Running modern 50:1 mix in an old 20:1 saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This probably sounds like a stupid question, but what would happen if I ran a synthetic 50:1 oil in 100 octane gas in a 30 year old saw that called for 20:1 in the manual? Will it immediately burn up? What has enabled that ratio to go up and up throughout the years anyway? Thanks.

(CS-351VL)

That would be fine. Oil quality has improved so profoundly since the days of 16:1 using 30wt motor oil that wouldn't really "mix" with the fuel...

That's what I suspected but wanted to make sure. Maybe someday we'll run 100:1.

Of course by then, lithium ion batteries will be so good that we won't need piston engines :)

I've run 32:1 in all my two strokes. Motorcycles and Chainsaws alike. With the better synthetics that mix burns clean enough not to gew up the exaust. I used Mobil One MX-2T and when that source dried up I went back to Bel-Ray HR1

I'd never run a 50-1 in a 20-1 saw !!! But thats me , why take the chance of burning it up , I run 32-1 in my old homelites and 50-1 in the new saws .Hey all your going to do with a rich mixture is maybe foul the plug !!

CHUGBUG; Where are you located in "north east" Pa? I live in Equinunk, Pa. Just north of Honesdale.

I've been running 50:1 in an old 051 that I use for milling. I've ben doing this since 1994 and have milled thousands of BF and the saw is running as strong as ever. last year when I converted my back up 051 into an 075 I had both my saws torn down and they looked great.

Latest posts

Back