Another sharpening ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racerboy832

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm sharpening my 3/8 stihl yellow chain. Is the top plate suppose to have a little overhang after it is sharpened? I'm just wondering if i'm putting too much down pressure when filing. Also is the file suppose to be slightly pushed toward the sky or 90 degree to the chain.

Are you using a guide or freehanding? It doesn't take much pressure, just light strokes

i'm doing it free hand but it seems to kinda hook at the top plate. So sharpened chains I see have almost no hook. That is why I was wondering if the hook is making my chains cut worse.

i'm doing it free hand but it seems to kinda hook at the top plate. So sharpened chains I see have almost no hook. That is why I was wondering if the hook is making my chains cut worse.

Are you sure you have the correct size of file? Take a look at this:

attachment.php

...Carl

Buy a Stihl file set up like this but be sure to use the correct file size. The jig the file fits in will ride on top of the cutter regardless of the downward pressure you put on it. I lay it flat on the top of the cutter, not pointing upward. Works very well.

fileguidescustom.gif

I prefer the +10* setting, and with a bit of practice have been able to get my freehand sharpening to be pretty good. The attached how-to diagram looks like good advice.

My best suggestion to you is to go buy a loop of Oregon chain and learn to sharpen on it first. Sharpening Stihl chain by hand is a PITA, whereas the Oregon stuff seems to like hand filing quite a bit more. And since practice makes perfect, a chain that is easier to practice on will speed the learning curve, IMHO.

Keep file 90 deg. to chain

The 10 degree tilt is for full chisel.

The correct file diameter is very critical, too much hook means either the
file diameter is too small, or you have migrated your strokes down into the
tiestrap.

The top plate should have only a hink of a hook. That is almost none at all. Think about filing up from the bottom of the tooth so that you are filing with the side and top corner of the file. Like from 8:00 to 11:00 on the file. (Yes I know a file is round and does not have corners but I can't quite find the words I need) Use the pictured file guide or a Granberg guide and have a tooth from a new chain to refer to. Your dealer should sell you one tooth for a buck. Finally, find the spec for your particular chain and follow it.

How dose it cut?

What do the chips look like?

How do they hold up for you?

To much hook can make some fast cutting chain, grabby and won't stay sharp long. The chips seem uneven (not like from a mini-planer) And hard to control the cut, easy to bog the saw.

Filing chain is perhaps the biggest function to cutting, it's a real Art.

It was fantastic to see Art Marten stopped by to post recently, for a good read, I recommend Will 'The Real Logger Please Stand Up' to anyone!

Read it from the Begin to end.

there should be a lazer etching in the top of the tooth to tell you the angle, and one on the side plate showing the correct hook. the file should be held 90 degrees with the bar.

Back