New 60-80cc Saw Recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Crouse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've decided I am going to buy a new chainsaw before more enviornmental regulations kick in and make saws even more complex, expensive, and lower performing. I want a 60 - 80cc saw and I plan on this being the last saw I will buy for a long long time.

I want:
- as much metal as possible
- electronic ignition (all saws probably have this now but I am used to old stuff)
- no cat or other emissions garbage
- highest quality overall construction possible
- no "self compensating" carb. I can handle adjusting things myself thanks
- good parts availability now and in the future meaning a popular saw is probably a requirement (dealers are not important as everything I get will probably be mail-order anyways)

I think an older saw would be ideal for me because I don't mind the weight and I am not in any speed contests but I've been looking and haven't been able to find any decent old stuff locally. Ebay is out of the question for me. I buy things with moving parts only after checking them out in person first.

I am not concerned with power to weight ratios. What matters most to me is high quality and being able to find parts 30 years from now.

The saw will be for personal use only and I'll use it mainly to cut a few cords of firewood a year. I know a 60+cc saw sounds like overkill but that is what I want.

What are some suggestions from those of you that know the market? I have read as many of the old posts as possible but I only have the net at work so my access is limited (I can't spend days on end searching 10000 threads).

I think an older saw would be ideal for me...

...What matters most to me is high quality and being able to find parts 30 years from now.

Unfortunately, these two statements are mutually exclusive. Just stick with a new husky XP model or a Stihl Pro series model, and you'll have a saw that will live as long as you do.

I would only suggest that you will probably want a backup saw, so instead of 60cc, I would suggest first a 50cc saw (346XP, MS260, Dolmar 5100) and then a 70cc saw later (MS441, 372XP).

I've decided I am going to buy a new chainsaw before more enviornmental regulations kick in and make saws even more complex, expensive, and lower performing. I want a 60 - 80cc saw and I plan on this being the last saw I will buy for a long long time.

I want:
- as much metal as possible
- electronic ignition (all saws probably have this now but I am used to old stuff)
- no cat or other emissions garbage
- highest quality overall construction possible
- no "self compensating" carb. I can handle adjusting things myself thanks
- good parts availability now and in the future meaning a popular saw is probably a requirement (dealers are not important as everything I get will probably be mail-order anyways)

I think an older saw would be ideal for me because I don't mind the weight and I am not in any speed contests but I've been looking and haven't been able to find any decent old stuff locally. Ebay is out of the question for me. I buy things with moving parts only after checking them out in person first.

I am not concerned with power to weight ratios. What matters most to me is high quality and being able to find parts 30 years from now.

The saw will be for personal use only and I'll use it mainly to cut a few cords of firewood a year. I know a 60+cc saw sounds like overkill but that is what I want.

What are some suggestions from those of you that know the market? I have read as many of the old posts as possible but I only have the net at work so my access is limited (I can't spend days on end searching 10000 threads).

I can understand your desire for a simple, non strato-saw. However, you might first want to consider some of the features you're giving up (improved antivibration, air filtration (more so in case of the stihls)), in buying an older saw design.

I would go for an MS 460. I imagine parts will be around for a while. It has an intellicarb but everything does.

Sounds like you want a 372xp or xpw - but the starter cover is plastic - I believe it is mag on the MS441 - big deal! :jawdrop:

If you enjoy vibes and dirty air filters, look at the MS460.

You should check out the 441. I know it is new technology but the anti-vibe and filtration is worth it. Is is super smooth...you can run it all day and you won't be wore out and you will have plenty of power for what you want. I think you will love it after you run it.:greenchainsaw:

Unfortunately, these two statements are mutually exclusive. Just stick with a new husky XP model or a Stihl Pro series model, and you'll have a saw that will live as long as you do.

I would only suggest that you will probably want a backup saw, so instead of 60cc, I would suggest first a 50cc saw (346XP, MS260, Dolmar 5100) and then a 70cc saw later (MS441, 372XP).

I do have a little guy I've been using that will become my backup and limbing saw. I am steering towards the Husky and Stihl saws due to popularity and my desire to keep the saw running for a long time.

I cut so infrequently compared with a pro user that vibration level is not important to me. Ideally I'd find a big old Homelite or Mac but I haven't been able to find anything nice. When did the Stihl "pro-level" saws start using "intellicarbs"?

I am surprised that Stihl hasn't adapted the air prefiltration to more of its saws than the MS441. I guess they are waiting for the looming emissions redesign to throw that feature in too. I took the MS441 off my list due to being the new engine, etc. design.

So far the MS460 and 372XP have been recommended. What are some obsolete models I may still be able to find new that would also fit the bill? Does the 372XP have a cat or any other crap like that?

What kind of cutting do you do? Homeowner? Firewood? Obviously not an arborist/tree service or a logger...

But, if you want a 60-80cc saw, on the low end you'd have the MS361... Lots of metal, long time parts availability, no EPA crap, etc. But get it quick, from the sounds of it you won't like the new 362 I've been running (prototype saw).

On the higher end you have the MS441 (or 440 if you can find one). The 441 has more plastic, but its still gonna be around a while, and will have parts available for a long long time. The 440 is more metal, less BS, and sounds more to your liking.

On the high end you'd have the 460... Same as the 440 but more power.

There's also the 357 from Husky which is a little below 60cc, but has about the same power. The next step would be the 372, or the 575/576.

And then, the Dolmar PS-6400, or the 7900...

All of them are great saws, take your pick.

Baited question on this forum. I have several in this range. All of these saws are destined to become obsolete with the 2010 EPA limits coming into effect next year. These are all non-strato, no cat pro series saws, and they will last forever if taken care of and fed good gas and premix oil. They will also have parts around for a long time to come. Depending on the age, they may or may not have better carb adjusting possible with or without limiter caps. Limiter caps are easy to modify and get around though. All new saws that you buy today will have limiter caps on the carb screws.

I like the Stihl MS 361 at the lower 60cc end, as it has very good spring AV system. They are a pro built saw, mostly metal, light and nimble. They run a 25 inch bar just fine. Good for firewood and falling two foot average DBH trees. Not too heavy or buzzy to use for long hours. You can also go with the MS 360 or earlier 036 in the 60cc class from Stihl. They have a tad more torque, but have a lot more buzz with rubber mount AV. They are older, harder to find, and some people want more for them used than a new MS 361. My 361s are my goto saws.

I also have a Stihl 044 with an added DP factory muffler for more grunt. It kicks bass. 70cc saw, same model as the newer Stihl MS 440. The 440 is no longer available new from Stihl in the USA. This saw was the favorite of loggers in the central coast range of Oregon where I lived for 4 years. In my view it is the right weight and power for a larger saw. It will run a 32 inch B&C. You can still get the Stihl MS 460 with more power (76cc) and about the same weight. Its the dog's ballacks of saws. I sold mine, as I did not need that much power. These two saws are more buzzy from rubber mount AV though.

There are also the Husky 372xps. There were two sizes made, which is confusing. There is also the similar size earlier model 371xp. I have never owned one, but I have run a 371. Less buzzy than the 440 or 460 from better AV, so they run smoother. Not as much power as my 044 DP in my experience. Good power and weight, the Husky 371/372 are the "other" saws that most loggers use here other than the Stihl 440 and 460s.

There are also the Dolmar 7900 but I have never run one. Also the larger Jonsered saws. I have an older Olympyk and a big old Mac, but compred to the newer saws, they are hard to get parts for and keep running, and they are harder on me to run.

Last edited:
I think it should be noted, with regard to the desire for lots of metal, that plastic is here to stay. All of the stihls, huskys and dolmars have varying amounts of plastic. These are all professional saws and stand up just fine to the beating of professional loggers. As troll points out, the starter on the husky is indeed made of plastic, but unless you plan on completely manhandling this saw, and even then, the modern plastics are not particularly weak, and are here to stay.

Just go to a bunch of Shops and handle the saw's don't look at the price or pay any attention to Hp power to wight yadda yadda pic the one that feels best to you! I like my 7900 but love my Jred I wish I could get a Jred with as much jam as the 7900 has for the same wight. But that is me I just like the straight handle on the Jred you might like the one on a Husky/Dolmar or you might like the Stihl more you really cant go wrong. Just go with what you like.

To confuse the picture further - "plastic" comes in a lot of varieties - they are not created equal!

The Stihl ones generally feels softer and less sturdy than the Husky and Dolmar varieties to me - but it also varies by where it is used on a saw, as it should.....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange: :dizzy:

Last edited:
To confuse the picture further - "plastic" comes in a lot of varieties - they are not created equal!
The Stihl ones generally feels softer and less sturdy than the Husky and Dolmar varieties - but it also varies by where it is used on a saw.....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange: :dizzy:

Really? The Stihl less sturdy and softer? Troll, ya drinking again?

After reading the suggestions I have added the MS361 to my considerations even though it is a 59cc ( I don't care about 1cc). The Dolmar saws interest me but I worry that since they are nowhere near as popular as Stihl and Husky that future parts availability will be scarce.

What is the general feeling on them? As far as quality goes how do they compare?

Considering:
Stihl MS361, MS460
Husqvarna 372XP
Dolmar?

Really? The Stihl less sturdy and softer? Troll, ya drinking again?
I am the furthest from a Stihl head you will find on this sight but I always thought stihls plastic was pretty tough stuff.At least they got something Right:popcorn:Oh and the handle is close but not perfect see how picky things can get. That is part of the fun!
Husky plastic get's a sunburn way too easy but you would think it would happen to the Sexy red haired sister, but it does not she does not even get freckles!
It's not a brand issue it is more to me what feels best. But of course Jred makes the best looking saw in the world some guy's are just scared to date a super model lol.

The Stihl ones generally feels softer and less sturdy than the Husky and Dolmar varieties to me - but it also varies by where it is used on a saw, as it should.....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange: :dizzy:

Only on the 361........

Go check out the Chi-com cylinder threads as of late and then decide if you want to throw down 9 bones on a Stihl, or 6-7 on a stronger running saw such as the Dolmar 7900 with a purtier cylinder:)

Back