Carlton chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conifercaner

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Simple really, are Carlton chains any good?

In the uk they are half the price of Husky/oregon chains!!!

atvb CC

Last edited:
I have on on my Super XL and one on my Pro Mac 700. The one on my 700 is full chisel and the one on my Super XL is chamfered chisel. They both cut really well. The full chisel is a little faster and grabbier.

Their N1C is the fastest 3/8 low pro chain have ever run. I am also running some of their 3/8 and 325 chisel chain and it is OK stuff IMO

A lot of our tree guys use .043 3/8 low pro on their MS180's and ms192t saws and the Carton chain seems to hold up better than the Stihl 61PM chain.

I like them. I picked one up at a local Stihl dealer a while back and prefer them to the Oregon I was using. They seem to be easier for me to sharpen. Running them on the Husky. 20" 3/8" 72 .050" what I call semi chisel.

I have only one carleton chain. And I think it maybe the best chain I have ever had. Like Gary said it seems a little soft. It seems to be forgiving when sharpening and holds its edge extremely well. To some it up.... It makes the nicest noodles i've seen right out of the box.:greenchainsaw:

I love how these anecdotal claims that Carlton is soft keep emerging.

BobL did some hardness testing a while back, most mill operators and firewood cutters here in Oz use Carlton.
Why ? it tends to hold up better on our tough timber. You tend to get a little more 'feedback' than the oppositions reduced vibration chain, but it cuts well and holds an edge.

After a lot of mucking about I finally got around to testing the hardness of standard Stihl, Oregon and GB chain.

All are 3/8, regular comp semichisel.

I measured a range of cutters, ties and drive links, at least 3, but typically 6 readings for each link ~ 100 measurements in all. The hardness of the ties, cutters and drive links for the same make of chain are reasonably consistent.

Stihl is the softest, Oregon was on average 3% harder, while GB was on average 4% harder. My measurement tolerance is +/- 2% so there is technically NO difference between the Stihl and Oregon chains, and the difference between Stihl and GB is borderline and would require more testing to confirm this as a real difference. I would like to be more definitive but this would take far longer than I have time to devote to this activity.

Remember this scientific hardness data and does not necessarily translate into how easy chains are to file or how long they take to wear - this depends on many other properties of materials. For example a material can be softer than a another material but more abrasive resistant - so the overall wear is less.......

.......For completeness the chains I tested were

Oregon Chain numbers 72 (tie), 75 (cutter and driver) and 91 (driver)
It was all pretty much the same.

The Stihl was a chain number 3991 (driver, tie and cutter)

The GB was and A3EP (Carlton) driver, tie and cutter

Although it's generally acknowledged that it is the hard chrome that determines how long a chain stays sharp.

Last edited:
My "anectote" is that it just feels very soft when runnin' a file through the cutters. I seem to take more material in one pass than I do on a hard chain like Stihl sawchain.

Gary

I love how these anecdotal claims that Carlton is soft keep emerging.

BobL did some hardness testing a while back, most mill operators and firewood cutters here in Oz use Carlton.
Why ? it tends to hold up better on our tough timber. You tend to get a little more 'feedback' than the oppositions reduced vibration chain, but it cuts well.

Although it's generally acknowledged that it is the hard chrome that determines how long a chain stays sharp.

so Rick, are you saying its the chroming on the Stihl chain that is making it feel harder?

Serg

Their N1C is the fastest 3/8 low pro chain have ever run. I am also running some of their 3/8 and 325 chisel chain and it is OK stuff IMO
I too have found it the best LP 3/8 chain I have a good buddy and Stihl head that now buy's the 3/8ths LP instead of picco.
I have run it on my bigger saw's but not really enough to say if it is better or worse than other chain but the price is right!:)

Been running Bailys/Carlton 3/8 .050 Semi-chisel and round chisel for about 3 weeks now.

Have had to hit both with the file twice each, and gotta agree with Gary on it filing softer, why I dunno

Both cut as well as USA Stihl, and hold up like USA Stihl does so far, in sandy Oak, Cherry, and Sugar Maple. Frankly I am impressed. I don't cut cookies ith a stopwatch so can't say how much faster or slower than brand X is, just that it cuts roundabout the same.

Better than Oregon in any case. My last loop of LGX is in the box for cutting on fencerows where I might find some wire.

Hope this helps!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

so Rick, are you saying its the chroming on the Stihl chain that is making it feel harder?

Serg

Serg, I don't think it is harder, Matt's, Bob's and Laurie's experience is that the Carlton semi holds up better when cutting our timber.
Matt made up a loop of half Carlton and half Stihl just as a test and the Carlton section held up better. He flat out reckons that the Stihl is softer, and he sells and uses a lot of chain.
I'll try and find the post.

Last edited:
In my opinion they are the best. I like them better than stihl or oregon. Their square ground full chisle is awsome!:chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back