455 Rancher ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hausfire

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
someone just give me an honest answer I can get one for 340.00. I cut up about 4 to 5 cords a year. anywhere from 32 or smaller . this should be good right. my budget is 400.

Well my honest answer is that if it is a new saw, that's a good price.

You could do a search and see if you think it is a good saw for your needs.

it will work. 32 inch wood will be a battle (!!!!), but for most of your wood you'll be good to go. stick to the smaller stuff if you can ;).

i assume you are cutting "firewood"... if so, that saw is perfect.
abunch of people are getting ready to tell you otherwise, most likely.
they are also correct....:chainsaw::dizzy:

someone just give me an honest answer I can get one for 340.00. I cut up about 4 to 5 cords a year. anywhere from 32 or smaller . this should be good right. my budget is 400.

Bought a new 455 for my dad in 2005 w/ a 20" bar for $325.

At 9000 ft altitude, the saw struggles a bit with the 20" bar--stalls the chain easily. Does better with a 16" bar.

Saw doesn't have a lot of hours on it, but has been dead reliable for the past three years, and starts easily cold or warm.

Casey

I have to say that I would recomend that saw. I have one of my own and it starts very easily. I recomend that saw to any homeowner that needs one for firewood. You can put up to a 24" bar on it. I think that saw would be the best bang for your buck. You will have some peope telling you they are crap, how many of those people own one.

If you are cutting lots of 32" stuf then a used bigger saw would be better. The problem with that is you may be buying someone elses problem. But there are still some good finds.

On my big saw I have a 36" bar, its great if I am cutting big stuff but you have lots of tip to worrie about in the smaller stuff. So I run a 28" most of the time.

Last edited:
I got my 455 20" a month ago, have cut ~4 cords so far. My reference is a 32cc Poulan and by comparison it blazes through 12-24" logs. Yes you can stall the chain, just a matter of technique. 32" logs will test any 20" B&C, so I wouldn't make those a steady diet.

Stick to your guns and your $400 budget, you definitely don't need a pro saw for 4-5 cords a year. Here's some pics. $340 is a great price.

Casey,

If you're cutting at 9000' on the western slope this month, you're hip deep in snow. I'm ~10 miles east of the CD and at 8600' mostly snow free, see my pics from Jan. Enjoy your powder. ;)

At 9000 ft altitude, the saw struggles a bit with the 20" bar--stalls the chain easily.

Last edited:
Way too heavy for the power really, but it doesn't matter much if you are mostly blocking delivered logs.

Preferably get a 460 instead, if it is within budget......

Last edited:
Buy it, I don't notice the weight when I'm cutting. Like mine a lot, paid 379. at Lowes, yeah I know, but I never use warranty anyway.Fix stuff myself. Lanny

Another saw to look at would be the 450. I think it's in the same price range. If you doing 32" of less a 18 to 20 inch bar would be fine.

I bought mine new with an 18" bar and used it for almost 3 winters (until I got my J-red 2186).

The saw always started easy cold or warm and cut everything that I asked it to.

Yes, you can buy a saw that has a better power to weight ratio, but I never noticed the extra weight. If you are cutting 4-5 cords per year you should be happy with a 455.

The only disclaimer I would add is that I cut softwoods.

HTH

i noticed some 455s in stores have the pop off top cover. wich i like very much. but most seem to have screws holding the top cover on. i realy like the toolless top cover and would look for rancher with that feature.

Back