Saw storage???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHLTHEDEERE

This is Koty
Reaction score
I just would like some professional opinions. I dont use my saws alot(2-3)times a year.but when i cut,i cut a bunch of wood up.is it better to keep fresh gas in them,and run them once a month,or run them dry at the end of my wood cutting,and store them dry til the next time??? I've heard arguments both ways. Thanks STIHL MS210,MS270,MS390

Last edited:
Run them outta gas. If not it will gum up the carb.

Without going crazy and getting involved in stabil, seafoam, avgas, etc, etc, just idle them out before you put them away.

Without going crazy and getting involved in stabil, seafoam, avgas, etc, etc, just idle them out before you put them away.

You can also open the gas cap and let the fuel evaporate after you run it dry. Be sure to idle it out instead of running it hard, it leaves a filme of lubricating mix in the crankcase.

Use fresh fuel when you run. Mix doesn't keep well, cause of the pump gas.

You can also open the gas cap and let the fuel evaporate after you run it dry. Be sure to idle it out instead of running it hard, it leaves a filme of lubricating mix in the crankcase.

Absolutely the right thing to do. Not just for the tank, but it ensures that the fuel filter will also dry out and not be gummed up.

Another thing if it's possible for you to do is to store saws where the temperature is fairly constant. Wide swings in temp, like in a storage shed, cause condensation, and condensation can cause oxidation on aluminum parts.

Stihl says to run them out of fuel for storage.

I feel the best way to do it is to start the saw and get it warm, dump the fuel out of the tank, start the saw and let it idle until it stops. If you have a plastic storage case put it inside and keep it in a nice dry environment....without temperature swings as someone stated earlier.

Dump your leftover fuel mix into your car, truck, tractor or lawnmower when you have a nearly full tank so the oil will be diluted and you can use the mix up. Mix up a fresh batch next time you want to saw.

Latest posts

Back