Run her wide open or baby it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ultimus_ab

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am fairly new to this site and have recently purchased a Stihl MS-460 Magnum with a 28" full chisel half skip chain. I have ran about 3/4 of a gallon through the saw using 89 octane fuel and Stihl HP Ultra full synthetic oil. I have been running the saw at about half throttle through most of my cuts due to the fact that it is new. Is it time to open it up or can you run it at half throttle if full isn't really needed? The saw is completely stock and was wondering if any mods are really necessary. Thanks

Dont baby it. And dont run it at half throttle, always wide open in the cut. With no load, or out of the cut dont run it full throttle.
To properly break it in, run it like you stole it.

Run it full throttle through your cuts. No babying required. If it doesn't have enough power four you after a 20 hour break in or so then fine tune your jets.:chainsaw:

On a small ish saw I like to stick on a small bar and use for limbing for the first four tanks, Ill take it up to full revs but not hold it at them as with felling or bucking.

Last edited:
yes run it like you stole it dont ever baby it,

just let it cool off a few times and your good to go.

Worst thing to do to a new saw is baby it. It needs to run to get everything seated properly. Should not run it full throttle out of a cut even after break-in. Worst thing to do to a chainsaw in my opinion is run it out of gas. Folks that keep trying to get that last bit out of every tank usually are the ones asking about scored pistons and low power problems. Good luck with your saw.

The reason you don't want to run it part throttle is because of the design of the carb. I'm told that they don't meter correctly at part throttle. I just avoid long extended high load cuts until it's got a few tanks through it. WOT out of the cut never seemed to hurt a saw. That's how I tune all of mine and how the manufacturer does as well.

Sorry to say it but if you've been running at half throttle under load you have probably done more damage to the saw than good. For all the guys that continue these posts here is the best advice I can give, it's a chainsaw thats meant to run at 13,000 plus, if your scared of beating on it, start it and let a tank idle through it but never under any circumstances run it half throttle in a cut, you will over heat it.

My new husky327 came factory rich running out at 12,200/12,300 on the top-end. I just left her like that for a gallon of gas and then turned her way up.
It sure didn't seem to damage my saw, it's running like a "banshee" so to speak.

The reason you don't want to run it part throttle is because of the design of the carb. I'm told that they don't meter correctly at part throttle. I just avoid long extended high load cuts until it's got a few tanks through it. WOT out of the cut never seemed to hurt a saw. That's how I tune all of mine and how the manufacturer does as well.
I agree with Brad,he knows what he's talking about.I let my brother use my 026 and told him WOT until you are out of the cut,don't baby it.:chainsaw:

Brad is right

The only thing I do under breakin is let the saw idle for a few extra seconds in between large duration cuts-like bucking up a large diameter tree.

Ok, will do. Time to run it to the red line! I am taking it in to the dealer tomorrow and having a dual port muffler installed and then have them retune it there at the shop. I have some fairly large trees that I need to cut and buck (approx 22-28") Should be fun to see what it will do. Thanks for all the help fellas.

Latest posts

Back