015 recoil start spring winding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benz66

Used to sell firewood for $5 a face cord, deliverd
Reaction score
A year ago the rope on my 1977 vintage 015 was looking worn. Still the original rope. I took it back to the guy who sold it new. I figured I'd let him fool with it because I don't like fooling with the recoil starters. Today I started it had had trouble with the rope going back in. Then the rope stuck out and I could not get it to go back in. I took it apart and got the spring to wind it back in, but noticed the outer braided sheath was bunched up. In place of using braided nylon rope, he or his grandson had put in parachute cord. Braided outer sheath and fibers inside. I started it once and the rope was stuck out again. I took it apart and got braided nylon rope. But I have not been successful winding up the spring into the housing, and getting the rope spool back in and working. I looked to see if someone had posted a video or instructions about how to reassemble it. Nothing for the 015. Lots for other models and brand X saws and trimmers. Most of those have the spring wound inside the spool. The 015 has the spring wound inside the cast housing. The handle sticks up about 5 " so it is hard or impossible to wind it in the housing.

I tried winding it on the bench and tying it with zip ties. Twice I got it in the housing but the outer eye popped out while I was trying to remove the zip ties and it went Sproing! Is there a still official Stihl tool for this? Is there a method that works? The dealer is about 1000 miles from where I live now, so taking it back is not an option. The local stihlstealer told me last year when the electronic ignition died to "throw it out and buy a new one." Buzz! wrong answer! So I want to fix it, not take it to a dealer. The 015 suits me better than any new stihl. Thanks for any help or ideas!

When I had the spring tied up with zip ties, I think I should have tied it with 24 ga copper wire and taken the zip ties off first.

Thank you very much. Good info for installing a new spring. The new spring comes pre-wound. I found the factory method for a loose spring. You need a special tool,
1116 893 4800 that is a shallow cup you wind the spring into. Then you can plop the spring and winder onto the post, then slip the spring into the housing. In the stickies section I found a list of special tools by model. 015 is not in the list, but 017 is. I'd guess the same tool works for 015 too.

I was strongly suspecting there was a special tool involved. Unfortunately the tool seems to be made of unobtainium. None for sale online that I found. $60 if someone had one. probably $75 delivered. Not hard to make if I had a machine lathe. My idea of coiling the spring with zip ties, then tying it with copper wire, removing the zip ties, and sticking it in might work.

Your pages for the manual will be very handy when I get the spring coiled in the housing, for the further steps. Thanks again!

I've always been able to wind the spring back into its housing without special tools. Certainly some designs are easier than others and the 015 looks to be at the more difficult end. I get the spring anchored and make sure it's going in the right direction (not always obvious), then work on "walking" the spring back into its recess. The first loop or two are the most trying - the spring really wants to pop back out. The thumbs get a punishing as well - they must provide constant pressure on the spring to keep it "in the groove" so to speak.
I've done it dozens of times and would bet the 015 can be done by hand as well. Good luck!

Crazy idea, maybe? What if you wind it up in a shoe polish can, fill with water, freeze? Then work fast. Put something in the tin so as to leave a hole in middle of the spring-cube, if that’s needed for assembly.

I have an 009L but haven’t messed with recoil starter.

shoe polish can is a good idea. I was thinking of what kind of tin can I could cut down and use for the unobtanium tool. Only problem is I have not polished a shoe in decades. But the can I got in England in 1968 with 2 cherries on the lid, might be perfect....if I knew where it was....

4 or 5 finish nails on a block might work too. I clamped 2 rods 3/8"dia in the vice, almost touching, I put the center of the spring between them, then wound it up and used zip ties to hold it I had it in place a couple times but it popped out when I tried to remove the zip ties.

I'll try something again when I get time to work on it again. Thanks everyone.

As for winding it in the housing, I can't make it work because of the handle part sticking up 5" right above where the spring lives.

I knew a guy that had 4 nails hammered into his wooden workbench, and he would coil the spring inside. Then when it was wound, he would pick it up with needle nose pliers and insert into place.
That's a good idea.

Thanks. If are springs are delivered tied in wire, then my idea of getting it wound, then using 24 ga copper wire to hold it until I get it in the cover, is not far off. I found a dealer further out who didn't start by telling me to throw it out and buy a new saw, like the closest stealer did. I may just take it there and let them put the spring in.

Thanks. If are springs are delivered tied in wire, then my idea of getting it wound, then using 24 ga copper wire to hold it until I get it in the cover, is not far off. I found a dealer further out who didn't start by telling me to throw it out and buy a new saw, like the closest stealer did. I may just take it there and let them put the spring in.
That's what I would do, take it to someone who actually wants your business and not someone who just wants you to buy new from them. It's called customer service.

I am glad to report that the 015 is back up and running. I called an Ace hardware a couple towns over. They said "Sure, Bring it in" I took in the housing and the spring and associated parts, but not the saw itself. Two guys were jovially "fighting" over which would do it while I waited. I asked if I should buy a new spring and they said "no, this one is fine." Good! They passed another test! A few minutes later, they brought out the finished assembly. I left them a jackson and tax and was on my way. Tonight, I put it on the saw, cranked it up and went to work on the problem tree. The 14" bar just barely made it through the water oak, but it made quick work of it. Water oak is considered a "trash" tree, but it is still an oak. With the help everyone provided, I know I could have put it back together this weekend. It was worth a jackson to have the weekend to do other things. Thanks to all for the contributions. A hat tip to Paris Ace Hardware in Ocean Springs, MS I now have a good saw shop in N. WI and a good Stihl shop here! (and one I will Never set foot in again)

The little 015 seemed to run better than ever!

Next project is where to buy handle mounting springs for the Poulan pro 220... (I inherited it)

I am glad to report that the 015 is back up and running. I called an Ace hardware a couple towns over. They said "Sure, Bring it in" I took in the housing and the spring and associated parts, but not the saw itself. Two guys were jovially "fighting" over which would do it while I waited. I asked if I should buy a new spring and they said "no, this one is fine." Good! They passed another test! A few minutes later, they brought out the finished assembly. I left them a jackson and tax and was on my way. Tonight, I put it on the saw, cranked it up and went to work on the problem tree. The 14" bar just barely made it through the water oak, but it made quick work of it. Water oak is considered a "trash" tree, but it is still an oak. With the help everyone provided, I know I could have put it back together this weekend. It was worth a jackson to have the weekend to do other things. Thanks to all for the contributions. A hat tip to Paris Ace Hardware in Ocean Springs, MS I now have a good saw shop in N. WI and a good Stihl shop here! (and one I will Never set foot in again)

The little 015 seemed to run better than ever!

Next project is where to buy handle mounting springs for the Poulan pro 220... (I inherited it)
A little customer service goes a long way.

Another 015 question: I noticed one pawl spring on the flywheel looks sprung. The man at Paris Ace said he does not have a source for part numbers for the 015, but he was sure he had the parts. Does anyone have part numbers for the pawls and pawl springs? It is 1977-78 vintage, and is 015L, originally with electronic ignition. If I find pawls and springs, what is the method to remove and replace the pawl pins? They appear to be driven into the flywheel. Do I need to get new pins also? Thanks

Another 015 question: I noticed one pawl spring on the flywheel looks sprung. The man at Paris Ace said he does not have a source for part numbers for the 015, but he was sure he had the parts. Does anyone have part numbers for the pawls and pawl springs? It is 1977-78 vintage, and is 015L, originally with electronic ignition. If I find pawls and springs, what is the method to remove and replace the pawl pins? They appear to be driven into the flywheel. Do I need to get new pins also? Thanks
See part #5 for spring. Someone else will have to address the pin issue. HTH.

Attachments

• 015 Ign sys.pdf
    180.9 KB · Views: 0
See part #5 for spring. Someone else will have to address the pin issue. HTH.
Thanks! It helps a lot! Now I can order the springs and pawls. The pins in the drawing appear to be threaded, That helps too! I suppose there is a special tool for that too. But I'll betcha I can change them with my tools! Lil saw will be like new again! I used it again tonight!

Springs, pawls and Pins are NLA according to Stihl. No superseding number.
A post mortem on the new rope that died in a few uses: I thought the marks were orange, indicating stihl. Closere inspection in bright sunshine shows them to be red. I suspect the dealer who replaced it used a rope for echo string trimmers. Whatever the intent, it did not stand up with chainsaw use. It now has a rope with orange marks.

Springs, pawls and Pins are NLA according to Stihl. No superseding number.
A post mortem on the new rope that died in a few uses: I thought the marks were orange, indicating stihl. Closere inspection in bright sunshine shows them to be red. I suspect the dealer who replaced it used a rope for echo string trimmers. Whatever the intent, it did not stand up with chainsaw use. It now has a rope with orange marks.
Wonder if somebody can make those parts?, people are making parts for the oil pumps on the 011 etc saws so it should be able to be done.

Back