Chainsaw chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfking42084

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need some opinions. I'm not a big oregon chain fan first off, and so i'm looking at comparing the woodland pro chains from baileys to the stihl chains I run now. Oregon seems to not hold their edge as long in similar situations as does stihl chain. So how does the woodland pro compare to either one of the brands mentioned? thanks

Im glad someone else has had the same experience with oregon chain. none of my buddies agree that stihl chain holds a better edge. I was also curious about baileys chain. and who makes it more specifically. :chainsaw:

chain

I've had real good luck with Total chain, you might want to look at some of it... I can't help you with woodland pro chain. :cheers:

I run the woodland pro chain from baileys and love it. It is actually a carlton chain with baileys cutters on it. Oregon chain is not what it used to be as far as holding an edge.

Yeah, you're not alone regarding Oregon chain. Stihl chain may well be the best, but Woodland Pro from Bailey's is good stuff as well, and pretty inexpensive.

Total chain is windsor chain! The 3/8 windsor uses the same tooth as oregon the 325 is actual original windsor chain! Carlton is the desired chain in this area!

Total chain is windsor chain! The 3/8 windsor uses the same tooth as oregon the 325 is actual original windsor chain! Carlton is the desired chain in this area!

I have tried some .325 Windsor semi-chisel that a dealer gave me to try out - not good chain.

The little experience I have with Carlton is promising (thank you Mark Heimann :cheers:).

Last edited:
I need some opinions. I'm not a big oregon chain fan first off, and so i'm looking at comparing the woodland pro chains from baileys to the stihl chains I run now. Oregon seems to not hold their edge as long in similar situations as does stihl chain. So how does the woodland pro compare to either one of the brands mentioned? thanks

The latest Oregon chain (at least the LG chain I've used) seems to be better than the previous stuff they offered........

Casey

Had a guy turn me on to Bailey's last year. Wish I had known about them a long time ago. In my opinion the woodland pro is great chain for the money. I've had good luck filing it also. For the money i have found nothing better. I did have a total chain that I picked up somewhere, it held up real well. Stihl makes a good chain but you pay for it.

That carlton chain is not bad but i have found that is cuts a bit slower and dosent bore cut as well as other chains. its also hard as a rock, tends to dull up files a bit faster. I use it for fire wood and on the hedder for buckin logs but i wouldent chop with it. thats just my opinion though only way to know is to try it for your self

Ok, I have used oregon, stihl, and woodsman pro/carlton, here is my thought.
Stihl is the sharpest out of the box but to high in my area. Oregon is good chain but is not quite as hard as the cheaper woodsman pro. Oregon is fine but it does get that razor sharp edge knocked off easily, you have to file often. I run almost all woodsman pro and did not like it at first! The first few loops I bought I thought it was harder to sharpen with a file than oregon and went back to oregon. As time went on I found the woodsman pro will hold an edge longer and as long as you have a good file, not a worn out one it sharpens fine. In my opinion woodsman pro is the best chain for the money, that I have tried! Thats just for my use you may have diff preferences.

I like the baileys stuff, but its no better then Oregon chain. I do really like the new LGX Oregon chain. If ya get the Woodland pro stuff get the RC series chain its nicer.

Has Oregon started making tougher chains in the past 5 years or so? I got my first Stihl saw in 2002 and was so impressed with the chain on the Stihl I gave my little Echo and all the oregon chains to my BIL. I used to wear out Oregon chains, I seem to wear out files with Stihl chains. I sure like the price on Baileys woodland pro chains. All I cut is firewood for my own use, so this isn't coming from a professional.

Has Oregon started making tougher chains in the past 5 years or so? I got my first Stihl saw in 2002 and was so impressed with the chain on the Stihl I gave my little Echo and all the oregon chains to my BIL. I used to wear out Oregon chains, I seem to wear out files with Stihl chains. I sure like the price on Baileys woodland pro chains. All I cut is firewood for my own use, so this isn't coming from a professional.

LGX is the newest, and yes it tougher.

And BTW, all chains wear out.

LGX is the newest, and yes it tougher.

And BTW, all chains wear out.
Wow what font size is that? Now that I know all chains wear out maybe you can help me with another couple questions. I lost my manual, why does my saw have two gas tanks? Why did the file I used on Oregon chains last forever (almost)?

I used to use Stihl chains exclusively, but with my sons becoming the age were they can use saws, it was getting expensive, I recently bought some Woodlands Pro from Bailey's and it is excellent chain for the money, I would rather have two loops of it rather that just one loop of Stihl for the same money. It holds a decent edge, sharpens well and performs, believe it is made by Carlton, there is many threads on this, just use the search function.
The John Deere saw I just bought (CS 56) came with a Oregon bar and chain, the saw is excellent, the bar and chain are junk. In my opinion the oregon doesn't hold an edge like it should and you have to sharpen it more frequently
than Woodlands or Stihl.

Funny that lots of people are giving a bad rap to Oregon, yet it is the world's #1 chainsaw chain.
I like the LGX, it's super sharp out of the box, holds a good edge for me.

Latest posts

Back