Why would anyone run 100 to 1 premix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyPete

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was looking at various posts today and still can't believe it when I read about these super low mix rates. Does anyone think it is good for their saw to run on the edge of disaster. I would never run below 50 - 1 and normally run 40 - 1. If I need to remove any oil deposits more frequently I would rather do that than replace P&C's and bearings. I am running a new 357Xp at 32-1 to see what the long term effects are. My 372XPW and 395XP are 40-1 Ultra.

I was looking at various posts today and still can't believe it when I read about these super low mix rates. Does anyone think it is good for their saw to run on the edge of disaster. I would never run below 50 - 1 and normally run 40 - 1. If I need to remove any oil deposits more frequently I would rather do that than replace P&C's and bearings. I am running a new 357Xp at 32-1 to see what the long term effects are. My 372XPW and 395XP are 40-1 Ultra.

i would guess it is "cleaner burning" or is easier on a homeowner because of there being less smoke, but i think the 100:1 ratio is ONLY for synthetic oils

Yup, it's all in the oil. I don't know of any non-synthetic oil recommending 100:1, Opti is the closest non-synthetic at 80-something:1. I usually run opti at about 65:1.

Carbon deposits can be bad too. I've seen a lot of good saws with trashed pistons and/or cylinders because of carbon buildup.

Wasn't that long ago the same was said about 32:1......40:1.....50:1

Some people are using 71:1

Package is for one gallon of gas, by my math thats 71:1

attachment.php

I am running a new 357Xp at 32-1 to see what the long term effects are.

I recommend a 16:1 ratio for that saw.

Where's Gary?

Seriously, if Husqvarna prints 50:1 in their manual, pretty sure that's not an opinion. What do the manufacturer's know anyways?

I recommend a 16:1 ratio for that saw.

Where's Gary?

Seriously, if Husqvarna prints 50:1 in their manual, pretty sure that's not an opinion. What do the manufacturer's know anyways?

I thought that the drive for higher mix ratios was driven by EPA not common sense. 16-1 is a ridiculous comment, but of course you knew that.:clap: I have taken apart a lot of old saws and after 30 years of 32-1 they are remarkably clean and still have a lot of life left. I guess my point is does 75-1 or 100-1 really provide sufficient lubrication for long life? I'm not going to pretend that I know it all and that I believe all manufacturers claims.

Bombardier outboard engines can be programmed by the dealer to run 100:1. But you have to sign an agreement to run their oil for that. I have two acquaintances running their motors at this level right now, one for three years and no problems.

i would guess it is "cleaner burning" or is easier on a homeowner because of there being less smoke, but i think the 100:1 ratio is ONLY for synthetic oils

Funny you would mention that!
My 'universal" mix is 40:1 with Redline Racing or Amsoil Sabre synthetic oil and there is essentially no smoke with either once the engine is up to operating temperature.

Bombardier outboard engines can be programmed by the dealer to run 100:1. But you have to sign an agreement to run their oil for that. I have two acquaintances running their motors at this level right now, one for three years and no problems.

I understand that you can run outboards or water cooled engines pretty lean. They don't have the high temps of air cooled. I run Suzuki outboards that are auto injection and they don't use much oil. With air cooled two strokes the heat is more intense and the lubrication requirements are not as forgiving.The oil formulation is different because of the application.
In Jenkins book he noted that the best power for the Yamaha's was at approx. 20-1. He experienced lean seize at higher levels.

That's what we are celebrating today. The freedom to do as we want. Please remember any of your relatives who gave their lives for this country and thank you if you served in the military.

Please remember any of your relatives who gave their lives for this country and thank you if you served in the military.

Will do!!

I dont readily accept and embrace 100:1 anything :dizzy: It seems like more California bs to me. I could run my truck at 140 mph down the highway and probably live but I'm not gonna take that chance, now or ever :)

Funny you would mention that!
My 'universal" mix is 40:1 with Redline Racing or Amsoil Sabre synthetic oil and there is essentially no smoke with either once the engine is up to operating temperature.

yeah i guess it helps with emission compliance i still think emissions on 2cycles shouldn't be regulated

I run Amsoil saber @ 75:1 with Marathon 93 octane and 3 oz. seafoam in my 2.5 gal cans.

I have backed it down to 75:1 because the stuff was just too heavy at 50:1. I was very resistant to anything other than 50:1 but Saber is just too good of a lubricant and rated Jaso FD/ ISO L-EGD at 100:1

I was told by a reputable oil supplier that the 100:1 synthetic was orignally made and marketed mostly for emergency service,jaws of life,and fire saws to help keep from fouling plugs,and to burn as clean as possible when in use around emergency workers.
If you run at 100:1,you would need to lean out the jetting some,as the engine will be getting more fuel than at 50:1 or 32:1.

Latest posts

Back