‘Dings’ In Chain Catcher. Why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl Got It

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Every so often, a new divot appears in my chain catcher that I can only assume is being made by the chain. The thing is, the chain seems to be normal tightness. It ‘snaps’ back when I pull on it, and only 3 or 4 drive links are full visible when I do. In other words, the chain isn’t dragging and running into the catcher.
Anyone have an experience similar to this? Is there a way to ameliorate it? I guess I don’t want the chain catcher to eventually be cut right off, or for the chain to dull itself on the catcher for that matter.

Attachments

• E3A37AF8-5FA9-4354-A63F-4F29BC06A96C.jpeg
    E3A37AF8-5FA9-4354-A63F-4F29BC06A96C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 77
  • 9F1405DD-0E23-4A64-BB63-C420E555B489.jpeg
    9F1405DD-0E23-4A64-BB63-C420E555B489.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
  • 8BFB71C1-8B8F-4547-969D-33A26F552BBE.jpeg
    8BFB71C1-8B8F-4547-969D-33A26F552BBE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
When the chain comes off of the bar when it use, the 'chain catcher' catches it. It is a wear item that may need replaced from time to time. I get about 20 years out of mine.

Yours has caught a chain. It catches the chain so the chain has less of a chance to catch you.

When the chain comes off of the bar when it use, the 'chain catcher' catches it. It is a wear item that may need replaced from time to time. I get about 20 years out of mine.

Yours has caught a chain. It catches the chain so the chain has less of a chance to catch you.
But the chain has never come off the guide bar. Not once. My understanding of the chain catcher is that it catches the chain if the chain breaks and falls off the guide bar. Are you telling me that the catcher is catching the chain as it works normally? Sorry, I don’t understand.

But the chain has never come off the guide bar. Not once. My understanding of the chain catcher is that it catches the chain if the chain breaks and falls off the guide bar. Are you telling me that the catcher is catching the chain as it works normally? Sorry, I don’t understand.

Yes, the chain catcher catches the chain when it comes off of the bar.

In normal operation the chain should never contact the catch.

Your damaged chain catcher has surely come in contact with a chain in the past.

Yes, the chain catcher catches the chain when it comes off of the bar.

In normal operation the chain should never contact the catch.

Your damaged chain catcher has surely come in contact with a chain in the past.
Hmm. I wonder if my chain is grazing the chain catcher because it’s too loose.‍ But I’d be really shocked if that’s the case. It seems to be reasonably tight already. I can see about 80% of 3 or 4 drive links. I don’t want to have to adjust the chain so tight that it begins to wear out the saw.

If it was catching it, it would be far more damaged

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Hmm. I wonder if my chain is grazing the chain catcher because it’s too loose.‍ But I’d be really shocked if that’s the case. It seems to be reasonably tight already. I can see about 80% of 3 or 4 drive links. I don’t want to have to adjust the chain so tight that it begins to wear out the saw.

Your is showing hardly any damage and looks like maybe only two teeth came in contact. If it was loose and hitting I'd expect a lot more damage.

Put the chain on and adjust and send us a photo. I doubt it is a loose chain.

By the way, this whole thing is really a non issue because you have next to zero damage.

Your is showing hardly any damage and looks like maybe only two teeth came in contact. If it was loose and hitting I'd expect a lot more damage.

Put the chain on and adjust and send us a photo. I doubt it is a loose chain.

By the way, this whole thing is really a non issue because you have next to zero damage.
Thanks. Normal tension for me looks like this, top and bottom. Maybe one or two drive links are fully exposed.
I realize it may seem like a non-issue, but if it is chipping away at the chain catcher, I’m hoping that doesn’t mean it’s loose enough to pose a safety hazard.

Attachments

• EC529622-2654-405D-A185-0DE2783F0E6F.jpeg
    EC529622-2654-405D-A185-0DE2783F0E6F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • 0D45E881-311A-426C-AAAD-77286000EC13.jpeg
    0D45E881-311A-426C-AAAD-77286000EC13.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
Could be something kicked by the chain, or just banging around a truck... mine always look like this or worse after an outing or 2 even without throwing a chain or hitting anything.
They are super soft, I can tap one not all that hard with a cob wrench and put a massive dent into it:/
I personally don't worry about it anymore, mine all look way worse than yours, but I have personally never had one get worn/cut to the point of needing replacement, even throwing multiple chains & years of strange wear.
They look jagged, but the structure & meat is still there if needed.

Thanks. Normal tension for me looks like this, top and bottom. Maybe one or two drive links are fully exposed.
I realize it may seem like a non-issue, but if it is chipping away at the chain catcher, I’m hoping that doesn’t mean it’s loose enough to pose a safety hazard.

Can you show the chain and catcher in a photo?

I think it will be pretty obvious that this is not a loose chain issue.

Then loosen up the chain enough for it to hit the catcher and get a photo.

While like others have suggested the chain could have thrown something up and hit the catcher. But if so whatever it was left a damage signature exactly like that of a thrown chain.

The chain catch is there to be sacrificed instead of the thrown chain eating up a much more valuable piece of the saw. It's also there to stop the chain to protect the operator.

Your saw has a spur sprocket. Spur sprockets have more of a tendency to catch in a thrown chain than the more professional 'rim' type sprockets.

Your first pic looks like a loose chain. The catchers are made of aluminum so it doesn't take much (branch,twig) to mess them up. If your chain is hitting it you would have a dull chain pretty quick.

A loose chain, that loose to hit the catcher, would make you stop cutting within a second. Chains don't break, but they can be thrown off.
You'll notice that happening also.
The catcher is so soft, because the softer, the more chances the chain grabs, instead of breaking tooth and bouncing.
It scratches also when you just slap the chain against it when putting it on the bar.
But this looks like a chain has been thrown at low speed.
Could be something completely unrelated hit that thing bouncing in your trunk.
Could be someone else used your saw an forgot a new chain stretches a bit.

Back