Greasing the sprocket bearing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if it's correct, but I just use a little wheel bearing grease on mine when I'm doing maintenance on the saw. I don't cut much though, so I only get to them about once a year.

Right or wrong, that's what *I* do.

The reason I asked is I am kind of funny when it comes to maintaining my saws. What I mean is, I like to take very good care of my stuff. I have been greasing my sprocket bearing after every tree cut with wheel bearing grease. It just seems like there isn't any grease in there every time I go to grease it. Has anyone found a grease that will stay in the bearing longer?

do it

you need to grease bar tips. unless they are Stihl they do not need it. you grese the tip every time the saw gets a bath:givebeer:

:cheers:

i use whatever grease comes in the little push grease gun i got 3 of em for christmas about 5 yrs ago. i usually give it two squirts about every 10th tank or so. i use oregon power match bars and the sprocket seems to be pretty bullet proof.

If you grease you need to keep greasing it until it's worn out. I used to grease then I quit when I put on a new bar. I wear out the rails faster than I wear the tip. I usually wear out a bar a year on my Husky 350 GB or Husky, never have worn out one my ES ot Titanium bars.
The Stihl ES bars and the GB Titanium bars don't even have a grease hole. Just some food for thought.

Used to not grease, then read one of these kinds of threads.

Started greasing. Got real tired of it. Cleaned out all of the grease with some brake clean, air, and determination.

Re-oiled bearings and haven't greased since.

When a sprocket smokes, I'll make sure it gets posted here so I can be properly reprimanded.

Is it time for the yearly sprocket bearing lube thread already???

Time flies when you having fun and drinking a lot.......

I tear down my saw completely and clean and lube it with Marvel Mystery Grease on every cut.......

I know it might seem excessive to some of you, but what do you know??????

It might take a few days to cut a rick of firewood, but I am
damn sure that my saw will last longer than yours....

I do have to helicoil my clutch after the first month, but
I do it right!!!!!!!

Just kidding a little....

The only time I ever see a sprocket bearing problem is when foreign matter gets wound up in there, so this is
a "Non issue"..................

But then, I am usually wrong.................

IsI tear down my saw completely and clean and lube it with Marvel Mystery Grease on every cut.......

The only time I ever see a sprocket bearing problem is when foreign matter gets wound up in there, so this is
a "Non issue"..................

But then, I am usually wrong.................

LMFAO!!! :laugh:

Not this time buddy... :)

Gary

I grease mine (bar sprocket) in the morning before I start cutting. I use wheel bearing grease, and pump until it comes out between the chain and bar.

TS:cheers:

If we were teenagers now, would we be here?

Latest posts

Back