Which Of These 3.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoopie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My first post here. I just bought a home less than a year ago that has around 12 wooded acres dominated by white oak averaging 10"-20" DBH. I'm looking to buy my first chainsaw; needed mainly to fell trees for firewood. I don't know how much wood i'll be using. We've got a wood burning insert as a secondary means to heat our home; it's used at most 2 times a week for a few hours. I'd like to spend around $400 on a new saw. Which of these 3 would you buy and why? Or should i be looking at other models.

Husqvarna 455 Rancher
Stihl MS 390
Dolmar PS-1500 S

My first post here. I just bought a home less than a year ago that has around 12 wooded acres dominated by white oak averaging 10"-20" DBH. I'm looking to buy my first chainsaw; needed mainly to fell trees for firewood. I don't know how much wood i'll be using. We've got a wood burning insert as a secondary means to heat our home; it's used at most 2 times a week for a few hours. I'd like to spend around $400 on a new saw. Which of these 3 would you buy and why? Or should i be looking at other models.

Husqvarna 455 Rancher
Stihl MS 390
Dolmar PS-1500 S

I would think carefully before cutting a lot of trees down just for firewood. Those trees may have a lot more value than the money you would save by burning them. Maybe take only downed trees or removing some to improve growing conditions for others.

As for saw choice, I would go with the Dolmar 5100S, 390, Rancher in that order, depending on whether there was a dependable dealer nearby.

If you want to take advantage of a warranty and will be needing a dealer for any necessary work on your saw, than as buzz sawyer mentioned, go with your best local dealer. If you figure you don't need a local dealer, then there's lot of reading to do hear to help with your decision.

And welcome to AS.

Kevin

Thanks for the replies. I did get an estimate on what i have in standing timber out there. I was given a price that was about 1/4 of what I would want for me to consider having someone clear cut the land out there. I'm a hunter and bought this place for hunting first and foremost, (we have about 30 acres total). I have found 2 stihl and 2 husky dealers within 15 minutes that everyone seems to love all full service(two of which work on any brand). One dolmar dealer about 30 minutes away, don't know much about them. Thanks again, if you've got anymore input let me know

Thanks for the replies. I did get an estimate on what i have in standing timber out there. I was given a price that was about 1/4 of what I would want for me to consider having someone clear cut the land out there. I'm a hunter and bought this place for hunting first and foremost, (we have about 30 acres total). I have found 2 stihl and 2 husky dealers within 15 minutes that everyone seems to love all full service(two of which work on any brand). One dolmar dealer about 30 minutes away, don't know much about them. Thanks again, if you've got anymore input let me know
That's the way they are here, They have some for sale but can't tell you a thing about them. Hardware stores is where their sold here. they don't service them and don't have a clue what they are selling. I agree that dolmar would be a good choice, but if your dealer is like they are here you better stay with something that can get worked on. Unless you can fix them yourself.

Where abouts in ohio are you???

I have been to 3 dolmar dealers in my area and maybe I can steer you to the right one if you are in my area.

Definatly not the husqvarna!!!!!! Husky saws run good but they do not back their warranty!!! I bought a 455 and it ran good for 2 months and went bad. I contacted husqvarna and they did not cover it even after the dealer serviced it themselves. So there I was stuck with a 400 dollar saw thats no good to me. I then bought a Stihl MS 290 and its a great saw. No problems yet and its been 1.5 years now. I always heard good about Dolmar but dont own one. Just thought I would tell my experience with husqvarna.

I'm in the ashland area. I called a mower/saw service place that specializes in stihl. They said they do work on dolmars and have a place about 30 mins away that stocks parts. The way the place looked reminded me of a mom and pop auto parts store where everyone working had hands that looked like they'd just got done working on a motor. Feels like a good place to get work done about 15 minutes away.

5100, 290, 455, in that order. If having a local dealer matters, that might sway your decision a bit.

Frankly, any of these saws will get the job done for you. I find the 5100 is not only the most powerful of the three but also much more nimble in my hands, which earns it points as an all-around machine. 16-18" bar and proper safety gear, and you'll be good to go.

The issue of warranty length/coverage may or may be an issue to you. Understand that different dealers are willing to go to different lengths (for different customers) regarding warranty claims. It has not been my experience, or that of OPE dealer friends, that one brand is necessarily better than another in terms of timely warranty coverage. That said, I usually void the warranty on a new saw before I've even put gas in it, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

As for managing your property, it might be worth at least talking to a forester about maximizing the utility of the property as a wood source for firewood and, potentially, as a source of a few saleable logs in the future.

There used to be a place in loudenville called Stangers outdoor power equipment but Dolmars website doesn't list them anymore but they do list caseys rental and repair in loudenville. I called them and they said stangers is no longer in business. They were a good dealer too. The guy at caseys said they picked up dolmar after stangers went out do I don't know about them. If I had to guess, being a small town and a local guy, he's probabally alright.

The only other two dealers I've been to are Wiford in mt vernon and franks in newark. Franks is excellent for service but wiford is cheaper to buy saws from. But I don't know about wifords service, never had anything worked on there. Sorry I couldn't help. Stanger was a real good dealer, and into modding saws and stuff too. I can't believe he's no longer in business. O'well and good luck with the saw shopping.

Latest posts

Back