file sharpening problem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adirondack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a CHAINSHARP hand file with both the round file and flat file combo at bailey's. I thought it was working just fine but now I think I might be doing something wrong. It seems like it gets the cutter of the saw chain very sharp but it has trouble "grabbing" the wood. It is an Oregon chain 72LPX072G that came with the saw. The flat file seems to be filing the depth gauge correctly but in Oak it almost acts like the chain is dull. If I push down on the Saw it grabs and seems to make big chips.
Do you run the file 90 degrees to the face of the bar or slightly tilted up to the edge of the cutter?
I have seen both recommended. The most logical seems to have a slight angle on the file to make a nice edge on the point so it can grab the wood easier. But I am a :newbie:and probably do not know what the :censored: I am doing. Thanks for any help.

The Oregon website (and I think the Stihl also) have very good descriptions of how to sharpen your chain, and what the sharpened cutters and rakers should look like. Try studying on them to see if you can figure out what might be wrong.

get a husqvarna filing jig. i got one when i first started filing and it helps tremendously i like the rollers. still use it from time to time.
attachment.php

sounds like your problem is at your rakers get your self a file o plate or something similar to cut them down to the proper heights

Do you know how high your rakers are? I perfer mine at .025 for cutting through hard woods(oak,hickory).

I think the previous 2 posts have hit the mark. Fil-o-plates are better than regular raker gauges because they allow the user to file to constant cutting angle rather than constant raker depth. As the cutter becomes shorter the raker depth needs to be made even deeper to maintain the same cutting angle. My rakers are as deep as 0.045" below the cutter when the chain is near the end of it's life. This makes a very significant difference to the ability of the chain to grab the wood. It's interesting how chain makers don't promote this more than they do, although I guess they would prefer you to buy a new chain?

Thanks for all the info. I thought the bailey's tool was automatically filing the rakers to the right height but I see I will have to measure them and take some more off. :chainsaw:Thanks again.

Last time I filed my chain it seemed to cut like crap also. I was using a 7/32 file on a stihl rsc chain 3/8". The first 2 times I filed it cut great then after that it seems I cant get it as sharp. The chain is pretty new.
I have the stihl filing kit that comes with the pouch.

Look at the box your chain came in or check manufacturers website, it will tell you the angle to file it.
Use back pressure not down pressure when filing.

Latest posts

Back