converted to filing over grinding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

injun joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
:greenchainsaw:i bought the oregon sharpening jig for filing and i have to say what a HUGE difference i will never grind on my good saws again. just kind of like a rant.

Dull chain!!

Hey , i think this is funny, lot of you may have heard it... I know the chain is dull and needs sharpening, but i don`t have time to sharpen it now as i am to busy sawing!!!

I have never ground my chains.....just hand-filed them. Once you get the nak..you wouldn't go bak....dam*..I'm a poet too... :) :givebeer:

yeh the first time i filed the chain came out way sharper than grind. i learned how to hand file which is nice since i dont hace to put the jig on.

Filing is fine until

You get a hard spot on a tooth ,That the file will not touch.Then you need a grinder. I file in the woods but when the saw gets back home.. The chains come off and get ran through the grinder.

Square ground changes your perspective on all of it, chain sharpness, speed, smooth, ect. Try it, you'll never look back. And that's a fact.

I have not had any experience with grinding but I can get a dam sharp edge from hand filing. Maybe if I cut everyday or ran a saw shop, I wood consider a grinder....

Square ground changes your perspective on all of it, chain sharpness, speed, smooth, ect. Try it, you'll never look back. And that's a fact.

:agree2:, I need to get a square file and figure out how to use it, LOL. I got one dull square now with no files.:cry:

I was just curious about the posts.

Like an impact wrench, a chain grinder in the wrong hands is a dangerous
thing. So if some of the posters had a bad experience with someone "grinding" the chains, then I would suggest the one that did the
sharpening was not too good at it.

:agree2:, I need to get a square file and figure out how to use it, LOL. I got one dull square now with no files.:cry:

Once square has been touched by a grinder, you can just about forget by hand. It needs to be virgin LOL. The cutters are nearly impossible to hand file once blued by heat.

i love my grinder, i just take enough off so that the whole tooth gets a nice edge. i suspect the people who really bag on grinders either do not get the entire tooth. or they go to the dealer and in an effort to sell more chains he grinds off half the tooth.

:greenchainsaw:i bought the oregon sharpening jig for filing and i have to say what a HUGE difference i will never grind on my good saws again. just kind of like a rant.

I use the file guides and really like the results.

I have always hand filed faster and once you learn how it is easy.

On shorter bars/chains under 24" I like to hand file with the guide. I find the time to take the clutch cover off, remove the chain, put in the grinder, setup etc... as opposed to putting the saw/bar in the vise not worth it. However long b/c's can take along time to sharpen by hand so the grinder is nice for that.

I love hand filing. There is something relaxing about it for me.

:agree2: with some tunes in the background :givebeer: and a refreshment for the odd break, is rather therapeutic.

I like my grinder as well, just got it a couple months ago but I found when I do someone elses chain they have run it far too dull then it is a chore to grind it without turning it blue. I can file pretty well but I can't beat the grinder. If someone is watching me cut I usually get the "that thing cuts like butter" comment. It will pull itself through the wood and I will stop to sharpen if it doesn't.

yes i own my own grinder. an i just sharpened a 390 and a 056 and i used to grind them and they are square i had no problem filing them they cut good too. i like to grind on the smaller saws and it also comes in handy when i have to grind a few chains.

hand filing is easy. i learned when i was 11, and have never used a jig. next to tackle is square filing, i learned it at 15:cheers:

i love my grinder, i just take enough off so that the whole tooth gets a nice edge. i suspect the people who really bag on grinders either do not get the entire tooth. or they go to the dealer and in an effort to sell more chains he grinds off half the tooth.

The few guys I know who "bag" on grinders can file a chain to the point it will mop the floor with a ground chain or a new one. Just an observation:)

Back