Chain Pitch question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's mostly a matter of what you can easily get... though i suspect 3/8 is just as widely available as .325... it also depends on your saw

Not to be a weenie but did you search at all. In my opinion its all a matter of opinion as to which is better. There are lots o threads on the subject. Dont forget not only is there pitch but gauge to consider too.:)

Did a search and looked at about 25 threads before I felt I wasn't getting the answer I was after. Gauge Im not concerned about, The Saw Santa may be delivering to me will be the first .325, all the others are 3/8 or 3/8 LP and I was trying to see if .325 had an advantage, or if I should swap out the chain and associated parts.

Did a search and looked at about 25 threads before I felt I wasn't getting the answer I was after. Gauge Im not concerned about, The Saw Santa may be delivering to me will be the first .325, all the others are 3/8 or 3/8 LP and I was trying to see if .325 had an advantage, or if I should swap out the chain and associated parts.

Well if thats the case switch to 3/8 if possible and ebay 325 parts. I have 3/8 picco and 325 in my fleet. Id stick with what you have. Just a little factoid, My dealer sells alot of chain in this area and I asked him the other day whats the big seller. 325 is the winner outsells 3/8 2to1 he said. :cheers: I think you can add this to the other timeless questions like 290 or 361, husky or stihl. Its a matter of prefence.:)

I was at the local Stihl shop and noticed the .325 chain is MORE expensive than then .375 chain. The dealer just said it wasn't as common so it was more $. Huh??

the advantage of .325 is chain speed but your chain dulls quicker also 3/8 is a good chain and it is available in full comp, full skip, full chisel...etc where as .325 is not usually a full comp

Nothing scientific, but I tried both 20lp with a 8 tooth sprocket and 72lp with a 7 tooth sprocket on stock 60cc saw and really couldn't see much difference in performance.

Less then 60cc and a stock 7 tooth, maybe an advantage to the .325 pitch.

well in my findings only a few companies had offered .325 in full comp race chain but almost all had it in 3/8. not sure why but my 066 with3/8 will cut more wood than my 029s w/.325 i guess its because the .325 is a lighter chain and is not as tough as 3/8 IMHO

Nothing scientific, but I tried both 20lp with a 8 tooth sprocket and 72lp with a 7 tooth sprocket on stock 60cc saw and really couldn't see much difference in performance.

Less then 60cc and a stock 7 tooth, maybe an advantage to the .325 pitch.

well i wonder how my 029s would act with 3/8 i bet it would not do as well as it does now.
it probably depends on saw size because a stock ms170 will have one heck of a time with 3/8 chain IME

Last edited:
meezzz sayzzzz

i run one and that be 375 chain and 365 chain. 325cand 250 are harder to get in my neck of the woods. the 325 my dealer carries sells sllowly and is :censored: safety chain:)

well in my findings only a few companies had offered .325 in full comp race chain but almost all had it in 3/8. not sure why but my 066 with3/8 will cut more wood than my 029s w/.325 i guess its because the .325 is a lighter chain and is not as tough as 3/8 IMHO

Does that "full comp race chain" that almost all have look anything like this?
Chain015cropped.jpg

Cuz it would be a lot easier to buy it than make it.

Andy

(I guess my discretion is only half working tonight. :) )

Do you actually not know the reason why your 066 will cut more wood than your 029. Where you finding this full comp race chain that's company sold?? Are you sure you should be running a chainsaw??

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back