fuel oil mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex36

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I know my mac 1-10 and 10-10 take 40:1, nut i bought some oil at lowes that says it replaces 50, 40, 32:1. do i follow the container or still go by what mcculloch wants?

regarding oil and mixtures.

Correct me if i am wrong on this, from what i have been reading on other sites and postings regarding 2 stroke oils is that today's oils are much better then oils formulated in the past, an engine is basically the same as one 10 to 25 years ago and if you run a good oil that mixes at 50 to 1 and use it in a saw that 25 years ago ran at 32 to 1 there should be no problem with that due to the superior lubrication values of the new oils and the saw will run cleaner and some cases even better, as an X-race engine builder and crew chief i do know how much better automotive oils have evolved and they are much better then oils made prior to 1990, as the old saying of what smokey yunick said about oils, conventional oils are about as antiquated as the model T compaired to synthetics, I use stihl ultra and echo power blend at around 47 to 1 in all my saws new and old.

I actually looked at the picture closely and it says synthetic so it should be quality, just have to figure out the ratio.

Any oil that does not have a rating on it i would not consider. modern oils should have a FC or FD rating with FD being the newest. some manufactures don't pay to have there oils certified so you don't know what you are getting. i used that stuff around six months ago and it seemed not to work well in my saw but it may have had a bad batch of gas as well. i am sure it is not as good as the stihl ultra or the echo oil but it should be better then the non synthetic oils out there as long it has the ratings. the echo oil is available at home depot and my local stihl/husky dealer. it has the FC/FD ratings on it.

Last edited:
Just go to the local dealers and find the best price on good oil, and run that. Be it Stihl, Husky, Echo or Dolmar. Get oil from a reputable company that is specifically for saws. Obviously synthetic is somewhat better but you'll survive fine with properly mixed dyno oil.

Me personally... I wouldn't use it... but thats me...

I use Stihl Ultra... in everything @ 50:1. Whether my saws are 4 years old or 40 years old. My Husqvarna nut(job) buddy uses Husqvarna XP Professional @ 50:1 in all his stuff. Both great synthetic oils...

Gary

I burn Trusouthoil's 40Fuel in my McCullochs, can't have the flatback carbs turning to goo, kits are spendy, when you can find them, we won't mention how hard finding primers is. 40Fuel is expensive, it is very good, I do miss the smoke though.

I run Husky and Stihl saws and use Husky and Stihl oil. BIL gave me a half case of Husky oil and I'll use it till it's gone then go back to my Stihl stockpile. All get 50:1 new or old and no problems so far. Mix all mine with 100 octane AV fuel and mix in 93 pump gas about half & half, and Sea Foam for my on personal reasons, all seems to be well with my mixture.
:chainsaw:

Oil and more Oil.

What it all comes down to is use a good oil from a reputable company, the saw manufactures do not make there own oils and is farmed out. any good oil will be certified by Jaso or Iso.

Echo is made by "Citgo".
Sthil Hp ultra is made by "Castrol Bp Lubricants".
Husqvarna is made by "Spectrum Lubricants Corperation".
Opti-2 is made by "Interlube International".
Not sure who makes the Pro Mix from Lowes but I will look into it when i am there next time.

Run 50:1 on all new and old saws because it is the oil not the engine!.

Hey, I ran that stuff from Lowes in my Lombard at 16 to 1. Engine seized. It didn't hurt the piston or cylinder at all. It just seized. Never could figure it out. The ambient temperature and humidity wasn't right to seize a saw and I have had that happen. I blamed this fancy stuff.:mad:

I run mostly used fryer oil in my saws at a ratio of 20:1. It is free from the local cafe and it smells like french fries when you burn it!

:laugh: Or mabey not!

Thanks alot, I tryed this and burned up my new 361.......and I am dying for a chocolate shake:dunno:

I need help too....I just realized a couple days ago that my container that I use for mix isnt a gallon, its one gallon six ounces!!!! Seriously, who in their right mind would make a container one gallon six ounce!!!!!! So, I have been mixing it for years at what I thought was 50:1, and now I find out that this isnt true. How lean have I been running my saws and should I expect them to seize in the near future? What type of damage can I expect if I tear into them. If they do seize at anytime in the future, I will be contacting the manufacturer of the container and will be expecting a full refund for all equipment that has ever used mix from that container. When a person buys a gallon container, they expect it to be a gallon, not a gallon six ounces.

Latest posts

Back