Does this plug look like saw is lean?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dana60

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This plug hasn't been in my cs-900 too long probably 5 tanks. I did a muffler mod and adjusted carb what do you think? I though maybe alittle lean

Tan to med. brown is where you want to be.

Make sure you throw the switch while your in the cut.More accurate that way.

There is more to reading spark plugs than you can imagine. To tell rich or lean at wide open throttle you need to look at the very bottom of the porcelain. Like he said stop the saw in the cut.
It helps to have a special tool to see way down in there.
I believe TimberWolf knows a lot about plug reading.
I would richen it up some then lean it out a little at a time.

Last edited:
attachment.php

If it were mine I'd fatten it up a little.

Thanks for the fast replies. The last plug looked really brown but i put this one in and then looked again and it seemed lean. I will definately richen it. Anyone know how high a cs-900 should rev. I believe about 8,000 but not sure there are no specific specs that i have found thanks

I think the safe side is certainly richin it up a bit. If you are running it on the higher end more, especially. Better too rich than too lean.

I would also say it is too lean I like mine about the color of a new pair of carharts. I think andys plug is right on target.

Definitely too lean for my taste. This is how I like my plugs to look when I'm bucking logs all day.

Nice and brown.

attachment.php

Far be it from me to judge...but I would say that plug is more than a little on the fat side...and over oiled.

What does your piston wash look like?

It looks like "EPA standard", I'd fatten it up too. The EPA isn't going to buy you a new saw when it burns up. I liked the carhart description.

Mark

This plug hasn't been in my cs-900 too long probably 5 tanks. I did a muffler mod and adjusted carb what do you think? I though maybe alittle lean

thats dangerous for a 2 stroke!

that other plug looks good for a new saw.

I like em rich. but not enough to carbon things up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Far be it from me to judge...but I would say that plug is more than a little on the fat side...and over oiled.

What does your piston wash look like?

For a real working saw that's what you want. It wasn't over oiled the shine was from the glaze on the plug not raw oil. Now if I was cutting cookies yes it would be a bit rich, but then again you still need fuel to make power. I've done quite a bit of testing, and running a saw on the edge gets you nowhere, as soon as she gets hot you start to lose power. Within reason, fuel = power.:givebeer:

Last edited:
For a real working saw that's what you want. It wasn't over oiled the shine was from the glaze on the plug not raw oil. Now if I was cutting cookies yes it would be a bit rich, but then again you still need fuel to make power. I've done quite a bit of testing and running a saw on the edge gets you nowhere, as soon as she gets hot you start to lose power. Within reason, fuel = power.:givebeer:

Great post. Does anyone notice a little bit of color difference with the plugs between running the synthetic 2 stroke oil vs the regular? It seems like the plug color of all of my saws using the Stihl Ultra is much lighter than than that of the regular Stihl oil.

Latest posts

Back