Grease on the nose of the bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meathead

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Had question on putting grease on the end of the bar, should this still be done or will the oil be enough. I ask the shop where i bought the saw (Husky) and he told me it was not needed, because it will collect dust a make the saw work harder.??????

The only thing I have learned from here and from some friends is that if you are going to grease the sprocket nose is that you should do it on a daily basis,otherwise don't do it at all.I for one have always grease my bars but I guess it's a habit.So really it's all up to you.

Later Rob.

Stihl stopped putting a grease hole in their bars because they say most people never used them right. The bar oil is plenty while running. If you're going to grease, do it at the end of the day to flush out contaminants that could eat at the bearings. The acid from Palms is a good example.

Most people do not grease the sprocket nose. They depend on chain oil doing the job. In spite of that, most failures are from pinching and not from lack of lube.

Until about the last month I had not seen any nose failures in a long time. I started getting some Oregon Power Match Bars and now three failures in just a short time. Said another way, the GB and Windsor noses are holding up better.

Steve here...
I dip my sprocket nose tips in gear lube when I'm done 4 the day, and the old Oregon roller nose...Well it tells it's own story.
My two cents
Steve

Hey Steve;
Doesn't that gear lube get all over your pillow when you do that?:p

Joe

Back