346xp vs ps-5100s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty299

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
First off i gotta say i love this site
I need help choosing my next saw it's either gonna be the 346xp at the tune of 870 bucks or the 5100 for 630. And yes these are the best prices i can find other than flee-bay lol. There is a local husky dealer and they seem to be good to deal with there is no local dolmar dealer nearest one i could get to even return an e-mail is three provinces away. I was set on the 346xp until reading so much good stuff about the 5100. I kinda would like to stay with the local dealer i've bought several saws from them in the past but don't really want to miss out on a really good saw if the 5100 is all its cracked up to be . To be honest untill discovering this site i never even knew there was such thing as a dolmar.

The saw will be used to cut 60+ full cord of soft wood ranging from 4'' to 16'' per summer.

So people with first hand knowledge of each what would you do and why?

Either saw is very nice. With the Dolmar deal 3 provinces way, I'd really think that over. You describe a lot of cutting you're needing to do, and every saw needs a little maintenance sometimes. Being so far away, I'd probably stick with the local guy.

For what it's worth, I've got a 346xp and I really like it. Feels like an extension of your arms after a while. I am always surprised how hard it pulls too. Not too much experience with the Dolmar.

Yes both prices include taxes but the 630.00 for the dolmar includes the shipping from british Columbia.

:jawdrop: That's a lot of money for those saws!!! I ran both fairly close together and preferred the 346xp. $240.00 sounds like a huge price difference but if you're going to be cutting that much wood having a good local dealer might be worth it.

SMITTY, you have 2 dealers in Selkirk, 1 in South Junction, 1 in Portage laPrairie, 1 in Niverville. i've talked to the guy's at Nix in Selkirk Mb and they seem like good guy's. I picked up my 346xpg today and made a couple cuts behind the shop and i really hope it gets better. i ordered a non cat muffler for it but for 240 less i'd definately get the 5100 there's 5 dealers in the winnipeg area so i woodent spend the extra 240 on a saw just because you think you dont have dealer support.
Ritch

I prefere the Husky because it handles better, specially in the woods - but if you just cut up delivered logs, that may be a moot point.

The Husky also has a very "snappy" accelleration (rev-up), that the Dolmar can't match - but doesn't rev as high

Imo, the Husky is worth the extra money - and then there is the fact that you have a local dealer.

Buy the Husky locally, and be happy! :clap::clap:

I live 12hours north of Winnipeg so if i have problems dropping by to have them look at the saw is not an option so it would have to be shipped. This is why i said there was no local support for the dolmar.

I prefere the Husky because it handles better, specially in the woods - but if you just cut up delivered logs, that may be a moot point.

From stump to stove every cut will be made by the one i choose except for my 13 year old son helping me out with his husky 445.

I have and use both saws.

The 346 needs a different base. Can't haul it anywhere without it falling onto the bar side of the saw. My 346 will out cut my 5100,but it has been modified.Stock they are apples to apples.The 5100 is my favorite saw.Especially if I was going to have to pay more for the husky.

From stump to stove every cut will be made by the one i choose except for my 13 year old son helping me out with his husky 445.

Then, get the Husky, and don't look back! :)

There is also a local stihl dealer while i know very little about there line up i can get a ms 260 for 638.00 or a ms 361 for 761.00 both on sale right now.
I only ever used one stihl an 032 about ten years or so ago and i hated that pig I know the 361 is a bigger saw but its on sale right now for 109.00 less than the 346xp. How do these two stack up speed and weight wise keeping in mind the biggest thing i'll ever cut will be 14 or 15 inch softwood.

There is also a local stihl dealer while i know very little about there line up i can get a ms 260 for 638.00 or a ms 361 for 761.00 both on sale right now.
I only ever used one stihl an 032 about ten years or so ago and i hated that pig I know the 361 is a bigger saw but its on sale right now for 109.00 less than the 346xp. How do these two stack up speed and weight wise keeping in mind the biggest thing i'll ever cut will be 14 or 15 inch softwood.

ms361

It's a little heavier but should make shorter work of 14-15" wood. At $109.00 cheaper I quit playing on the computer and go get it!

I hope those are taxes in prices cause im pretty sure the 260 is $569 right now.

And for 109 less I'd take the 361 over the 346. Spend 2 weeks night and day on here and read all the threads on the 361 cause it would take you that long to read them all. Then go get the 361

:EDIT had to find out for sure so I looked it up. In the Stihl promo flyer MS260 is $569.96 and the MS361 is 679.96

http://www.stihl.ca/promos/spring_09_en.pdf

Last edited:

The 361 is less money than the 346xp here as well (about the same with handle heating though) - my choise is both! :)

Imo the 5100S handles pretty close to the MS361, but with a lot less power and just a tad less weight - it sort of falls between the other saws, as sort of a backup saw (I have all tree).

How is the throtle response compared to the 346xp There's nothing quite like a snappy saw

The 346xp might have the edge there but not by much.

What do you think Troll, don't you have both?

The 361 is less money than the 346xp here as well (about the same with handle heating though) - my choise is both! :)

Imo the 5100S handles pretty close to the MS361, but with a lot less power and just a tad less weight - it sort of falls between the other saws, as sort of a backup saw (I have all tree).

Wow its the head 346 cheerleader .......Seems that the 346 is having some troubles.....:popcorn:

Latest posts

Back