Chain Gauge Suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locust Cutter

Sawing for Sanity
Reaction score
Anyone out there have any advice on which gauge to run on bigger chains? I'm cutting all hard wood in eastern Kansas. Mainly Russian Locust, Hedge( osage orange), various Oak types, Maple, Walnut, Hack and others. I'm getting ready to start buying chain rolls for my saw to save money. I plan on using semi-chisel .325 chain on my smaller limbing saws, but am debating on 0.58 gauge, or whichever the bigger one is, 0.65? Mainly I'm concerned about the tradeoffs between inertia and whether the heavier chain will hold an edge longer and/or endure the stresses of cutting better than the lighter chains. I will probably end up with 3/8" half or full skip on the bigger saws.

I'm South and East of you near the Ok border and run .050 and .058 gauge chain on my saws Pretty much in the same wood species you mentioned. Usually by the time the cutters are toast (past the witness mark) the chains have enough stretch it is time to replace them. The cutters are the same on them regardless of gauge of the Drive Link. Unless you are running serious HP through the chain I don't see much point in going to .063" gauge chain.

Run whats readily available for you.

BTW , Welcome to Arboristsite !

I'll have to try that. Hey KS Woodsman, where are you cutting at? I'm cutting the majority of my wood out between Leon and Beaumont, KS. and a little up around Eureka.

Back