Firewood Saw help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vermontsaw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm new to this forum. Lots of respect for all the knowledge here. I'm not a pro logger...but I love to be working in the woods. I fell, limb, buck about 10 cords of hardwood firewood with my buddy every year. Been borrowing saws to do this work. I'm getting ready to take the plunge and buy. Grew up in Alaska running a Stihl...round here everyone runs Husky.

Not a knowledgeable mechanic yet, but want to learn. I'm looking at a saw in the 50-60 cc range. I know all the saws can be good if they're well taken care of. We've got a Stihl dealer 30 min away, 2 Jonsered dealers 15 min away, a handful of husky dealers, Echo, & Dolmar are close too. Do folks have any features I should really consider? I was looking at Magnesium crank case, compression release, 3/8 inch chain. Advice on specific models/ things to look for? Would love to hear advice on what to ask dealer.

Thinking of buying new so I know what I'm starting with...could be persuaded to go used. Then of course I'll need a back up saw, a parts saw, a project saw, does this sound familiar?

Thanks for your help & advice.
Justin

Around here at least the weapon of choice seems to be a Husky 357XP for almost any application it'll go to. Never used one myself actually, but looking on they seem to have plenty of power for their size and they're a lot lighter than my 266SE.

Sounds like you could use a Dolmar 5100s. No compression release though. Some models do have them though it seems. That's a screamer at 51cc's and an 18" bar and 11.2 lbs. Or you could jump up to the 6400, 7300, or the 7900. All numbers represent the cc's they are. Those last 3 saws weigh in at the same. I believe 13.6 lbs or in that ballpark.

I have a 420, 5100 and 7900. I mostly use the 5100. I have a 28" bar for the 7900 and I use it for felling and bucking large trees that are over 20". The 5100 has a lot of power and is nice and light. At the end of the day your back thanks you!

Last edited:
I would try to talk to people who deal with those dealers you mentioned. I would go with saw that has the best support. It may be Dolmar which is close or Stihl that is further away. Seems like youve done most of your homework,do a little more and let us know what you bought. Dont forget pics.:clap:

If the Jonsered dealer(s) are reputable,

I'd recommend either a 2159, (Husky 359), or a for a bit more $ a 2165. If you want a screamer in that size the Jonsered 2156, (Husky 357XP), is a great saw.

As an all around saw the 357XP is great. Good power and it really spools up quick making it good for trimming out or limbing.

For about the same $ as the 357XP, (at least around here) is the Dolmar PS7900. Power to spare in all but the biggest trees and not a bad handling saw though I really wouldn't want to limb with one all day. (But then again I'm a fat, grumpy old man.)

Truth be known there's just no substitute for the multiple-saw plan.

Take Care

Stihl offers the 361, in your requirements.

They also have the 280, which is a smaller, more affordable saw. Not pro grade, but occasional use... I'm not sure if you really are set on the pro grade or not?

If you like working on the woods, I'd think about the 280 to get you started... then let a bigger saw be your project saw and go from there. Right now you probably just want something that will start reliably, cut well and leave money in your wallet and a need for something bigger...

:spam:

I came to this site recently and asked pretty much the exact same question. I cut about 8-10 cord a year. I came in thinking about a 260 pro or 346xp. People here said they are both really good saws, and there was tons of support for the 346xp. Also highly recommended here are the 361 and the dolmar 5100 (although there isn't a dealer close by to me so thats not an option for me.)

I went to the dealer and checked out and held the 260 pro, 361 and the 346xp. But I still can't decide. I may just get the 346xp since it is so highly recommended and its cheaper than the 260 pro.

For the amount of wood you and I cut you certainly can't go wrong with any of these saws. The 270, 280, 290, and 310 would honestly be plenty saw for either you or I for the amount of wood we cut and would save some money for beer.

A lot depends on what size trees you cut the most. My nest saw will likely be a Jonsered 2165. Enough power for some of the larger stiff I cut but not to large for the majority. If most of what you cut is 15 inches or less you could get by with some thing a little smaller. Meybe a Jonsered 2156 or a stihl MS260. I just bought a used stihl 026 and I like it a lot.

The List

So here's the list

260 pro
Ms 361

346 xp

or

I'll keep doing my homework. I like these smaller pro saws they seem like they would be just the ticket. Now I just need to go demo at the dealers and size 'em up. I think that support is going the be best for the Johnny reds and the Huskys. The Dolmar dealer seems pretty flakey & the Stihl guy is a bit far..I'll give em all a chance.

Or should I just buy a used saw and learn how to fix it up? By the time I learn how to do that the logs'll still be laying around.

I bought my 026 used for $115 off craigslist. I ran great. I bought a couple new chains and have cut a couple cords with it so far. I feel better buying used saws I can look at than buying off ebay. Ebay is OK for project saws. The trading post here is also a good option.

Don't overlook the ms270. It has more power, better (much) AV and costs less than the 260. Be sure to give it a search here on the forum.

Have fun trying out saws and make sure you post pics of whatever you choose!:givebeer:

I'd say a 50cc saw and a 70cc saw..... take your pick on brands. IF you were only going for one saw then a 60cc saw would be in order. If you are going with 2 saw plan the 60 is just kind of lost in the middle. But, it's real good for a one saw firewooding. I like stihl. So I would buy a new 260 and start looking for a used 440. WDO

I'll keep doing my homework. I like these smaller pro saws they seem like they would be just the ticket. Now I just need to go demo at the dealers and size 'em up. I think that support is going the be best for the Johnny reds and the Huskys. The Dolmar dealer seems pretty flakey & the Stihl guy is a bit far..I'll give em all a chance.

Or should I just buy a used saw and learn how to fix it up? By the time I learn how to do that the logs'll still be laying around.

I would buy new for your first saw. You want a saw that cuts, right now. It will be your bread and butter for a long time (Some guys get by with one saw, lol crazy I know) so it might as well be fresh from the factory, ya know?

When you look to supplement that saw, with something larger or a backup (Again, some people cut strictly with 55cc saws, crazy I know) you can pick up a older saw, beat up saw, BIGGER SAW! and fix that saw up. You can fix it, play with it cutting... if it quits you, no biggie your #1 saw is there to pick up slack. If you are waiting on parts come cutting season... hey you still got one good saw.

Too often people advise too much saw for the job.

I live in Alaska for what thatd worth, so we can compare woods.

I got an MS270, I cut 8-10 cords of wood a year. The MS270 zips through frozen birch with no issue (and its got incredible anti vibration system).

It sounds like you need to keep weight down with all the rest you do, the MS270 should do that (again I don't know your wood and how hard it is).

MS280 is the next step up if local recommends somewhat higher (same frame saw, same weight, just more hp).

Cost?

How much do you want to spend? The most, and what your expecting to spend as far as least???

:popcorn:

Since your cutting right across the lake from me, chances are your going to be cutting the same stuff I am...

Last edited:
Thanks whitedog- 2 saw plan's a good idea...or will it be a 3 saw plan soon?

warrior-you're right I need to cut NOW.

cisco & smoker- I'm cutting into the Beech, Ash, Birch, Maple... eastern hardwoods as you all..trying to only work in the frozen months..but I F()*&d up this year and had too many breakdowns. Medium Diameter trees.. some bigger boys too.

Far as price goes...really should be nothing right now..but I can't afford to borrow- that seems like when saws need maintenance. It's driving me nuts using other people's tools. Gotta put an end to that. So I'm guessing least I'd pay is 400. Most I could swing is 600. I can still cut some wood for that eh?

Thanks for your advice & help all.. I'll follow the loggers and go 50-55 Cc...then I can fix up the bigger saw as a project later. ..

So that means I'm down to Johnny red & Husky.
346XP & 2156?? Not sure of the equivalent Johnny. The Stihl dealer here mostly sells tractors. I think he just does saws onthe side. The johnyred and the husky guys are 100% saw.

Alright- gotta get to work.

Back