Looking at a grinder.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EzTrbo

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I try to use a file to sharpen or just put the edge back on out in the woods but I would like to purchase a grinder for sharpening at the house. I myself like to just carry a few spare chains with me when cutting and just change them out rather than sharpen out in the field, mostly when I'm using it at work and time is money. I've been looking at a few and don't want to spend a TON of money but do want a decent sharpener. Northern Tool has one that I think seems to fit what I need. My biggest question is this, I run pretty much all Stilh Chains and need to make sure that this sharpener will work for them. Is there a way on the chain itself to know what the depth and cut angle is? Any and all comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Trbo
(link to grinder)
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_351196_351196

That grinder will work just fine. Is it made of plastic at least that is what it looks like? I have Oregon's 511a that I bought used for $150 and it does a fine job.

Brian

That grinder will work just fine. Is it made of plastic at least that is what it looks like? I have Oregon's 511a that I bought used for $150 and it does a fine job.

Brian

Yes, after reading all of the reviews in the site that was the only down fall I have heard but for the amount I'm going to sharpen it should do just fine. Will see how many people start comming over to sharpen chains once they find out I have one.

Is there a "chain guide" booklet somewhere with all the different depths and angles for sharpening the different chains?

Thanks
Trbo

Latest posts

Back