015 Stihl !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aokpops

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
For the most part I run Husqvarna . I bought this Stihl at a garage sale it ran really good . I went to shut it off and trouble started it would not shut off . OK just a simple fix what happen next was a tare down time bomb . For some reason I had rod bearing going every ware to put it together I was down to one to being done . At that time now 2 bearings short .

Seven years ago I ran into a similar situation while working on an 015. It's a lousy design and a first class PITA. I feel your pain. BTDT.
It's a saw that I never want to see ever again on my workbench.
I won't even tempt myself with a free 015, as I feel better without excessive frustration in my life.

There was one small saw I once owned that was more miserable to work on -- the McCulloch MiniMax that I gave to the Good Will. It was designed NOT to be repaired. My Stihl 010 AV is actually easier to work on than the 015 and perhaps my 015L is easier. However, I have never attempted to rebuild the top end of the 015L because it runs so well.

Tore one down recently and the small needle bearings I just used a small amount of clear silicon an stuck the bearing back in place and mounted the rod. After mounted took carb spray and dissolved the silicon and then oiled. I put new oil seals in, on the flywheel side behind the points and it ran like it should when finished.

There was one small saw I once owned that was more miserable to work on -- the McCulloch MiniMax that I gave to the Good Will. It was designed NOT to be repaired. My Stihl 010 AV is actually easier to work on than the 015 and perhaps my 015L is easier. However, I have never attempted to rebuild the top end of the 015L because it runs so well.
I will never work on one of those little McCullochs, I wasted way too much time on one once. Never again.

I could not agree more Harley it took me half a day to change the fuel filter.I give them to guys who brag about their mechanical skills they never seem to mention the liitle Mini Macs when you talk to them at a later date.
Kash

Back