Stihl Oil Mixture

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HemiMoparGuy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere on here that a lot of you guys are running saws with 32:1 oil mixture, despite the Mfr recommended 50:1. I was just wondering if you had a very easy way to measure the oil out. I know they make those fancy lil bottles that say mix with 2 gal gas can, etc...but those are for a 50:1 mixture. I am doing the math and can't seem to find out an easy way to make 32:1. I do have a 2 gal can already, so if anyone has a good way with that, it'd be great, if not, for ease I will run out and buy a new can of the best size for easiest measuring.

Thanks

Yeah, I got that calculation. Just took 128 ounces in a gallon divided by 32 (mix ratio) and it comes out to 4, but with a 2 gal can, multiply by 2 and it is 8 ounces for a 2 gal can.

I was asking for an easy method for mixing. So I am not out in the woods with a measuring cup trying to get exactly 8 ounces in the can

There are 128 ounces in a gallon. For 32:1 divide 128 by 32 and get 4 ounces. Add 4 ounces of oil to 1 gallon of gas or 8 ounces of oil to 2 gallons of gas to get a 32:1 mix.

They do sell 4 ounce bottles for mixing 32:1, but it's cheaper to buy 2 cycle oil in larger bottles, so get yourself a small measuring cup at a hardware or cooking store.
Or you can buy a bunch of small paper cups, fill one carefully with water to 4 ounces and mark the line with a magic marker, then use that to mark a bunch of disposable measuring cups.
Or get a really large syringe and measure out 4 ounces (or 118 cc)

Philbert

I was asking for an easy method for mixing. So I am not out in the woods with a measuring cup trying to get exactly 8 ounces in the can

Sorry, my last post crossed those earlier ones.

You can find some empty food or other containers, clean them out, and re-fill them at home. Use 12 oz Gumout containers, even empty quart containers from changing your oil - don't have to put more than 8 ounces in them. Mark them and take those in the woods.

I use the paper cup method (earlier post) at home, and sometimes re-fill some smaller 2 cycle containers from a larger one for use in the field.

Philbert

Ya know, I have NEVER thought of using any size container and putting a mark on it at 8 ounces (or whatever) I guess that is the engineering mentality working again...or is it the perfectionistism that I wanted an exact size container? Either one, I feel kinda retarded now, oh well, not the first time, DEFINITELY not the last.

Thanks

Ya know, I have NEVER thought of using any size container and putting a mark on it at 8 ounces (or whatever) I guess that is the engineering mentality working again...

Optimist: The cup is half full!
Pessimist: The cup is half empty!
Engineer: The container is twice as big as it needs to be . . .

Philbert

Those little bottles are 5.2oz, correct? 5.2oz x 32-1 mixture = 166.4oz divided by 128 oz/gallon is 1.3 gallons per 5.2oz bottle for 32-1.

If you mix that same little bottle with 1.4 gallons you'll have 35-1, 1.6 gallons for 40-1, 1.8 gallons for 45-1.

Regardless of the amount of mix oil in the bottle the math is the same. Ounces of mix oil times ratio, divided by 128 ounces in a gallon will give you the number of gallons for your amount of mix oil.

Optimist: The cup is half full!
Pessimist: The cup is half empty!
Engineer: The container is twice as big as it needs to be . . .

Philbert

Never heard it that way...I've always said that the cup is completely full. You never asked how much water (or any substance) You asked if the cup is half full or half empty...

It is completely full. Bottom has water or whatever, top is air. Unless it is in a vacuum (not vacuum cleaner) it is ALL full

Also the cup is still either half full or empty of the fluid even if there are only 2 drops. 1/2 could refer to one of two parts. Not necessarily exactly 50%.

Those little bottles are 5.2oz, correct? 5.2oz x 32-1 mixture = 166.4oz divided by 128 oz/gallon is 1.3 gallons per 5.2oz bottle for 32-1.

If you mix that same little bottle with 1.4 gallons you'll have 35-1, 1.6 gallons for 40-1, 1.8 gallons for 45-1.

Regardless of the amount of mix oil in the bottle the math is the same. Ounces of mix oil times ratio, divided by 128 ounces in a gallon will give you the number of gallons for your amount of mix oil.

I got the math part of it down. I was asking for simplistic ways to mix the gas/oil at 32:1. Figure that out, and engineer trying to do things simple. I guess I could by those 32 oz tin jars of premix that I've seen at Home Depot that cost like $5 for 1 quart.

I got the math part of it down. I was asking for simplistic ways to mix the gas/oil at 32:1. Figure that out, and engineer trying to do things simple. I guess I could by those 32 oz tin jars of premix that I've seen at Home Depot that cost like $5 for 1 quart.

Just buy your mix oil in gallon jugs and get a measuring cup....

ya can always tell an engineer.....ya just can't tell 'em much!:givebeer:

The oils I buy have the oz. s marked on the side. I usually buy it in quarts but I have a case of old Stihl 40 to 1 in 8 oz. bottles I bought for $20 that have the oz's marked also. I aim for 25 to 1 (6oz to a gallon) when I mix, if I'm off 1oz or less I don't worry. Might add some gas if I go over if its handy.
Haven't had any oil related problems mixing like this for decades. I get some smoke when I first start my engines from choke,but usually within a cut or 2 it is difficult for me to distinguish any smoke coming from the exhaust.

All of you imperialists ought to know that this is MUCH easier under the metric system, right??

I can't get my head around ounces, gallons (US versus imperial), chains, furlongs, miles, 110 Volts - sheesh!

1 Litre gas + 20mls oil = 50:1
1 Litre gas + 25mls oil = 40:1
1 Litre gas + 30mls oil = 32:1

Grab a cheap plastic syringe or burette and you're gold.

EASY, DONE, SIGNED-SEALED-AND-STAMPED, GAME-OVER, METRIC FTW!! :p

Last edited:
I picked up one of these MixMizer syringes at Wal-Mart for $3.50
30111.jpg

http://www.hopkinsmfg.com/10111.html
http://www.hopkinsmfg.com/30111.html

Graduated for all standard mixtures (SAE & metric)
Ya don't have to wipe sawdust out of it each time
Made in USA
Suck-squirt-shake-pour-pull-saw. Easy.

-Eric.

Last edited:
Back