So why all the "angst" towards the Husky 455?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The more I see of mine the better I like it.

Another board member came over to the farm today to run some saws..like a mini GTG. I provided a 24 inch ash log and a 13 ft long X 9 inch Diameter beach log to test a few saws. He needs to test run some of his mods.

He provided a Dolmar 7300 with his modded muffler (mufflers built by him on all his saws), a Husqvarna 350 with his muffler mods, a Husqvarna 55 with a muffler mod, and a McCulloch 610 for a vintage flare. Oh yea..he has a neet digital Tack.

Me? I wanted to tune on my stock Husqvana 455 and Husqvarna 440e, and for vintage flare my old Homelite 903.

What did we learn?

1) The Husqvarna 455 is a really nice saw to run, even with its extra "baggage" weight...it out runs a husqvarna 350 and 55 pretty handily. A lot more midrange grunt than I expected. I have mine where it likes to be at around 8500-9000rpm in the cut. gets over 11,000 no load.

2) That Dolmar 7300 has power to spare with a 24 inch bar in Ash..really nice running saw. Rivals the 272 and 372's I've run...of course this one has a muffler mod and puts out a bit more noise.

3) That funny vintage Homelite 903 tached out at just over 10,000rpm's "no load" and cuts best at 7000-8000rpms. I didn't think they would twist over 7500rpms even with no load! Suprise! These old 82cc Homie saws are runners and yet again reminds me today in that 24inch dia ash log, there is no replacement for displacement!

4) That modded 350 really is a practical saw and also has lots of mid to top end power for a 50cc saw. More than the 55. Its an education and shocker to run it back to back with other similar saws.

5) The Husqvarna 55 would have been a really nice saw if you never ran other saws of of similar size as we did today..just when the 350 and 455 were run back to back with the 55..the 55 just looked and felt weak as compared. Runs clean and crisp, revs out nice....

6) That Mc 610 is a nice saw as well. Likes to be at 7000-8000 rpms in the cut. Had no problem with its bar buried in that big ash log we had today.

7) My 440e is a nice quiet easy starting saw...not a real powerhouse. Certainly couldn't keep up with any of the other saws...but it has a reason to exist. Smooth. Easy to start. Enough power for limbs and small trees. Light. the lightest saw here today. Perfect for the bride.

So...my message to those 455 haters....yea its no light weight for a 55cc class saw..but it cuts in stock form really well. For the average farm its the best choice over the others we had here today...and I am beginning to think its just generally under-rated. AND if it lives up to claims for fuel usage..its even a better farm saw than my Husqvarna 365...the more I run it the more I like it.

440e? Nice, quiet, and smooth little homeowner saw. I would recommend one to a homeowner looking for a saw for around the yard maintenance with NO hesitation. My bride likes how light and quiet it is in stock form. NO mods for this one! We will run it until it doesn't run anymore on this farm....then I will tell you if its durable or not, I guess.

Last edited:
455 rancher

Too much plastic!!! :dizzy: Some are way too lean out of the box. My friend fried his in three days.
I used one of my own for a season, nice saw a little heavy. Try two 1/2" holes in the muffler and retune the carb. It will get loud but they sure do RUN!

Now if you buy a new saw thats too lean out of the box and it burns up in 3 days, shouldn't the warranty cover it?

Let me see...spur sprocket, comes lean, too much plastic.

The first two are easy..I'll see if the plastic is an issue over the life of this saw on our farm. Life is rough here for saws. Time will tell.

1/2 inch holes? A simple muffler mod? I might try that after a while. Thanx

warranty!!!

Yeah he burnt up one and took it back and they gave him a new one no questions. Lowes is cool that way. Seriously... I cut 16 cord with one the other year. I ran mine with a 20" B&C muffler modded, It would consistenly beat a stock 460! Put two 1/2" holes in the muffler and retune the carb and they come alive.:cheers:

There is nothing wrong with a 455 for it's intended market. It's just like the MS290 that everyone hates... They both fill their niche right nicely...
My local (30 mi) Stihl dealer didn't even stock the MS290, Stihl's most popular CS, whereas my local (8 mi) Husky dealer had the 455. I went with the 455. As to weight, when its in the log, never notice.

I'm exactly the intended market for the 455, a couple hours per week. If I were a pro making money with a CS, I'd own a pro CS. Very happy with the 455.

Yeah he burnt up one and took it back and they gave him a new one no questions. Lowes is cool that way. Seriously... I cut 16 cord with one the other year. I ran mine with a 20" B&C muffler modded, It would consistenly beat a stock 460! Put two 1/2" holes in the muffler and retune the carb and they come alive.:cheers:

You do mean a stock Husky 460 and not a Stihl 460, because I would like to see that!

First of all they come with a spur sprocket stock. Also they come with a flimsey plastic handle bar other than that I will not sell any from my husqvarna shop!!!

Interesting.

Tough to compete with box stores with that class saw. Out of curiosity...how do you price them? They are a $400 dollar saw around here. TSC sells them as well. The local dealer doesn't have anymore than required for a floor plan.

So I wonder..is THAT a reason for the angst? A good solid saw hard to mod and hard for the enthusiast dealer to sell when the price pressure from box stores is in the mix? That would explain a lot of things about how board member..especially those in a saw related business react..but still doesn't detract from what is a really nice saw for most people for the money.

Seems to me they might really end up being a "loss leader" and those who figure out how to make life better for Husqvarna 455-460 owners have a growth market.

Last edited:
455 rancher

I got started selling firewood the other year. The Rancher worked great that first year.The Rancher is an excellent Home owner saw, it has loads of torque and good air filtration (plusses for occasional users) and it really responds well to simple mods.

After coming to A.S. I decided to buy and use Dolmars but....that is another story.

I like hearing guys brag about how awesome their stock 455 is. Yeah, it might cut good with a sharp chain, but they haven't seen anything til they try a saw over 70cc's.

Wow!

I like hearing guys brag about how awesome their stock 455 is. Yeah, it might cut good with a sharp chain, but they haven't seen anything til they try a saw over 70cc's.

Show me a box store home owner 70CC saw? Maybe I'm missing something at Lowes:dizzy:

I'm realistic on the performance of my 455...read my first post. And..I've dealt with the over 70cc class saws for a long time. How many home owners can justify a 372 for cleaning up the yard and cutting a little fire wood? Actually how many farmers can justify a 372 or any other saw in that class for cleaning up fence lines, fire wood, and maintaining farm roads? The saws that will compete are those smaller 50cc class pro saws that do make sense.

You have to understand I was fully prepared to buy a Dolmar 5100s until I kept hearing the teething issues...and was lurking on ebay for a 353..and when this situation with the 455 happened I reluctantly took on the 455. Reluctantly mainly from what I have read here...and then the reality of its true performance was an epifany. This is a really nice saw! Way better than I expected based on all the ripping it gets here...thus this post and my point. This husqvarna 455 is much better than I expected, its a really nice saw one I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to another homeowner/farmer who need a saw for firewood, cleanup, and farm maintenance. Certainly better than it gets credit for on most enthusiast based websites...and I think I'm beginning to understand why.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with a 455 for it's intended market. It's just like the MS290 that everyone hates... They both fill their niche right nicely... :)

Gary
+1 I had herd so many bad things about the 290 on here,the first time I seen one being used I thought to myself wonder if it can cut it's way out of a wet paper bag. It did a fine job of cutting firewood.
The niche it fills is great the owner of the saw got a good deal, case,Chains, hat and file.
I am just a firewood hunter that suffers from CAD now if they made the 455 or 460 in Black and Red I might try one.I cut wood for years with a 3.7 Eager Beaver (610) Kept me warm ya it filled the niche.

Latest posts

Back