**CHAINS** Question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drgnarr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After reading some threads on chains there is something I need to clarify; You have stihl chains, husky, carlton, oregon, woodland, windsor, etc. I know that stihl chains are THE CRAP.....but are these other brands that horrible, or are they just talked down on because stihl is just a preferred chain?

Who is second best compared to stihl? If you could not buy a stihl chain, what chain would you buy?

Who makes husky chains?

Thanks

No, the other chains are not bad or as some claim- soft as butter. Use what ever you like and don't worry about it. Just kearn to keep your chain sharp and keep it out of the dirt.

No, the other chains are not bad or as some claim- soft as butter. Use what ever you like and don't worry about it. Just kearn to keep your chain sharp and keep it out of the dirt.

Yup.

I prefer the Stihl RSC myself, but probably wouldn't buy it if my local guy didn't give me a decent discount. For the money, I've always felt Bailey's Woodland Pro was an exceptional value. Just buy in multiple quantities as the shipping can quickly erase any and all savings.

Take Care

Yea deffinatly a personal preferance thing. i like the stihl stuff but tend to buy oregon by the spool just because i can get it so much cheeper and i tend to fly threw chain.

That question is similar to: What is the best brand of chainsaw? There is no right or wrong answer. I think Oregon makes Husky chain.

Yes, Husky chain is made by Oregon, but to Husky's standards........
IMO, Stihl chain is the best chain, But if you are looking for dollar wise, I think Carlton or Husky would be a better buy..........

My order of chain preference use is Carlton first, then Stihl then Oregon

See bob likes carlton best! Just used this for an example, alot of people dont like carlton, I do. My point is stihl/ husky-oregon/ carlton-baileys are all good chains they just cut a little diff and sharpen a little diff especially with a file by hand they feel diff! The only way to know what you like is to try them!

After reading some threads on chains there is something I need to clarify; You have stihl chains, husky, carlton, oregon, woodland, windsor, etc. I know that stihl chains are THE CRAP.....but are these other brands that horrible, or are they just talked down on because stihl is just a preferred chain?

Who is second best compared to stihl? If you could not buy a stihl chain, what chain would you buy?

Who makes husky chains?

Thanks

oregon makes husky chains.

and yes, stihl is the crap. its the best out there. if i couldn't have a stihl chain, i would get a axe.

I usually use Stihl RSK. But when I went to the dealer a few days ago (for a clutch bearing that I lost, but magically reappeared upon returning from the dealer) I picked up a loop of square ground full skip. We'll see soon enough whether it's worthy of the praise it gets on here....

I usually use Stihl RSK. But when I went to the dealer a few days ago (for a clutch bearing that I lost, but magically reappeared upon returning from the dealer) I picked up a loop of square ground full skip. We'll see soon enough whether it's worthy of the praise it gets on here....

I was at a GTG a month ago and I tried a loop of square chain. I think it was Husqvarna chain, new in the box 20" loop. I threw it on my 394, and thought it cut like a half dull round chain...........
I only made a few cuts and gave it back to him... IMO it is NOT worth it...

My order of chain preference use is Carlton first, then Stihl then Oregon

A lot of us Aussies seem to like Carlton.
Makes a lie of the "it's soft" claim when you look at our timber.

I agree with Mike about the vibration side of things, there is more 'feedback' with the Carlton IMO.

A lot of us Aussies seem to like Carlton.
Makes a lie of the "it's soft" claim when you look at our timber.

Yup.
Carlton, Windsor, Oregon, then Stihl for me (Oregon and Stihl similar in my experience but Oregon way ahead on price in Oz).
Like I mentioned in a past thread I made a half/half loop of both Carlton 3/8" semi chisel and Stihl 3/8" semi chisel (not sure of exact model of chain). I then ran them through some pretty filthy, dirty, Australian hardwood until it went off the cut.
Both leading edges were visibly damaged but the Stihl chain was completely stuffed - way worse than the Carlton and I had would have had to grind the cutter back considerably further than the Carlton chain to fix it.
I like Stihl gear and by itself Stihl stacks up well. In the conditions I cut in next to chains like Windsor and Carlton though it just doesn't cut the mustard. It may fare better in full chisel types in green wood? It must do as its a very popular chain brand in the states.
Even if it was equal it is still a full USD$100-120 dearer per 100' than Carlton/Windsor in Australia! One of the many reasons I dislike the way Stihl runs its pricing/dealers in Australia.
For example; Big Stihl advertising campaign going on in Australia at the moment - you get a free case with any of the smaller saw models when you buy them. Well actually you may, or you may not :) It depends on how the dealer feels at the time and whether he feels like giving you one! It seems there is no obligation for the dealer to supply it at all?

Last edited:
I have usually run Oregon/Husky chain on my saws because until recently, all I had were Huskys. :chainsaw: I bought a Stihl MS361 and got two chains with it. After using it, I feel like the chain stays sharp longer and it seems like it is a bit harder when using the file on it. I just picked up a couple of Carltons that were on sale at Amicks for a great price-around $30 delivered for two 20-inch loops. I will get to see first hand how they do.

They all get dull in the dirt. :chainsaw:

aint breed of chain i

i am force by cost and the need for a chain now not a week later. as to oregon it is ok stuff. oregon owns windsor,carlton=woodsman pro,husky chain :) it is cheaper to buy chain localy then to order it i find.

:givebeer:

I agree that it is usually cheaper locally, but I just bought two loops from Amicks delivered for about 30 bucks (20", 3/8,50). The cost on either Stihl or Oregon for those here is over $20 each. Watch for the sales.

Back