Reshaping Cutter Angle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Knight

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I misunderstood a post on sharpening angles and really messed up a chain. Luckily I only messed up one side of the chain before I caught the mistake. I have spent quite a few strokes on each cutter trying to re-shape it back to factory. To do this, I had to put a brand new point on the cutter by filing back the leading edges at a new angle until it got far enough through the edge to start cutting a new point. I focused on making sure the cutter stayed straight, filing it back until I got some semblance of a point. The raker is simply cut flat with the raker filing guide. Does this sound right?

Here are the chips thrown out of a cross-cut after I screwed it up:

picture.php

And here are the chips after I re-filed the edge:

picture.php

The saw feels like it is pulling itself through the wood again. Is this what I should be seeing if the cutter is reshaped properly?

Also, I tested it in some noodle cuts. Here are the noodles coming out the back of the saw:

picture.php

And here are the noodles come out the front off the bar:

picture.php

The ones in the back have a lot of dust. Is this because there is still something wrong with my cutters or raker depth, or is this a product of the chain re-cutting the noodles as they clog on the chain catcher (I do not have a roller catcher yet)?

Chips and noodles are going to look different for each type of wood you cut. You can't just look at the chips and assume your chain is dull.

Great job, wanna sharpen my chains too?

You should see some of the odd angles on some of my chains!

Just use the line guide on the back of the cutter. As far as the rakers being flat as long as their not low it doesn't make a ton of difference. By the way, it looks fine and looks to be cutting good!

Latest posts

Back