Question About Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bml

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can someone please explain some of the different types of chains for me, along with the best uses for each. I know what a skip chain is, but what is the purpose other than ease of sharpening???

Have you checked Baileys site?

Have you checked Baileys site? On top of this page? They have a pretty good write up about chains.

Dan

Skip chain requires less power to pull it through the cut, because there are less teeth to cause friction. They are used more on longer bars for that reason.

Can someone please explain some of the different types of chains for me, along with the best uses for each. I know what a skip chain is, but what is the purpose other than ease of sharpening???

There's safety chain- that has the kickback reducing bumpers. In terms of teeth, you really only need to concern yourself with full chisel and semi chisel. Full chisel cuts fast and dulls easily- it is preferred in clean wood. Semi chisel holds an edge better, especially in less clean wood, but doesn't cut as fast. I'm not positive or even that sure on this, but I think alot of safety chain is semi chisel with bumpers.
Other chains that you probably don't need to worry about are milling (has less of an angle for smoother cut) chipper (used on nasty dirty wood) and square chisel (super fast cutting pain is the @$$ to sharpen) as well as a few other odd chains.

Thanks for the help folks. What exaxtly is a hardwood chain?? Which chain most likely came on my new Husk 357XP???

needs to be a sticky.. maybe we should have a seperate chainsaw sticky header thread/folder instead of putting them all on the chainsaw threads..

but then what would we do - no more thread wars :givebeer:

Good thread!!! My Husky did NOT come with a safety chain. (thankfully)

Also since we are on chain questions (for some reason I cannot get this chain lingo)

My Husky chain is a 3/8, right?

On my little crappy 14" saw, I believe it is a 3/8 chain. So why doesn't my 7/32 fit in the tooth to sharpen? Are the teeth a different size depending on drive # or something?

I mean I can plainly see that the teeth are different but I thought it would work.

Forget it, Baileys told me that my smaller saw uses a lo-pro chain and I need a 5/32 file for that! Silly me!

So, then, if I gradually lessen the angle on my regular chains as I repeatedly sharpen them, I will end up with a milling chain? Or are there other subtle differences? Hows about raker height?

To be honest I don't mill, I just was trying to give a general overview. Rakers and sideplate might be different on ripping chain, no idea in all honesty...:)

STIHL Catalog

BML --

The "LINK", I'm sure was very helpful. V.G. Post.
But nice to have pictures also.

Go by your local STIHL Dealer and ask for one of his "full-size" catalogs --
They are FREE.

Super nice pictures/descriptions & applications of chain types & sizes.
STIHL chain will fit your saw fine.
Other good brands of chain also.
Catalog is nice though.

Latest posts

Back