Mixture ?....Be gentle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmarti

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
*I have been in search for 2 hours and can find no specific answer

*I do not care what brand,

*Leave air mixture adjustment out of it

I am running a saw at 40:1, If I want it to run cooler, and everything else being equal, do I go to 50:1 or 32:1 ?

I have been married for 25 years so I can take any abuse that shall be visited on me:buttkick:

*I have been in search for 2 hours and can find no specific answer

*I do not care what brand,

*Leave air mixture adjustment out of it

I have been married for 25 years so I can take any abuse that shall be visited on me:buttkick:

2 parts Tequila
1 part orange juice
:clap:

Sorry, I don't have a better answer..... I'm sure somebody will be by soon to help.
Welcome to AS!!!

Last edited:
All other things being equal, 50:1 will theoretically run the coolest. That's because it's the richest fuel to air ratio.

However in the real world the differences are probably negligable

Are you having heat problems? 40 to 1 is a good ratio. I don't think I go to 50 to 1.
Higher octane will burn cooler. What octane are you burning now? Keep the same ratio and try 97 or higher.

Last edited:
A couple cheap Poulan's that will not start hot, (Bought a new Stihl and very happy) but I want to tinker with them before throwing out and it is nice to have xtra saws on the property to keep my boys busy. Start and run fine cold. Problem with saws since new. Plugs burn to a beautiful tan, so I think high and low mixtures are right. Filters, lines OK, no air leaks I can find. Gas cap vent's OK. I have tried opening cap and changing plugs when hot. I have spark hot and cold.

One guess is cheap material in piston/ rings or sleeve expanding at diff rates?

I thought I would try:

*dowsing them with water when hot

*playing with a different mixture

To avoid a massive oil brand and mixture argument I just wanted to know if mixture would effect operating temp? (not a long term wear question)

Yes I am fairly bored waiting for football to come on, and I just can't let things go without messing with them. These saws would be less grief if I made hanging baskets out of them:cry:

p.s 89 octane. valvoline multipurpose 2 cycle, 1 oz seafoam per gallon of gas in all my 2 cycle.
The stihl saw get's stihl oil 50:10) no problems in timmers, blowers,tiller, lawnboys, homelite saw..... only these Poulans

Last edited:
HUH? you can't leave air out of it. Both 40:1 and 50:1 with a correctly adjusted carb will run at the same temperature. If you want it to run "cooler", just turn your mixture screw richer. You'll have more unburned fuel and a drop in HP.

Better oil is a the correct answer, not messing with ratio.;)

GARY!!!!!!

HUH? you can't leave air out of it. Both 40:1 and 50:1 with a correctly adjusted carb will run at the same temperature. If you want it to run "cooler", just turn your mixture screw richer. You'll have more unburned fuel and a drop in HP.

Better oil is a the correct answer, not messing with ratio.;)

GARY!!!!!!

Understood that mixture may need adjusted, I wanted to keep it simple........ is op temp affected by mixture? You say no.

There is more than enough out there on brands, so I won't ask that.

Sounds to me like they are adjusted out too rich, not an issue of running too hot.

be careful - the term MIXTURE usually relates to air/fuel ratios, and that most certainly affects temperature.

There may be very very slight difference in operating temperature by varying the mix ratio 40/50:1 (assumes adjust the carb "correctly" for each") if you use crappy oils, but that would means you are too close to the edge anyhow.

Turn your H mixture screw richer -you'll get a significant drop in temperature...

Run pure synthetic mix oil...

be careful - the term MIXTURE usually relates to air/fuel ratios, and that most certainly affects temperature.

There may be very very slight difference in operating temperature by varying the mix ratio 40/50:1 (assumes adjust the carb "correctly" for each") if you use crappy oils, but that would means you are too close to the edge anyhow.

Turn your H mixture screw richer -you'll get a significant drop in temperature...

Thanks I will give it a shot. I was talking/asking about oil gas ratio affecting temp. I will run the air/fuel mixture richer with a syn oil to see what happens. I am only guessing that op temp is my problem. I think I got exactly what I paid for:blush: with these saws.

Sounds to me like they are adjusted out too rich, not an issue of running too hot.

Who knows, I backed them off of high end to "waffle" and the plugs read tan/light brown. I will keep playing as it gives me a reason to escape to the barn!

I can't add anything more ol' buddy. :)

Gary

Latest posts

Back