Dremel Tool for Sharpening?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky Joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone use a Dremel Tool for sharpening? I was wondering if there is some type of accessory which would give me the correct 30° angle. I see Bailey's sells a battery-operated sharpener but I assume an A/C powered tool would have more oomph.

I have a 12 volt one that I use if I get one that is too far fooked up for a file when i'm in the woods.

Anyone use a Dremel Tool for sharpening? I was wondering if there is some type of accessory which would give me the correct 30° angle. I see Bailey's sells a battery-operated sharpener but I assume an A/C powered tool would have more oomph.

I use my dremel, they make a angle guide that you put on the dremel. Any store that sells dremels will have the chain sharpening attachment. Menards, HD, any local hardware store.

I have both and they are very similar in power terms but you don't need oomph to file CS chain cutters. The dremel has a higher RPM so you have to use it a bit more carefully. I generally file in the field so I use a file - by the time I walk back to the van and set the grinder up I'm mostly done with the file.

I use a dremel sometimes. It has a purpose made accesory for chains with a guide and four different grinders.

No, but I may try it on seriously rocked out chain.

I think it is a bad idea for normal sharpening - at least run it at low speed.....

yup i free hand with my dremel, works very good specialy when teeth hit metel or freakn chainlink fence, otherwise i usualy touch up with file after every use with the saw.

though i have touched up 4 chains in bought 10 minutes with the dremel, also keep rpms on dremel down to keep from reblueing the teeth that have aready been hardend.

I use a dremel and like it. Just don't really grind away with it, or you heat the tooth too much and take too much material off. Sometimes I keep my thumb on the back of the the tooth to check for heat. If you can't touch it as soon as you are done, you've spent too much time on that tooth. I'll make a few passes if it is really bad.

I use my variable speed dremel set on 6 or 7.

I've got the oregon 12V grinder - kind of like the Bailey's cordless. I think it works great, but if I had known about the Bailey's one, I would have gotten that instead.

I dont like the cordless models, they dont keep consistant rpms. The 12volt models dont have much power. I used to use a dremel, but I would look at getting a northern bench grinder, much better and faster.

I would look at getting a northern bench grinder, much better and faster
If I'm correct, I think you can get the bench grinder for about the same money as the cordless. It's nice to have several different sharpening options and for 10 bucks I might buy the Dremel kit. Thanks!

I've never saw any chain messed up to where 8-10 licks with a file won't fix it. And that would be bad. I see it as a waste of time and money. And it won't be as sharp as hand filing. The chain new in the box is ground at the factory, and my first hand filing cuts faster than the new chain. I know this because i've tried it. Two identical saws, identical bars, and chains. The freshly filed chain beat the new one by a good bit.

I need to pick me up a file or an attachment for my dremel. File would be nice though while im working for touch ups. What file should I get?

I prefer to use a file to sharpen - but finish up with dremel type tool and a speed controler from HF. I use a diamond bit from Baileys to hone the cutters.

Back