I guess that has nothing to do with the multi-ratio oil either.... Later!

I think Echo puts a rating of 300 useful hours on most of their stuff, so if that's any indication I do expect a long life from mine.
The 300-hour rating that Echo gives is for the emissions. They claim that the engine will meet the emission regulations for at least 300 hours. Expected lifespan of their engines is 1,200-1,500 hours.
Id think that you would be safe using any decent oil at a 50:1 ratio. Thats the mixing ratio that all of the manufacturers currently give, but there would be no harm in mixing at 40:1 or even 32:1. More oil is going to put more smoke out the muffler and you might foul sparkplugs more often, but its not going to hurt your engine.
I disagree with the comment that was made claiming you must use the manufacturer's oil at their specified mixing ratio. I use Echo Power Blend oil in my Stihl and it doesnt know the difference. As long as it meets the minimum requirements, oil is oil and a manufacturer cannot deny a warranty claim just because you didnt use their oil.

I disagree with the comment that was made claiming you must use the manufacturer's oil at their specified mixing ratio. I use Echo Power Blend oil in my Stihl and it doesnt know the difference. As long as it meets the minimum requirements, oil is oil and a manufacturer cannot deny a warranty claim just because you didnt use their oil.

Like I said... they're your saws...

:rolleyes:

Gary

Iv'e been running husky oil in my new 346xp but have been wondering if its made by Amsoil , same color , who knows ! I run the Amsoil in alot of my other stuff and its good oil also . One thing I liked about the husky oil is that it contains a fuel stabilizer , can't hurt , sometimes I think the gas we are are buying is pretty low quality , some containing ethanol and the rest a very low octane . I see husky also makes a pro version XP oil for more severe use , anybody using it ? Hard to tell if its really any better.

can't hurt .

One thing I liked about the husky oil is that it contains a fuel stabilizer , can't hurt , sometimes I think the gas we are are buying is pretty low quality , some containing ethanol and the rest a very low octane .

Opti -2 has a stabilizer as well.I dont sell it,but i use it,its great oil.

Latest posts

Back